Tamiya cutting mat warping issues

Durrett

I like the Tamiya cutting mats because of the quick reference measurements, but I have to say I am not very impressed with the heat resistance. I was forming a bit of 2 mil styrene with a MUJI TRAVEL HAIRDRYER, not a heat gun, and it warped my mat beyond all believable bounds. Seriously, it never occurred to Tamiya that a cutting mat for modeling might come into contact with temperatures slightly above room? So Now I am stuck with a (very) expensive for the UK piece of sculpture. I tried re heating it with said hairdryer and piling Argos catalogs on top, but when it cooled it went back to Frito shaped. I am open to any suggestions on how to fix this.

I've never heard of a cutting mat being temp resistant.

Art stores in my area warn of not leaving them in your car due them getting warped.

I inadvertently ruined a perfectly good cutting mat by setting a hot bowl of soup on it. I also tried heating the mat up and setting something on it to flatten out the warped spot, but it was never quite right again. Perhaps I should have shared that little lesson back when it happened. :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back