New Jedi Holoprojector

rchrz60

Hey all, I'm pretty new to the site, but I'm going to be making a Jedi Holoprojector for use with the Hologram figures. You'll be able to interchange the figures to suit your tastes, either Jedi or Sith. With as many hologram figures they have available now, it can get pretty interesting. I'll keep you posted with updates and pictures.

I just got done building a Star Destroyer Playset with working doors and mock computers, a landing dock, and a stair/fighting platform, if anyone is interested in the plans and instructions. My kids love it, and it was a pretty easy and fun build. I'm actually kind of sad to be done with it already.

You should also check out www.brianstoys.com if you're looking for the hologram figures for your build, thats where I got my Obi Wan Kenobi. It was only $4.99 and shipping wasn't bad. I just ordered it last night and I'll already have it today, standard shipping.

Thanks for your interests

Rygon

I will have a parts and pricing list up a little later today if anyone is interested. This build is from a few ideas from other people, as well as some cool updates by me. And as well all know any build boils down to parts, and style.

After a long search, and some advise from some friends, I'm off to go part hunting, wish me some luck.

Last edited:
Alright folks, the build is going ok, with a few minor hiccups.
Total cost so far:
Bubble Tape - $.99 (Citgo)
(2) Bright Blue LED’s $3.99 each (Radio Shack)
Spool of wire - $2.99 (Radio Shack)
(1) 9V Battery - $4.49 (Radio Shack)
(1) Blank circuit board - $1.99 (Radio Shack)
(1) 9V Battery Connector - $2.99 (5 pack only, Radio Shack)

I had some solder around the house that I used; otherwise you’ll have to by some.

I ran into a snag this morning when I originally hooked it up because I didn’t have a resistor connected between the battery and the LED’s. My batter got really hot, and I thought it would explode.

I ended up heading back to Radio Shack and picked up a set of 5 150OHM – 1/8W resistors.

You can find a good wiring diagram at www.ledcalc.com, and it will even tell you what resistors you would need to power your lights that you’re using.

I just got my Hologram Obi Wan Kenobi in the mail today, man that was fast. Really makes me want to get this done so I can see the full effect, but let’s not rush it.

Finally for today, because I am using the Bubble Tape container as my shell, I wanted to tweak it a little. I am using Drywall compound to fill in the ridges on the sides. I’m hoping this will adhere, but I did rough sand it before applying. Once that dries fully I will hopefully be able to sand it smooth for a more round shell, that would look more movie accurate.

I haven’t figured out a top grate yet that the figure will sit on, but I was thinking about using a soda can. Cutting it up, smoothing it out flat, cutting a circle, and then adding the detail and holes that I would need to allow for the light to shine through. I guess I’ll figure that out tomorrow.

Well I’m off to bed, as I have to work tonight, but here are the pictures of the materials, and progress thus far. Hope you like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just got up for work and took a look at the drywall compound. It's the pink stuff that turns white when dry. It is taking a little longer to dry because it's in my garage, and it's cold and rainy out. I'd bring it in the house to dry, but I have 4 small children, and no where is safe.

I was also looking at the light platform a little more closely, and I was a little disappointed that Obi Wan's head and torso didn't light up more. I know some of this has to do with the fact that, that area of the figure is thicker plastic, but maybe i'll add 1 more blue led to the board. I should still have room, but I'll keep you updated as I progress.

Happy Building,

Rygon

So, I'm kinda sad that no one has responded to my post. I figured this would be a popular item. Well I'm going to proceed with my post anyways. Who knows maybe someone someday will be looking for this prop and how to make it. With that being said.........

The first coat of drywall compound has dried and has been sanded. I was actually suprised that it is adhearing so well. I put another coat on to dry overnight, and I will sand it tomorrow. The only bad thing with drywall compound is that it is a little chalky, but once I have all the holes filled, and it's a smooth surface I'll spray on some matte finish sealer before priming.

Make sure if you're going this route to use the matte sealer. If you use a gloss or high gloss sealer, you're primer won't even stick. The matte sealer just seeps into the dried drywall compound and keeps it from chalking off.

I got the hole cut in the top of the bubble tape dispenser, and it looks like a good size. I use a spare round blank circuit board left from the lights build, cut lines in it with my dremil tool, and painted it a high reflective silver paint that you can find at an ace hardware. I'll post some more pictures up tomorrow so you can see the progress, and again I'll probably add one more led bulb to the lights, just to make sure that it's bright enough.

Happy propping everyone,

Rygon

Quick update on the Obi Wan Figure from www.brianstoys.com they have a coupon for 15% off any order of $75.00 or more. I personally am a Star Wars fan, so it was easy to spend that much between a few figures and a few ships, so the code came in handy. When you check out just put in the code 15OFF, and you'll get the discount.

***Help with Jedi Holoprojector***

So I've ran into a wall and need some help. I was in the middle of my Jedi Holoprojector build, when I decided to add 1 more LED because the current way was not lighting up the figure all the way. In doing that I had to add another 9V battery, which means that it won't fit in my bubble tape container I was modding. I don't want to have to reduce the battery power because the light would be too dim, and I don't want to reduce the number of bulbs because then the figure won't light up and I'd have to ask, what's even the point of the project?

I'm trying to find a slightly bigger container for the 2 9V Batteries, Small Round Circuit Board (with 3 LED's attached), and misc wires.) Does anyone have any ideas?

Please Help!!!!

Thanks

Last edited:
So I ran into some snags today. First, the drywall compound was still too soft, and I think that's because I had to use so much of it. I originally wanted to build out the sides, but now I think I'm only going to use a small amount and fill in the groves on the sides, because the movie prop was smooth all the way around.

Second issue was the lights. I had to add another LED because the top half of the figure wasn't lit up. In doing this I also had to add another 9V battery otherwise the three bulbs running off of one battery was too dim. Now the entire thing is too big to fit into the bubble tape container. I think I'm going to have to rething this one.

I am looking at using the small, flat, square, 4-pin LED's which from what I just read have a higher intensity output than the one's I have now. I also think they require less power to run, so I think I can step it back down to 2 AAA batteries. I guess we'll find out. I'm taking a break from this project for a day of two to really think about it, and calm down because it's getting frustrating.

I'll keep this post updated as work progresses.

I can't believe that no one else responded to this. I love stuff like this, thanks for the link, I might order an Emperor from them. Can't wait to see this finished, will follow...

Definitely interested in this.. do you have any new progress photos? Keep it up! Sounds like a very cool project.

Hey thanks for the interest. No new pictures yet. I'm having a little trouble with the batteries and the size of the case. I should have it worked out in a day or so, and I'm hoping to be back on track. I'll keep you all posted.

Ok, so this is quickly going from a creation to a modification. I was not happy with the way that the bubble tape container turned out. I just bought a holo projector toy from amazon for about $3.91 + shipping, which was nothing because I have amazon prime.

The figure comes with a Qui-Gon figure. It's a little big, but I think it will give me the space I need to fit the bulbs and batteries I am using.

I'm going to disconnect the current battery holder for the 2 AA batteries and flashlight bulb holder.

Next I will remove the turn knob that is seen on the side, and use that hole, or expand that hole a little so that my switch will fit there.

My circuit board and batteries should fit in this case, and to change the batteries you can just unscrew the 4 small screws to access the batteries.

So with the help of paint to figure things out, this is how I'm hoping it will look and fit.

The pictures show the inside, but yes when I actually do the work, the old battery holder will be disconnected.

I also mocked up the front to show the blue light coming through, I will have to cut out those grooves a little better, but that's what the dremel tool is for.

I also think I am going to sand the pieces a little and touch them up with some silver and gold paint, so that they don't look so plastic.

I'll keep posting as long as you keep reading.

FINISHED!!!!! (I Think)

Here are some pictures of what I think is the finished project. I thought about touching up the paint to make it look newer, but I also kinda like the way it looks beat up.

Well let me know what you think.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back