Reshaping PVC pipe

The Rock-a-who

Hi all,

I'm working on the hand controls of the comic-version of the Rocketeer.

I have some rings made from cutting PVC pipes, but for the ring that goes around the palm of the hand, I need to reshape it some and don't know the best way to accomplish this.

The rings are from a 3" pipe, with a .25" thick wall, about 1" tall/thick.

I thought heating it with a hair dryer might do the trick, but with the thickness of the pipe's wall, I don't think it could generate enough heat to soften the plastic. Other thoughts include using a blowtorch, or even setting them in an oven at a low heat (200 degrees maybe?) until it softens.

But I wanted to post here and see if anyone has a better idea to do this.

Basically I just need to soften it enough to change the shape from a circle to (roughly) an oval/oblong.

Thanks

EDIT: FYI for anyone's interested, here's a few shots of the hand controls in the comic.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8UYCuLzpiBs/TMITTd64p_I/AAAAAAAABHw/RIHwbgAf7qM/s1600/rocketeer_1.jpg

Last edited:
I have not tried to attempt what you are suggesting, but I can tell you that if put a blow torch to the PVC you will just burn it. I learned that helping my Dad's plumbing business while going to college. I'm not sure if PVC is the right material for what you want to accomplish.

A heat gun will make short work of it, turns PVC to a noodle... Just don't rush it or else you will blister the surface...

Goes without saying that if you are going to heat the PVC to the point that it could char or smoke such as using a torch, do so outside or somewhere with good ventilation.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back