Game of Thrones

Maybe she didn't mention Ary because she didn't trust Little Finger or anyone else there with that info. That's probably why she asked to speak to her alone. Or it could also be that if she says she met Arya, Sansa will wonder why Arya is not with her under her protection and why she ran away from Brienne. Therefore, Sansa may think she killed Arya and is meaning to kill her as well

Good points. I wonder if it will take over this story arc from the books...

In the books Jeyne Poole was turned into a fake Arya Stark and married off to Ramsay Snow. Maybe Sansa will be married to Ramsay instead? Which leaves open a chance for Theon to rescue her later, as in the book.
http://groupthink.jezebel.com/why-jeyne-pooles-story-is-among-the-most-tragic-in-wes-1562851009

Sure enough, Sansa is betrothed to Ramsey. I was kind of surprised by that. I though the Harry the Heir thing would pan out, but obviously not. Poor Sansa though, I think she actually wound up with someone worse than Joffery. Also that girl who is Ramsey's "lover"?/hunting partner didn't look too happy. Looks like she's got some things in store
As far as Brienne...
It wonder if she might possibly pick up what would have been Mance and the spearwives "Ghost of Winterfell" role to aid in a rescue for Theon and Sansa to escape

It also looks like we won't be seeing "young Griff" since Jorah already has Tyrion.

I also like the glimpse at Qyburn's work.

Sure enough, Sansa is betrothed to Ramsey. I was kind of surprised by that. I though the Harry the Heir thing would pan out, but obviously not. Poor Sansa though, I think she actually wound up with someone worse than Joffery. Also that girl who is Ramsey's "lover"?/hunting partner didn't look too happy. Looks like she's got some things in store
As far as Brienne...
It wonder if she might possibly pick up what would have been Mance and the spearwives "Ghost of Winterfell" role to aid in a rescue for Theon and Sansa to escape

It also looks like we won't be seeing "young Griff" since Jorah already has Tyrion.

I also like the glimpse at Qyburn's work.

Yep. I think Brienne will be involved in the Ghosts of Winterfell plotline. Still, I wonder what's in store for Tormund.
As for Young Griff, I say the cut is good.
Overall, I'm not displeased with all of the changes that have been made so far. Can't wait to see more of Dorne and the Sandsnakes...

Yep. I think Brienne will be involved in the Ghosts of Winterfell plotline. Still, I wonder what's in store for Tormund.
As for Young Griff, I say the cut is good.
Overall, I'm not displeased with all of the changes that have been made so far. Can't wait to see more of Dorne and the Sandsnakes...

I could still see them bringing in the character later, but introducing him in some other way than what's depicted in the books. It'll kind of depend on whether he's a genuine threat or whether he's a red herring that gets taken out quickly. I've always kind of assumed that "Young Griff"/"Aegon VI" is actually more like a Perkin Warbeck of the story -- a pretender to the throne who actually just resembles the dead prince physically, and is backed by a few minor rebels looking to put a Targaeryan on the throne again, but whose revolt fails and is quickly dispatched. I suspect that, if this is the case, the Griff/Jon Connington angle is going to end up being that he's been flummoxed by the rest of the plot's supporters and dies in vain.

In other words, he'll end up being yet another interesting-but-unnecessary plot thread. I appreciate these in the books most of the time, but I find they tend to drag on too long like a bad SNL sketch, well past the point of providing entertainment.

As for Littlefinger...

I'm guessing his plan is pretty simple. Marry Sansa to Ramsey Bolton, and have Roose and Ramsey meet with unfortunate accidents, thereby restoring Sansa to her place as Lady of the North. Littlefinger then would marry Sansa himself, and their son and heir would rule both the Riverlands and the North. He'd have legitimate claims due to Sansa's Stark and Tully blood. Let's not forget that Littlefinger is not merely the current nominal ruler of Harrenhal, but is also slated to be the ruler of the Riverlands once the Tully revolt is put down at Riverrun. His influence in the Vale would essentially allow him to control the northern 2/3 of the Seven Kingdoms, assuming he can get the Freys and the Reeds to comply.

Fun side note: this is almost exactly what I did in the Crusader Kings 2 Game of Thrones mod. :)

Holy crap, Looks like Ser Barristan is dead. Sons of the Harpy scenes were great.

That scene with Stanis and his daughter was great as well

I really like how they are handling things

I dunno. It just seems like with a 10 episode season, things aren't moving very well.... especially with them starting the crap of shorting us on the episode lengths again. Seriously, if you block out an hour for a show, it should actually run an hour, IMO, not just 50 minutes.

Also, is it just me, or are the Unsullied kind of looking... overrated... in terms of their fighting prowess? Grey Worm is still badass, but he was pretty much the only one.

Also, is it just me, or are the Unsullied kind of looking... overrated... in terms of their fighting prowess? Grey Worm is still badass, but he was pretty much the only one.

I agree, considering their supposed fighting prowess they should have done much better against the Sons of Harpies in those fights than they showed. Getting picking off one at a time in an ambush is one thing but getting their butts handed to them in a stand up fight is another. This is especially of the last fight where they were trapped in that room, that kind of environment is ideal for fighting in a shield wall with spears, you don't have to worry about your flanks and the lack of room is no real drawback since you don't need to swing a spear but you do need to swing a sword.

Daenarys certainly got what she paid for with the Unsullied. They don't look intimidating and they can be taken out by some random masked former slave owners who are almost certainly not trained from childhood in combat.

I kind of like how they made the Sons of the Harpy much more of a real threat as opposed to in the books where they kind of picked off a random unsullied here or there.

Although I do agree, in that room, the unsullied should have given a better fight staying in formation with their shields

Also the Petyr and Sansa moment in the tombs I think was a pretty big setup possible for the R + L = J theory. Something they haven't bothered to touch on until now. Martin has stated that one popular fan theory is actually 100% on the mark. I wonder if that is the one.

http://www.avclub.com/article/george-rr-martin-says-some-fans-have-already-figur-208060

Also, to those who wonder if Selmy is really dead in the show
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/01/ser-barristan-dead-thrones

Last edited:
Was the scene between Stannis and his daughter in the books, or was it something they wrote specifically for the show?

And so someone purposely inflicted her with the scales?

(great scene, btw)

It wasn't in the books but it think it did a good job of summarizing Stannis' feelings for his daughter that you pick up through various points of view from others.

While I don't recall a point of view chapter from Shireen, and we definitely never had one for Stannis the only way you get certain info is from other people's point of views. I could be wrong, but I remember Stannis kind of being protective of his daughter and in typical Stannis fashion, him doing whatever should be done for a princess despite what others might say he should do.

Also, I think I remember Stannis freaking out when Cersei spread that rumor that Shireen was Patchface's child, not Stannis'

Speaking of Shireen. I wonder if they are setting her up to take the place of...
Mance Rayder's baby. Since he seems to have been excised from the story, It could be that Melisandre will be pushing Stannis to use her royal blood. That scene between Stannis and Shireen may have been a set up to make use get more emotionally invested in to her character. It could be that Stannis or Selys may talk Jon into sending her away south with Sam and Aemon once they find out Melisandre's intentions, or maybe Jon just takes it upon himself once he finds out what she is up to.

I thought the same thing about the Unsullied fight. That was just a poorly written scene. BTW, who is the body on the table that the one maester guy has on his table in Kings Landing? I thought it was The Mountain, but a friend said he is dead.

I thought the same thing about the Unsullied fight. That was just a poorly written scene. BTW, who is the body on the table that the one maester guy has on his table in Kings Landing? I thought it was The Mountain, but a friend said he is dead.

While Mountain was poisoned by Oberyn, it was a type of poison that quite didn't outright kill him right away but left him in severe agony on the path to a very slow death.

Cersei sent him to have the Maesters, giving Qyburn permission to pretty much do whatever he wanted with the Mountain.

While it hasn't really been officially revealed as the Mountain yet, there is a character who mysteriously shows up around the same time named Robert Strong who does not talk or show his face.

He is named to the Kingsguard.

That character has a physical description that matches the mountain as far as being an 8 foot tall hulking mass, except of course no one has seen any part of face his let alone hear him talk

When Prince Doran asks for the Mountain's body, he only gets sent an unrecognizable cleaned skull.

We don't know yet for sure, but it is a pretty good bet that Robert Strong is a reanimated/zombified Mountain, with or without a head.

There was also one of those prophecy type visions Bran had where he sees a giant with stone armor and a helmet, but when he opened the visor there was nothing inside but blackness and thick black blood.

So if the TV show follows suit to what the books hint at, that thing on the table is probably the Mountain

Speaking of Shireen. I wonder if they are setting her up to take the place of...
Mance Rayder's baby. Since he seems to have been excised from the story, It could be that Melisandre will be pushing Stannis to use her royal blood. That scene between Stannis and Shireen may have been a set up to make use get more emotionally invested in to her character. It could be that Stannis or Selys may talk Jon into sending her away south with Sam and Aemon once they find out Melisandre's intentions, or maybe Jon just takes it upon himself once he finds out what she is up to.

I think that's very, very likely.

The Mountain thing has been explained.

As for the Unsullied's fight, the ONLY justification for it that I can see is that they were tactically outmaneuvered to a point where their spears couldn't really be used effectively. In tight quarters, especially in a tight formation, they'd have no way to really break through unless they could outlast the Sons in the room. But that presumes no one else is coming. The Unsullied could hold a defensive position for quiet some time, I expect, but they had no real offensive capability with the spears UNTIL enough of them fell that the spears could be used laterally the way Grey Worm does (e.g, all those spin moves).

All that said, I was SEVERELY underwhelmed by their performance in the fight. They're supposed to be some of the most fearsome fighters in the world, and yet they get taken out by a bunch of whiny nobles in masks with daggers. Granted, they're outnumbered, but it just rang false to me.

I loved the look Littlefinger gave Sansa after her comment about Rhaegar kidnapping and raping Lyanna Stark.

Oh yeah. I think the R+L=J thing is at the very least headed towards being real on the show, and is likely going to be revealed in the books.

Other thoughts.

I. HATE. Dany's Iraq story. I hate it. It's slow, it's infuriating, it's boring, and everything I know about it says it serves ZERO purpose. In a way, it's worse to me than Brienne's Book 4 storyline, because it gives you teh hint that something big is gonna happen, and then totally cops out. All it proves is that Dany is an AWFUL ruler, even if she's a good person, and it belabors that point past what is tolerable.

I know there's more coming for that story that will make it more interesting, but ***** it is slow, plodding, and stupid. And when she eventually leaves this quagmire of a city, I hope she ****ing learns something from it and maybe learns how to be a better ruler.

I
As for the Unsullied's fight, the ONLY justification for it that I can see is that they were tactically outmaneuvered to a point where their spears couldn't really be used effectively. In tight quarters, especially in a tight formation, they'd have no way to really break through unless they could outlast the Sons in the room. But that presumes no one else is coming. The Unsullied could hold a defensive position for quiet some time, I expect, but they had no real offensive capability with the spears UNTIL enough of them fell that the spears could be used laterally the way Grey Worm does (e.g, all those spin moves).

I'd argue that the Unsullied would have had no problems with a tight shield formation and using their spears offensively, that's how spears are meant to be used when paired with a shield. Most spears are primarily thrusting weapons and do poorly when used like a sword and swung about, can you do that, sure but you're not likely to do more than inflict minor wounds. Against a well trained force, like the Unsullied, a bunch of dagger armed thugs should have had no chance in hell, the SoH would have to try to close in very close in order to get within knife/dagger range which would give the Unsullied plenty of opportunities to run them through with their spears. Lets also not forget those shields, a dagger/knife is not going to get around shield wall and if they try they're going to get a face full of shield.

Lastly, I totally agree with the Dany in Iraq storyline, it's on the boring side and really stretched out. I think that Goerge RR Martin gets too caught in certain story/plot lines and, like certain directors, just doesn't know how to edit his work and trim the fat and make the story flow. He was doing fine until book 4, with books 4 & 5 he really got too caught up in the world that he had created and seemed to be more focused on showing us this world rather than moving the story forward.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back