Game of Thrones

So it looks like HBO Go's show info for last night might have confirmed a major character before it was taken down:

This Accidental Game Of Thrones Spoiler Just. Changed. Everything.

I seriously just did a little happy dance when I read the name "Night's King"! I am LOVING where they're taking this and I don't mind one bit that things are different from the book if this is what we're going to get. It totally makes sense. This is stuff that has likely been going on off-screen since we don't have a POV character in the far north where the scene took place.

That was the end of Season 2, I think. I'm not sure how fast they're moving south, exactly. Might've been an advance force, but that's what's pushing the Wildlings south.

Ahh, okay, thanks - yeah, I've kept that march in the back of my head as I thought it was going to kick off the subsequent season - the scene felt very "invasion force on the move" if that makes sense...

Locke's looking for Bran and Rickon. When Reek told Roose and Ramsey that he didn't kill the Stark boys Roose sent Locke to find them. He obviously started at the Wall figuring one or both might go there to seek protection with Jon. He overheard Jon and Sam discussing Bran and the possibility that he went to Craster's Keep, so he volunteered to tag along to see if Bran's there.

Saying "no" the whole way through the act seems rapey to me, despite returning the kiss before he forced himself on her.

So is Locke the guy who Jon Snow shook hands with after sword training? If so I totally didn't make that connection.

My main complaint about Locke is that he isn't Vargo Hoat, with his band of Bloody Mummers... that was IMO a more memorable character. I'm not overly concerned about the occasional deviation from the book. They tend to circle back to where they ought to be after a while.

I was all kinds of excited about the bit with the Others at the end. One of my husband's first comments after reading the books was that the White Walkers didn't look like the Others were described, so I replied that they must be something other than the Others. It's nice to be right sometimes. ;)
What? They've always been one and the same.

This is just the first time the show's been able to dig deeper and tell parts of the story that Martin never told in the books. Given Martin's heavy involvement with the show, I would consider this canon... I don't think the showrunners would have done something like that scene without Martin's okay. It's just something he never bothered to put into the books up to now.

I think what we saw in the episode is just a glimpse of a sort of hierarchy among them, a little bit of their society for the audience to get a glimpse of.

I'm not particularly fond of the design change, either, mostly in regards to how they're portrayed rather than how they look. In the books, their armor and weapons make it very clear that they're an intelligent, well-developed, highly sophisticated and cultured race, easily equal to the most developed and civilized areas of Westeros, whereas in the show they're (so far) presented as being more like cavemen, with little to no advancements or technology, using weapons strung together like rocks on the end of sticks and barely capable of speech, if at all. Maybe if there is a hierarchy among them, as this scene implies, then we may yet get to see something akin more to the books' description, but even the guy at the end of this episode didn't fit the description, either.

I don't buy it only because that is the type of subtlety you usually see in the books. The show, on the other hand, is notorious for never being that subtle. Plus, I can't see Benioff and Weiss keeping quiet about something like that. They love pointing out how clever they think they are. They would've revealed it by now. Then, there was that little subtitle at the end where it says yes, this is a joke.

I don't buy it only because that is the type of subtlety you usually see in the books. The show, on the other hand, is notorious for never being that subtle. Plus, I can't see Benioff and Weiss keeping quiet about something like that. They love pointing out how clever they think they are. They would've revealed it by now. Then, there was that little subtitle at the end where it says yes, this is a joke.

Ahh, for some reason that didn't show up on mine. :(

Other people put that theory out there when the character was first introduced. It was basically just a bunch of odd coincidences that led to fans reading way too much into things that had way simpler explanations. First, there was the fact that the character was actually going to be called Jayne. Then, since they had changed her backstory so much, GRRM suggested to just rename her. Then, even her made up backstory was inconsistent which led fans to believe that was on purpose. Really, it just adds up to sloppy story telling. Unusual for this show, I know, but I notice it tends to happen when they stray too far from the source material. Its why I always get nervous when they do that. I'm just so weird that I kind of enjoy that type of anxiety. :D

At the end of was is Season 2? 3? All those White Walkers seemed to be on the march towards what I thought was the wall? Time wise shouldn't they have gotten to where they were going by now, or are they just mounting a force of some kind?

Weren't they marching on the Fist of the First Men or whatever that hill was called that the Night's Watch was camped on>

IIRC, in the books she isn't a spy per se, but her family was working with the Lannisters, (unknown to her) which led to the clandestine marriage, and the resulting Red Wedding. I saw it as Tywin playing the Long Game version of the Game of Thrones.

Looks like he got them...

2a0c68996ab3a9514d74d38cec4ce840-gif-of-the-day-the-hound-does-the-chicken-dance.gif

Disney-fied House Portraits:

house_lannister.jpg

house_baratheon.jpg

house_targaryen.jpg

house_stark.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back