Game of Thrones

Boring? Are you kidding?

I just have to call you out on this.

A well written story should not have to cater to the crass mentality of an explosion, car chase or gruesome death in every scene to accommodate the 10-second attention span of bottom-feeders. (Not that I’m calling you that)

I'm sorry I stopped reading that to think about explosions. :lol

I agree I don't think there's been anything boring. My dad watches it and complains that there's too many people to follow and that he's losing interest in it. I was like "Are you kidding me?!"

I really appreciate how the show has fleshed out such a intricate story. It's always interesting when you can look far back in the show and see how someone has evolved or how they were involved with this incident, or how that incident led to future incidents, etc., etc...

BUT I STILL NEED MORE 'SPLOSIONS!!:popcorn

how-to-train-your-drogon-371x550.jpg

And besides that, to paint such a broad brush of ‘boring’ to something is just so dismissive and simplistic. Jeez, if Game of Thrones is boring, what the heck isn’t boring to you?

How does having such a jaded perspective contribute in any way?

Sorry, don't recall needing your permission to comment on anything. But yeah, last episode, pretty boring. I didn't say the SERIES was boring, because if you thought that then clearly your reading comprehension needs work. But the last episode? Boring. Even the scene in the crypt with Jamie and Cersei was an attempt at a forced shock, rather than an adaptation of the book. Point me to anything I said about needing explosions as well, because, well, you're clearly not paying attention because I never said such a thing. It was really awful as an episode. Martin should insist the writer for that episode be fired for such a blatant disregard of the source material.

Am I the only one who noticed that he didn't actually rape her?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

In the book, Cersei goes from saying no no no to yes yes yes. In the show I only heard her say no I dont want this. What did you hear\see? The director claims that because she wrapped her legs around him, that made it consensual. Weiss and Benioff, in the behind the scenes posted to YouTube, say Jaime forced himself on her. So, I guess it all depends on who's version you want to accept. To me, it came off pretty rapey in the show.

I only ever read the first book so no idea how it went in the books t compare it, but her helping him rip her dress off and leaning in to kiss him and wrapping her legs around him to pull him into her led me to believe she wanted it. I was surprised afterward when people were saying he raped her.

They went pretty off the rails at this point!

Locke at castle black?
Bran and the others captured by mutinous night's watchmen?
Jon heading to Craster's keep?

the white walker stuff at the end. Interesting to see where they might be heading.

Also even in the books we haven't had a glimpse of the white walker's like that

What.The.F.Was.That?

About 95% of that episode bordered on 'fan fiction' The only parts I recall being in the book were the scene with Jaime/Brienne and part of the scene with Sansa/Littlefinger. The stuff with Bran, Jon Snow, Margaery (who has the most expressive face on an actress I think I've ever seen) was just completely out of left field. For a show that has made great effort to remain true to the books, they made a hard right into 'new material' in this episode. I'm actually going to be upset if Bran and Jon have any time on screen because they really shouldn't.

That said, I think showing us SOMETHING about the White Walkers is good. There's always a danger of oversaturating a story with the bad guy, but Martin went completely in the other direction in the books with almost never showing us anything about them. It was interesting to actually see them, and even get confirmation they turn people into White Walkers.

- - - Updated - - -

Locke at castle black?

No kidding. I'm guessing he's there to kill Jon Snow on someone's orders, to make sure there's no chance of him ever returning to Winterfell.

Loved it.

I have to say that my favorite scene was the Jamie/Brienne scenes. You can tell there's some serious chemistry between the two of them, and it shows in spades.

Mad props to Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and Gwendoline Christie for their subtle, yet highly charged interactions.

Locke's looking for Bran and Rickon. When Reek told Roose and Ramsey that he didn't kill the Stark boys Roose sent Locke to find them. He obviously started at the Wall figuring one or both might go there to seek protection with Jon. He overheard Jon and Sam discussing Bran and the possibility that he went to Craster's Keep, so he volunteered to tag along to see if Bran's there.

Saying "no" the whole way through the act seems rapey to me, despite returning the kiss before he forced himself on her.

Locke's looking for Bran and Rickon. When Reek told Roose and Ramsey that he didn't kill the Stark boys Roose sent Locke to find them. He obviously started at the Wall figuring one or both might go there to seek protection with Jon. He overheard Jon and Sam discussing Bran and the possibility that he went to Craster's Keep, so he volunteered to tag along to see if Bran's there.

Good call sir. I couldn't remember what transpired between Locke and Bolton last episode.

I only ever read the first book so no idea how it went in the books t compare it, but her helping him rip her dress off and leaning in to kiss him and wrapping her legs around him to pull him into her led me to believe she wanted it. I was surprised afterward when people were saying he raped her.

I don't recall that, but maybe it was there. The scene certainly played pretty rapey in terms of him forcing her. But I gather the director thought it looked mostly consensual enough, so they're just moving past it. Which seems a shame because it makes the violence of the act look casual and purely there for creating a watercooler moment. Not good. If you're gonna use rape in a story, you'd better use it to good purpose. I thought its use in showing the awfulness of the guys at Craster's was acceptable if perhaps belaboring the point, for example.

Anyway, disappointing that they aren't really dealing with it and are, instead, just saying "Whatevs. It was mutual," and moving on.

They went pretty off the rails at this point!

Locke at castle black?
Bran and the others captured by mutinous night's watchmen?
Jon heading to Craster's keep?

the white walker stuff at the end. Interesting to see where they might be heading.

Also even in the books we haven't had a glimpse of the white walker's like that

What I've come to believe is that the 2nd half of Book 3 has just enough big stuff in it that it requires its own season to tell, but not enough action to keep things moving during the whole season. I think Book 4 is pretty similar in that regard. So much of both of those are setup, discussion, and internal monologue. As a result, I think they're having to create "active filler." So, stuff that doesn't appear at all in the books, but which won't (hopefully) undermine what's in the books. So, Bran gets captured, along with Summer and Ghost, but they'll all escape before the Nights Watch guys get there, or they won't be seen in the confusion of the attack, and will escape.

As for the White Walkers...CREEPY. But not entirely unforseen. I kinda figured they were turning the babies. The questions, though, are why and how. But I like that we're being given a bit of a glimpse at them.

Its kind of refreshing to finally not know what's going to happen on the show now. Weird, but enjoyable. I just wonder how much, if any, of that scene with the Others will be in the book. I know GRRM told the showrunners how it ends, but seeing as how they've made other changes, there's no guarantee that will be in the books. I love how just when I start to settle in and think I know exactly what's going to happen, BAM!, the show hits me with something from out of nowhere! :D

I was all kinds of excited about the bit with the Others at the end. One of my husband's first comments after reading the books was that the White Walkers didn't look like the Others were described, so I replied that they must be something other than the Others. It's nice to be right sometimes. ;)

Like Kahl Drogo, I feel it's kind of exciting having these left-field changes come at us. I love seeing the bits that are straight up out of the book (Brienne and Jaime had me all misty-eyed), but I don't mind them throwing us a curve now and then either. I trust the show-runners enough at this point that they're not going to let things get too far off the rails.

At the end of was is Season 2? 3? All those White Walkers seemed to be on the march towards what I thought was the wall? Time wise shouldn't they have gotten to where they were going by now, or are they just mounting a force of some kind?

That was the end of Season 2, I think. I'm not sure how fast they're moving south, exactly. Might've been an advance force, but that's what's pushing the Wildlings south.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back