Game of Thrones

I know who the character Yara is based on. I've read all the books several times. They way she's been rewritten, though, its basically a new character. My point was just that I'm glad they don't seem to be doing something similar with Daario. Since I haven't actually seen anything from S4, its entirely possible they've done just that. Keeping my fingers crossed, though! :)

Even though he's being recast for the second time, I'm pretty happy about The Mountain being recast. The second actor just looked like some really tall basketball player, not someone you'd describe as The Mount Who Rides. Even though I think the first to play Gregor was pretty good, this new guy looks really great in the trailer.

Daario's recasting is kind of unfortunate as well, but if the actor couldn't come back, then I'd rather he be recast than written out or transformed into a new character ala "Yara" or "Talisa". :rolleyes

Yeah, agreed on the 2nd iteration of The Mountain. Conan Whatshisface looked the part, but maybe he couldn't act well enough. Plus, he looked kinda overweight. Monstrously strong, but with a bit of a belly. This guy just looks like a freakin' monster. In other words, perfect for the part.

I didn't see a problem with Gregor's original actor (for all of the what.. one or two shots he appeared in), but I thought Ian Whyte was too skinny for the role (he's not called "The Mountain" just because he's tall).

So I looked up the new guy. His name's Hafthor Julius Bjornsson. Okay, sounds like a good start. Strong Nordic name. Then I looked up a picture:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/52252d8ccbfa614b294a349037a2f9e0/tumblr_muffdxeoXF1qis07wo1_500.jpg

My reaction:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lyGp4HlY-Tw/T645esTo7XI/AAAAAAAABJU/Neo1vCld5Ok/s1600/sweet-*****.gif

I'd say that about sums it up nicely!

Yara's not a new character. They just renamed Asha because it sounds too much like Osha and people would probably get confused.

I know who the character Yara is based on. I've read all the books several times. They way she's been rewritten, though, its basically a new character. My point was just that I'm glad they don't seem to be doing something similar with Daario. Since I haven't actually seen anything from S4, its entirely possible they've done just that. Keeping my fingers crossed, though! :)

I don't think she's been THAT rewritten. I think they're setting up quite a bit of the dynastic struggles that you'll see with the Iron Isles later on. I'd actually kinda prefer that Daario be renamed but be the same character, if only to help keep it clear WHO this new guy is. As for Talisa, it wasn't just that they renamed her. They also...uh...did a good bit more with her. Jayne Westerling is kind of a non-character in the books (well, up to Book 4. I don't know if Book 4 has her take on more of an important part.), so having Talisa be more of a real character makes sense to me. If Jayne isn't in the books past Book 3 in any real fashion, then I don't see much of a problem with how they handled Talisa.

While the Jeyne Westerling character herself wasn't (and still isn't up until book 5) a major character, changing her into Talisa and making her from Volantis removed a whole aspect of the Red Wedding that made that vile act even more devastating than if it was just Tywin and Walder Frey scheming on their own. Of course, the show then went a little further by making her pregnant, present at the RW, and then murdered. So I suppose its 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I dunno. I think I just did a 180 on that whole thing. Oops. :lol

I don't know how she plays in to book 5, or if there'll be some other way they'll substitute for her if she does. I guess I'll find out when I read it. But it just seemed like she was more of a background character, mentioned here or there, but otherwise not that important. Thus, with Talisa, you at least cared about her.

In the books after the red wedding, I believe the only time she shows up is when Jamie visits her parents and possibly hints that she might be pregnant based on a mental observation about her.

Other than that she has nothing to do with the story anymore, so killing her off changes nothing at this point. The only way it would change the story is in the books if it was confirmed she was actually pregnant and has Robb's child. Then you run into a set up that is hard to work around.

The only real meaningful difference between her book version and tv show version
was whether she was knowingly in on the plot that Tywin set up with her family to bring about Robb's ruin

The producers know basically how the story will end, and they killed the Jayne stand-in. I think it's a safe bet she's not going to figure into the story in any way that'll affect the show's decision to off her.

I don't recall Jamie speculating that Jayne was pregnant, but the fans were speculating she was which led to a swap with her sister because Jamie's description of her didn't match Catelyn's (specifically the hips). GRRM confirmed that was a mistake on his part though. Book 5 is also basically just about the North and Essos, so Jayne wouldn't have shown up even if she was important in any way.

The producers know basically how the story will end, and they killed the Jayne stand-in. I think it's a safe bet she's not going to figure into the story in any way that'll affect the show's decision to off her.

I don't recall Jamie speculating that Jayne was pregnant, but the fans were speculating she was which led to a swap with her sister because Jamie's description of her didn't match Catelyn's (specifically the hips). GRRM confirmed that was a mistake on his part though. Book 5 is also basically just about the North and Essos, so Jayne wouldn't have shown up even if she was important in any way.

Yeah, that's what I figured. He's given them the broad strokes for where the books are going, so I doubt they'd consciously do something that'd really mess with that. I expect that when they deviate from the books, they check it with him, or at least against whatever script bible he gives them, to make sure it won't tread on any of his plans. They do seem to try to maintain overall consistency with the books, even when they deviate here and there.

Like, I forget whom, but someone else was supposed to die or was supposed to survive at Harrenhall, and they flipped that around, but it didn't end up really mattering. That's the kind of stuff they tend to change.

Yeah, agreed on the 2nd iteration of The Mountain. Conan Whatshisface looked the part, but maybe he couldn't act well enough. Plus, he looked kinda overweight. Monstrously strong, but with a bit of a belly. This guy just looks like a freakin' monster. In other words, perfect for the part.

Conan Stevens?? Picked up a role in The Hobbit, so wasn't available apparently. They already use Ian Whyte on set as a White Walker so he was easy, since from memory season 2 was a really tiny part. New dude isn't quite as tall, but is bigger.

I so can't wait for this scene

Conan Stevens?? Picked up a role in The Hobbit, so wasn't available apparently. They already use Ian Whyte on set as a White Walker so he was easy, since from memory season 2 was a really tiny part. New dude isn't quite as tall, but is bigger.

I so can't wait for this scene

Yeah, that's it. I didn't realize he was in The Hobbit. I'm assuming he was one of the big orcs/goblins.

And yeah, Season 2 didn't feature him much. He was just in the background at Harrenhall, as I recall.

The Mountain had lines in season 2. At least 1 scene that I recall, possibly 2. Not a lot of screen time, but more than just the background. Plus, Ian Whyte just didn't look right. Looked too much like a super tall Serbian basketball player.

The Mountain had lines in season 2. At least 1 scene that I recall, possibly 2. Not a lot of screen time, but more than just the background. Plus, Ian Whyte just didn't look right. Looked too much like a super tall Serbian basketball player.

I agree on his look. My point, though, is that even though he had lines, changing the actor isn't as big a deal, given the character's prominence in the story. Next season, though, they need the right guy. It's not enough to just "pick the big guy on set" and give him 2 lines. They have to have the right look, because The Mountain features fairly prominently in the coming season, assuming it tracks to the second half of Book 2.

By this, I mean that, in Season 2, if you swapped any of the other Lannister goons in with the Mountan's character, you wouldn't dramatically change the story. Tywin tells...some goon...to go stir up trouble in the Riverlands, after giving him a stern talking to about wasting their prisoners' potential when they could be put to work. Does it matter if it's Amory Lorch, The Mountain, or some other random goon? Not really. I mean, yes, it's the Mountain who ends up doing it, but I don't think it'd dramatically change the story if the guy who says "As you command, Lord Tywin" in response to his new orders is him or any other character.

By contrast, in Season 1 and Season 4, the Mountain is prominent to the point that other characters take close note of him. At the tourney, he beheads his horse after it fails him, and after he kills the newly jumped-up knight who gave false testimony to the previous Hand or whathave you. The Hound fights him, too, and their animosity and personal history is revealed. In Season 4, as I said, he'll figure in a similarly prominent fashion.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm right there with you. When I heard the Mountain had been recast yet again, I was both excited and nervous. They definitely got the look right this time, going by the pic with Lena Headey and the fight scene clips. Plus, it looks like they shot the fight in such a way to really accentuate his size. If they keep to the story, he still won't have many lines anyway, so the guy's acting shouldn't be too much of an issue. I cannot wait to see this fight!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back