Game of Thrones

My point was more about commenting on a minor's chest size than rationalizing why there's a chest to comment on.

Age of consent is as low as 15 in some countries/states. 16 is a pretty common age of consent. Not sure if a person is still considered a minor if they meet the age of consent in their own land. Not that I'm into that.

DaarioDaggerConcept-1.jpg

Age of consent is as low as 15 in some countries/states. 16 is a pretty common age of consent. Not sure if a person is still considered a minor if they meet the age of consent in their own land. Not that I'm into that.

16 in the UK.

Well that guy/ actor has been replaced with a different guy/actor. Plus they made his part be longer / more screen time. So maybe he'll look more like the book version . I don't know so we'll see.

Well that guy/ actor has been replaced with a different guy/actor. Plus they made his part be longer / more screen time. So maybe he'll look more like the book version . I don't know so we'll see.

Whoa, really? I thought the first guy was decent, even if he didn't look like he did in the books. Wonder why they recast him?

Anyway, in other news, Season 3 is available for pre-order on Amazon for $40 for the blu-ray/dvd/digital combo pack, and $35 for DVD-only. I think the combo pack is flip-discs (DVD one side, blu-ray on the other), so I figure you just go with the combo pack.

Here's the link. Amazon.com: Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy): Various: Movies & TV

The multiple recasts throw me off, since I already have to keep track of a **** ton of characters. Like when the Mountain (Hound's brother) had a brief scene with Tywin, I had no idea it was supposed to be the Mountain. I just thought it was someone else. It wasn't until I read about it online that I realized it was a recast. Same thing happened with the guy who keeps being resurrected - I can't even remember his name. I had no idea he was the same character who was killed right before Ned Stark was captured. Granted, his name was given, but so much time had passed since his first death, that when we finally saw him again in that cave with the fire, there was no way his name would be familiar to me (and it still isn't, since I can't remember it).

Beric Dondarrian. :)

I don't particularly care for Daenarys' loverboy so I didn't really care that he didn't look like he did in the books. Even in the books, he looked ridiculous to me and it would take a HUGE amount of charisma for that to translate to the screen and not just be stupid so I wouldn't look for a faithful rendition of his book appearance any time soon.

I found it jarring when they recast Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane, too. That role's been recast TWICE. It's less of a problem, though, because he has next to no lines in the show. He's just a big dude who appears to be a real threat. It's not like, say, recasting Jon Snow or something.

Same story with recasting Tommen. To me, that's not a big deal at all, given that we've only ever seen Tommen in a handful of scenes, and never actually heard him utter a word.

Beric Dondarrion's recasting was less of a big deal, though, given how long it takes to meet up with him, and how insignificant he is prior to the meeting. Or at least, how insignificant he is in terms of actually being there in person. Like The Mountain, he's more a character you hear about, rather than one you actually interact with.

But recasting Daario, who already had PLENTY of dialogue, and who also had a pretty distinct look about him (e.g., "Fabio") to just another bearded, brown-haired, dark eyed guy...to me...that's rather a misstep, even if the two can be made to look SOMEWHAT similar.

Beric Dondarrion's recasting was less of a big deal, though, given how long it takes to meet up with him, and how insignificant he is prior to the meeting. Or at least, how insignificant he is in terms of actually being there in person. Like The Mountain, he's more a character you hear about, rather than one you actually interact with.

For me the narrative suffered from recasting Beric, because if I had realized who it was, then I would have felt the mysterious, haunting connection to Ned Stark's death. But when Arya met him at the cave (or wherever nearby; I forgot exactly the sequence of events), none of the characters made it clear that he was the guy who died fighting alongside Ned just before his capture. Even when Arya asked about resurrecting Ned, I still didn't feel the haunting connection because I had no clue that she was talking to the same guy who died when Ned was captured. Granted, it's my fault for not remembering the name, but since I've never read the books, and I was watching it like a TV show - which calls more attention to my eyes than my memory of names (especially a show with very unusual character names) - I failed to make the connection. I mean, I'm all caught up now, and have made the haunting connection; but I didn't make it while viewing the episode.

For me the narrative suffered from recasting Beric, because if I had realized who it was, then I would have felt the mysterious, haunting connection to Ned Stark's death. But when Arya met him at the cave (or wherever nearby; I forgot exactly the sequence of events), none of the characters made it clear that he was the guy who died fighting alongside Ned just before his capture. Even when Arya asked about resurrecting Ned, I still didn't feel the haunting connection because I had no clue that she was talking to the same guy who died when Ned was captured. Granted, it's my fault for not remembering the name, but since I've never read the books, and I was watching it like a TV show - which calls more attention to my eyes than my memory of names (especially a show with very unusual character names) - I failed to make the connection. I mean, I'm all caught up now, and have made the haunting connection; but I didn't make it while viewing the episode.

Wait. Beric didn't die fighting alongside Ned. Ned sent him to go hunt down Tywin Lannister's troops -- specifically the Mountain -- who were rampaging in the Riverlands. He charges Beric to go out and enforce the King's justice, attaints Gregor Clegane and names him an outlaw, and that's the last we see of Beric until the cave. He wasn't in King's Landing at the time Ned was captured.

Wait. Beric didn't die fighting alongside Ned. Ned sent him to go hunt down Tywin Lannister's troops -- specifically the Mountain -- who were rampaging in the Riverlands. He charges Beric to go out and enforce the King's justice, attaints Gregor Clegane and names him an outlaw, and that's the last we see of Beric until the cave. He wasn't in King's Landing at the time Ned was captured.

Then I am very mistaken. I would have to go back and rewatch those episodes. *rubs forehead*
At this juncture, I'll just take your word for it.

Then I am very mistaken. I would have to go back and rewatch those episodes. *rubs forehead*
At this juncture, I'll just take your word for it.

Trust me, he's not there, either in the books or in the show. Ned sends him after The Mountain. That's why he's around to be in the cave. He died the first time fighting the Mountain, I think, and Thoros of Myr revives him then.

Trust me, he's not there, either in the books or in the show. Ned sends him after The Mountain. That's why he's around to be in the cave. He died the first time fighting the Mountain, I think, and Thoros of Myr revives him then.

I do trust you. That's why I'm taking your word for it.

Even though he's being recast for the second time, I'm pretty happy about The Mountain being recast. The second actor just looked like some really tall basketball player, not someone you'd describe as The Mount Who Rides. Even though I think the first to play Gregor was pretty good, this new guy looks really great in the trailer.

Daario's recasting is kind of unfortunate as well, but if the actor couldn't come back, then I'd rather he be recast than written out or transformed into a new character ala "Yara" or "Talisa". :rolleyes

I didn't see a problem with Gregor's original actor (for all of the what.. one or two shots he appeared in), but I thought Ian Whyte was too skinny for the role (he's not called "The Mountain" just because he's tall).

So I looked up the new guy. His name's Hafthor Julius Bjornsson. Okay, sounds like a good start. Strong Nordic name. Then I looked up a picture:

tumblr_muffdxeoXF1qis07wo1_500.jpg

My reaction:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lyGp4HlY-Tw/T645esTo7XI/AAAAAAAABJU/Neo1vCld5Ok/s1600/sweet-*****.gif

Even though he's being recast for the second time, I'm pretty happy about The Mountain being recast. The second actor just looked like some really tall basketball player, not someone you'd describe as The Mount Who Rides. Even though I think the first to play Gregor was pretty good, this new guy looks really great in the trailer.

Daario's recasting is kind of unfortunate as well, but if the actor couldn't come back, then I'd rather he be recast than written out or transformed into a new character ala "Yara" or "Talisa". :rolleyes

Yara's not a new character. They just renamed Asha because it sounds too much like Osha and people would probably get confused.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back