Game of Thrones

What blows me away is how everyone looks at Joffrey, KNOWS he's absolutely out of his mind, and......does nothing about it. I mean, think about what he'll be like as a king ruling without a council, or with a puppet council rather than the strong one he has now. He really would be the return of Mad King Aerys. You have to wonder if, even though Tywin thinks of the family above all, he wouldn't look at Joffrey and say "You're a liability" and have him killed.

Well, the dungeon is always an option. I mean, quite literally, he has more Lannister blood running through him than your average character.

Well, the dungeon is always an option. I mean, quite literally, he has more Lannister blood running through him than your average character.

You couldn't lock him in the dungeon, though. He'd need to be drugged and made incapacitated before you could get away with locking him up, and even then, you'd have to keep him that way. I don't see an effective way to control him, unless Tywin was around, and even then, Joffrey might eventually just decide to have him killed. Imagine Joffrey at 25 and Tywin at 85. There'd be no way to control Joffrey. More to the point, unless someone like, say, Margaery Tyrell (the future queen) could soften his impact, he'd be the kind of king who'd be constantly risking rebellions against him. And Gods forbid he kill or otherwise harm her. He'd have Loras massing an army at his gates the same way his "father" did with Aerys.

You couldn't lock him in the dungeon, though. He'd need to be drugged and made incapacitated before you could get away with locking him up, and even then, you'd have to keep him that way. I don't see an effective way to control him, unless Tywin was around, and even then, Joffrey might eventually just decide to have him killed. Imagine Joffrey at 25 and Tywin at 85. There'd be no way to control Joffrey. More to the point, unless someone like, say, Margaery Tyrell (the future queen) could soften his impact, he'd be the kind of king who'd be constantly risking rebellions against him. And Gods forbid he kill or otherwise harm her. He'd have Loras massing an army at his gates the same way his "father" did with Aerys.

The way to control him is relatively simple, you rely on the power of Tywin Lannister and you quietly strip Joffrey of his powers and give it to the small council or a Prime Minister even. Let's face it, Tywin is the real power behind the throne even though he lets Joffrey do pretty much as he pleases and if he told everyone that you weren't to listen and obey Joffrey's every whim they'd do it. Tywin is still young enough that by the time he dies or gets too old to exert much influence the people around Joffrey will be used to it and he'd end up being King in Name Only or KINO. The only real problem with that is that establishes a serious precedent that could effectively neuter the power of the Iron Throne until a king comes along that's strong enough to take power back for himself.

Let's face it, Tywin is the real power behind the throne even though he lets Joffrey do pretty much as he pleases and if he told everyone that you weren't to listen and obey Joffrey's every whim they'd do it.

Now, let's be honest here: Tywin and Tyrion are the only ones who have told Joffrey NO... probably since he was a toddler. Let us not forget, it's Cersei who has been consistently reinforcing this idea in Joffrey that he can do no wrong. At least until very, VERY recently, and even so, she doesn't put much effort into trying to stop him.

The way to control him is relatively simple, you rely on the power of Tywin Lannister and you quietly strip Joffrey of his powers and give it to the small council or a Prime Minister even. Let's face it, Tywin is the real power behind the throne even though he lets Joffrey do pretty much as he pleases and if he told everyone that you weren't to listen and obey Joffrey's every whim they'd do it. Tywin is still young enough that by the time he dies or gets too old to exert much influence the people around Joffrey will be used to it and he'd end up being King in Name Only or KINO. The only real problem with that is that establishes a serious precedent that could effectively neuter the power of the Iron Throne until a king comes along that's strong enough to take power back for himself.

Tywin was already the real power behind a king (Aerys, the Mad King) and that didnt go to well for the realm. The psycho still managed to do quite a bit of damage before being taken out by Jaime. Maybe Tywin isnt as powerful and cunning as people think.

On that list, there are plenty I hadn't seen before or if I had, not in quite so memorable a role. But, there are a few that I particularly associate with other roles:

Littlefinger -- Tommy Carcetti, The Wire.
Tywin -- Sardo Numspa, The Golden Child. (who could kill you "yust like that.")
Grand Maester Pycelle -- General Veers, The Empire Strikes Back.
Barristan Selmy -- Captain Hammond, Horatio Hornblower.
Ned Stark -- Richard Sharpe, the Sharpe series.
Margaery Tyrell -- Anne Boleyn, The Tudors
Edmure Tully -- Marcus Junius Brutus, Rome
Locke -- The band's manager, Almost Famous
Balon Greyjoy -- Inspector Alleyn, the Inspector Alleyn mystery series.
Mance Rayder -- Gaius Julius Caesar, Rome

They did a pretty good job with the rest.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back