Game of Thrones

I didn't see Jon's wolf during his journey to the Wall. Did they not emphasize it, or was it assumed to be off hunting away from the humans?

I didn't see Jon's wolf during his journey to the Wall. Did they not emphasize it, or was it assumed to be off hunting away from the humans?

They probably shoot all the animal shots on one day, and prioritize the shots that specifically mention the wolves. Anything where a wolf would be a background character it's easy enough to assume it's below camera or off running around. That's complete conjecture, but I had thought about the same thing since they are so awesome.

I think you're thinking of Sean Pertwee who literally dies in EVERY film if he isn't already dead at the start of it.

Nope, definitely Bean. Well, maybe not every film... but Bean does seem to die an awful lot! :confused :(
I can only think of a few where I know he survives.

This week was interesting (don't worry -- no spoilers here). I'm interested to see how fast they're progressing the story in some points, and how slowly other points are to develop.

I'm also LOVING the casting.

James Cosmo as Jeor "The Old Bear" Mormont

Aiden Gillen as Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish

Julian Glover as Maestyr Pycelle

Terrific cast. It's nice to see they're taking this show seriously. Now if only Martin would FINISH THE DAMN SERIES....

This week was interesting (don't worry -- no spoilers here). I'm interested to see how fast they're progressing the story in some points, and how slowly other points are to develop.

I'm also LOVING the casting.

James Cosmo as Jeor "The Old Bear" Mormont

Aiden Gillen as Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish

Julian Glover as Maestyr Pycelle

Terrific cast. It's nice to see they're taking this show seriously. Now if only Martin would FINISH THE DAMN SERIES....

Slight spoiler, so putting it behind the wall :)

How about Syrio, and Arya's first dancing lesson?! So perfect. Syrio isn't as described in the book, but is still exactly how I pictured him somehow. And the girl playing Arya is a great little actress...she holds her own and more in every scene she's appeared in.

RHXxS.jpg

Slight spoiler, so putting it behind the wall :)

How about Syrio, and Arya's first dancing lesson?! So perfect. Syrio isn't as described in the book, but is still exactly how I pictured him somehow. And the girl playing Arya is a great little actress...she holds her own and more in every scene she's appeared in.

RHXxS.jpg

Yes, good casting there, although for some reason I pictured him differently. I actually think the casting was so good that now I'm going to have that image of him in my head when I read. And the girl playing Arya is terrific. She's got a bright future ahead of her. Anyone who can still carry a scene with the likes of the adults she's paired with is damn impressive.

******!!!!!1 i found it too difficult to follow!!!!!may be i am too dumb!!!!!lol

No, it's definitely tricky. You're missing a TON of backstory/narration that they only occasionally refer to in dialogue. KEeping track of who's who is also very difficult if you don't already know who the characters are from having read the book. I think, however, that the more they focus on a given character, the more effort they'll make to help the audience get to know them. Like, James Cosmo's character in the most recent episode wasn't really used much, but he'll have at least one or two more important scenes in this season so we'll probably get a BIT of a better sense of "Wait, which old dude are you again?!"

Tonight was pretty fun! Loved seeing the "mountain" i'd heard a lot about from those who have read the book. Nice to see Stark's wife get some decent meat to her as well. Was hoping she wouldn't just be a background character.

And yeah, Jon's direwolf? Awesome. :)

Someone spoiled a few things for me already..
so every time I see a certain person pretending to help a certain character.. I get angry. Because I now know what is coming. And i'm so mad it got spoiled. Gonna have to read all the books so this doesn't keep happening to me! Thankfully, there are a lot of characters to be killed/betrayed/hated/etc. :)

I've only read the first book in the series, but here's my advice:

Don't get too attached to ANYONE or ANYTHING. Nobody is safe.

I really like the idea of a realistic approach in this show; however, I'm not used to it in most television programs. A general question to members that have read the books--and please NO spoilers: Did the killing of certain characters add to the excitement of the story or did it just really annoy you?

Like I said, I've only read the first one, but while some deaths disappointed me, they did seem necessary to progress the story. I know some of the other characters who die in future books (got curious and looked ahead), but I suspect that in each instance, it's less to just be a "shock" killing and more to advance the story.

Basically, though, I wouldn't trust Martin to keep anyone wholly "good" or "evil" (well, most of the time), and wouldn't trust anyone to say on one side or another, or to live or die. There aren't any guarantees, but it's not like watching a Joss Whedon show -- "Oh, look. Someone in love. $10 says they're dead in the next 5 episodes."

Found some nice propage and jewelry shots on this site:
Behind The Scenes - Winter Is Coming

I read something very interesting about Harry Lloyd- the actor that plays Viserys Targaryen- he's the great great great grandson of Charles Dickens. (I just thought that was kewl! )

Waiting on tonights ep. now..:thumbsup

Found some nice propage and jewelry shots on this site:
Behind The Scenes - Winter Is Coming

I read something very interesting about Harry Lloyd- the actor that plays Viserys Targaryen- he's the great great great grandson of Charles Dickens. (I just thought that was kewl! )

Waiting on tonights ep. now..:thumbsup

He also played one of the "Family" members in "Human Nature" and "Family of Blood" on Doctor Who.

So, as I've mentioned, I've only read the first book. But I'm noticing scenes in last night's episode (and I'm thinking about scenes in other episodes) that I'm not remembering from the book. Can anyone who's read all the books so far confirm that we're seeing stuff that is set up as flashbacks in the subsequent novels, only in real-time?

I'm thinking in particular of two scenes:

SPOILERS BELOW

The scene when Renly and Loras are shaving, and the scene when Robert and Cersei talk about Robert's betrothed.

END SPOILERS

If that's the case, I'm thinking it'll be interesting to see how they play things out moving forward. I mean, basically, this gives Martin...what...five years or so to finish the NEXT book? Not the one that's coming out this summer, but the one after that. That's assuming, of course, that HBO doesn't cancel the series before it ends...which I really hope they don't do because I'm rather liking this.

I've not read any of the books but I'm really enjoying watching the series. The whole political scheming is reminding me heavily of the Wars of the Roses in England.
House of Lannister (Lancaster)
House of Stark (York)
It's not a direct fantasy version but it's nice to see a fantasy TV series that's moved on from the "evil overlord sits on the throne and must be overthrown by a band of plucky adventurers" or something. No prophecies about the death of the king by no man's hand or some such :)

Some very pretty armour, although who on earth goes jousting with an open neck helmet? Nearly as bad as A Knight's Tale!

Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. I may even get off my arse and read the books!

I've not read any of the books but I'm really enjoying watching the series. The whole political scheming is reminding me heavily of the Wars of the Roses in England.
House of Lannister (Lancaster)
House of Stark (York)
It's not a direct fantasy version but it's nice to see a fantasy TV series that's moved on from the "evil overlord sits on the throne and must be overthrown by a band of plucky adventurers" or something. No prophecies about the death of the king by no man's hand or some such :)

Yeah, Martin (the author) has said that he based some of the stuff on the Wars of the Roses, although it is by no means a direct parallel. Still fun, though.

Some very pretty armour, although who on earth goes jousting with an open neck helmet? Nearly as bad as A Knight's Tale!

I had the same thought! That one foppish knight put his helmet on and I'm thinking "Where the hell is his gorget!?" Especially considering the "previously on..." scene featured a fellow with a rather large splinter in his NECK.

Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. I may even get off my arse and read the books!

As I've said, I've read only the first book. It was good, and the series has heightened my enjoyment of the material.

HOWEVER

1.) Martin has not finished the series. There are still at least two books left to be written. And that's AFTER the one that gets published (allegedly) this summer. He took his sweet time getting the 5th book finished, so it's anyone's guess how long it'll take him to do the remaining two.

2.) As with any long-running series, I remain wary of the whole thing just fizzling or ending and me saying "That's it?! I spent how long reading these books and THAT'S IT?!"

As a result, I've held off reading any others. I really hope he wraps up the whole story soon, though, and that the ending doesn't suck. It'd be nice if he could deliver on the promise of the first book all the way through til the end.

As a side note, I vary rarely start a series until all the books have been published. This annoys my author friends but it means that I don't have to try and remember what the hell happened when I read the last instalment 2 years ago or whatever. It used to be easy when they published trilogies. Then David Eddings screwed that by making his series pentologies. They were what made me stop and wait.

As such I've never got into things like Jordan's Wheel of Time novels (though I hear the guy who finished the series has done a good job). There are always exceptions (such as Charles Stross' Merchant Princes series) but I usually wait until they've completed a series.

At least authors like Katherine Kurtz may continue a storyline but she does it in groups of three :)

I'm in the same boat these days. I make exceptions for things where either (A) I know the ultimate outcome (IE: the Horus Heresy WH40K books), or (B) the series doesn't require you to know what happened previously to be appreciated (IE: the Sharpe series). But yeah, with something like this? I'm gonna pass on reading further until it's all done. Here's hoping the show spurs him to faster (but still quality) writing.

Am I the only one who thinks that the sex scenes in the series are a little bit too explicit? For instance, we did not really need to hear the sounds of ******** in the last episode -- it was already implied what was going to happen. Sometimes I think that HBO is doing it in excess just because they can...

I think that the explicit sex and gore could hurt the series getting sold abroad to other networks, who are not cable networks like HBO. The national TV station in Sweden has bought the rights for many HBO series in the past, and I am afraid that they won't buy this one.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised at that, and seeing *all* of Theon Greyjoy. Hopefully the other markets will just edit out the objectionable content, rather than give the entire series a pass.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back