My BTTF Hoverboard Projects

jamiemcshan

My 9 year old son has really taken a liking to the Back to the Future movies recently and I must say it has sparked me to get (back) into them as well... So I decided to build my son and myself a couple of hoverboards. I started out just making the Marty board, but then I decided to add a Pit Bull to the mix as well. My builds are going well, but I wanted to reach out to see if I could get some advice on the Pit Bull rocket engines. I have searched the Internet for as many photos as I could find to make them as close as possible to the screen used board. But, I have found a discrepancy and I wanted to see if anyone had any better photos before making my decision on which way to go. The discrepancy that I am seeing is the front of the rocket in some photos shows to be open, and in others it seems to be closed and has a little button in the middle. According to the photos I have found, the Hero Board had these small round buttons on the front of the engines, but the phototype or extra board photos I found did not.

If anyone has any other photos close up of the engines and knows if it ws screen used or not, please let me know. Here are a couple of photos of what I am talking about.

You can see in the first one, there is a small button in the front and in the second one they are just open. (another strange discrepancy that I saw was that the engine on the left only has 4 fins in the front and the right engine has 8... But, I think I am just going to go with 8 on both.)

boosterOption1.jpg

boosterOption2.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of my build so far on the Marty.

holders.jpg

webvinyl.jpg

Best Regards,

Jamie McShan

Thanks McFly, I appriciate the feedback.

I had a little set back on my Pit Bull board today. I have a buddy with a CNC, so I gave him the image of the Pit Bull to cut me a template, but I gave him the wrong size so I have a extra large pitbull template now... it's 38" long instead of about 35" which is what I think the real board is. (if anyone has exact measurements, I would love to hear them please!)

But I did make good progress on the Pit Bull rocket engines. Another buddy of mine was nice enough to draw them up for me so that I would have something to work from.

Here is the drawing.

myboosterdrawing.jpg

And after a bunch of searching and cutting of PVC fittings and pipe, I have 12 parts that make up each engine.

Before:
boosterparts.jpg

After:
boostersofar.jpg

I just need to add some filler to make the bevels right, and then add the fins to the front and back. I think they are coming along nicely.

J.

Very welcome buddy,
as for the measurements there is an exact replica on eBay, his board measures 36" here is the description:

Description:

This is an original prototype "Pit Bull" hoverboard made to be used byBiff Tannen in the second installment in the classic trilogy.Theboard is built of solid wood measuring 36 in. long; is painted blackwith red accents and features outrigger rocket nacelles made of wood andresin, metal heat shields and three towing rings where the handles for his gang would be mounted. Fixed on the bottom are the vaccu-form anti-gravity plates.* The rear footpad component is missing. This is was one of the original hero prototype versions designed by the art department for Back to Future Part II.* We received this board from the original designer on the film that created the "Pit Bull" logo. Was not seen on screen and used on camera.
Features:
Biff Tannen's (Thomas Wilson) "Pit Bull" Hoverboard Prototype
Color: Red and Black
Extremely Rare
Material: Wood, Resin, Metal
Length: 36"

As for your board it is looking amazing, after your done upload a tutorial as I'd like to give one a try :)

Kind regards Jason

Yeah, I had read that too, but I think that might include the "Strap On" ring attachments in that 36" length. I think its actually closer to 35" from tip to rear. I am going to send a PM to a guy that I know has a replica and see what his measurements are.

Well, I don't know about a kit guys... We'll see. I have to talk with my buddy with a CNC and see what we could make the boards for. It's tricky with the taper on the sides.

@Pitbull - Your logo is dead on. I was working on one myself, but this looks awesome!

I did a little more work on my boosters last night. Trying to get the angles right. Next I will add the fins.

boostersofar2.jpg

So I must admit, after a long realization (and much hazing), I finally saw BTTF II a few weeks ago. Having it so fresh in my mind, I loved stumbling across this! You've done an excellent job so far. As far as your earlier question about the buttons on the rocket, as far as I've seen, you're right to include them. And hell, worst case, you can just drill them out or something.

Anywho, now that I'm done playing Captain Obvious, I've gotta ask, do you have any other pics of Marty's hoverboard? A friend of mine wants me to make him one, so been looking around for references and the like. Yours looks really good; nice, clean, and accurate.
So, sorry bout the tangent but good luck with the Pitbull! Can't wait to see it finished!

i

Great work on the hoverboards. I wish i had seen this earlier, i might have been able to offer some help... About 6 months ago i had the opportunity to handle the screen used boards and modeled this up for my own griff board... Still havent molded it up yet though. If you have any specific questions, pm me and perhaps ill be able to answer them.

jet5.jpg

Last edited:
How did you go about making the bottom magnet parts. I have made all five boards minus the magnets. Also where did you get that Pit Bull logo, and are you willing to share.

Just had to ask.
Nice work.

I'm surprised after all these years no one has made a build up kit? Is it a lack of reference to the original pitbull board or does someone have the specs and is hoarding the information?

I would love as a big bttf fan to at least get all the parts molded and casted for some do it yourself kits.Maybe whoever has valuable information on the parts of the pitbull can share with everyone.

I know Goldenarmor sells the kit for like $395 but thats too rich for my blood for some homemade casted parts.

Not much progress on this as my Wife has been ill, but I did get a package in the mail. My heat screen material showed up. I think it looks pretty close to the real deal.

heatscreen.jpg

heatscreenreal.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back