It begins: The Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure Phone booth.

Egon Spengler

Master Member
I guess I just couldn't stop with making the Ted Theodore Logan costume.. and I have now moved onto making the actual booth. I know the things come premade but they are hard to find and pricey so I'll be building my own booth.

First things first... I had to find a phone for my booth. Needed to be the right style, have the coin slot and change return lever in the right positions.

I managed to buy a payphone on ebay. I got it for 45.00. The shipping would have been 60.00 but I drove about an hour and 45 mins from here and just picked it up myself. I'm sure glad I did. The guy had a bunch of payphones, all old, all needing cleaned up. Instead of just having me get the one in the photo of the auction he let me look around and pick what I needed. That rocked because I ended up getting an even more accurate phone than I would have. It's the correct model, has no volume control, and has the chrome lockbox, with no logo on it. The only thing it didn't have was the little Bell logo on the front. I asked him if he had another faceplate with that on it and managed to get one from him for 10.00.

Everything was a bit rough looking and needed a bit of a cleaning.

I got it home and wiped it all down with some good antibacterial cleaner. Man... that thing was filthy!

Here are some photos of the phone so far. :) I'm still adjusting the graphics for the phone and still working on getting the 8 and # keys to light up. Probably going to have to cast them in clear resin or something.

After the phone itself is finished work on the booth will begin.

Photos:

1. All the parts.
  2. Phone stripped down with proper panel on it.
  3. Phone cleaned, polished and reassembled. Still need to adjust the graphics on the info card a bit. The 20 looks too large.

Sounds like you two might be able to work together, Im looking foward to seeing this happen now I've got the Two Heads Are Better Than One song playing in my head.

Sounds like Flux needs to get started on his Bill S Preston Esquire costume to me! ;)

Phone looks darn near exact NICE find! Now you need to get the * and # cast in plastic so you can do the lights! I would think JUST the phone on the wall (maybe even make the BACK of the booth on the wall so the phone sits on it, just without the walls and door?)

Either way just the phone itself is a very cool prop. LOVED the first B&T when it came out. Still holds a special place in my heart. :)

OldKen: Thanks! I really want to get the buttons to light up. I also hope I might still be able to have the buttons actually work afterwords too. If not though that's fine. But it would be so cool to have all parts of the phone work. I could call someone and tell them I'm Deputy Van Halen. LOL

Yeah, I would love to work to work together. I got the booth from Tucson AZ while I was in town and drove it back to the Phoenix area. It now sits on the side of my house. I can make the light up buttons I'm sure. You should pm me and we can work together.

OldKen: Thanks! I really want to get the buttons to light up. I also hope I might still be able to have the buttons actually work afterwords too. If not though that's fine. But it would be so cool to have all parts of the phone work. I could call someone and tell them I'm Deputy Van Halen. LOL

You absolutely HAVE to do that! if you don't the project is a failure! LOL!!!

When you get it done, PM me and I'll give you my number. I would fall out of my seat laughing to get that random call! :lol "We found your keys dude, err... I mean... sir!" :lol

You absolutely HAVE to do that! if you don't the project is a failure! LOL!!!

When you get it done, PM me and I'll give you my number. I would fall out of my seat laughing to get that random call! :lol "We found your keys dude, err... I mean... sir!" :lol

HAHAHAHAHA PM me your number and you'll get that call! :D

An awesome project that's already off to an Excellent! start. (Kicks my butt in getting me to make some progress on my Bill & Ted Teefury submission).

The phone's looking a treat, and will be a beaut once the light up buttons and graphics are finalised (it's hard to tell, but it looks like the slope of the 2 may be curved rather than straight).

Thanks Kingpin!

Here is a pic of my phone currently. Accidentally posted them in my Ted costume topic.
wip2.jpg

Working on the phone a bit more tonight if I get around to it :)

Just made my first phone call from my pay phone to his cell phone. First test was a success except that I could hear everything, including the automated operator voice but the volume was very low. But the volume was real loud when dialing though. Going to see if there's a way to adjust the volume for the handset. Tomorrow when everyone is awake I'll call the house and see if the payphone rings. Right now its disconnected.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back