Question on thinning latex

Ahhh, now you see, I used plain water in the past, but then wondered if I was doing something wrong.

So ammonia or water is fine?

I used Distilled Water added a little at a time while stirring it.

I was also under the impression to use Ammonia, but was told my a mask maker, that it could potentially mess up the chemical compound, so I didn't want to take the chance with 5 gallons!

One of the main ingredients in liquid latex is amonia. Liquid latex is about 2/3 water, the amonia helps the rubber cure by speeding up the evaporation of the water. In my experience, amonia/distilled water is a great thinner.Chemically it shouldnt change the rubber. Ive thinned gallons of latex for spraying through an airless gun and for slosh casting without issue. Just wear breathing protection as the fumes are irritating. Your real enemy is cold weather... Dont expose your liquid latex to extreme temperatures. That will effect the elasticity and shear strength of your cured parts.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back