sculpting 1:1 armature bust question

Wes R

Legendary Member
I was looking at the one Monstermakers offers for doing masks and wanted to use it to sculpt over for busts until i get better but i was wondering if there are cheaper ones out there as it's 70.00 shipped.

You could just do a life-cast of your head that would cost less than seventy bucks, though it is more work. You could also get a styrofoam head and just seal it with some shellac or white glue and it'd work just as well for less than half the price.

I was thinking of the foam head. My buddy has a bunch of them so i can probably get them for shipping costs.

A styrofoam head would be the best bet for something like this as it's so much smaller than a human head. Those busts are used to make masks that would fit OVER a persons head so You'd want something smaller to sculpt something that's directly 1:1 like a bust.

Normally, you would just take a piece of plumbers pipe or something screwed into a board and then bulk up a small orb/globe/head shape in tin foil and then sculpt onto that.

A styrofoam head would be the best bet for something like this as it's so much smaller than a human head. Those busts are used to make masks that would fit OVER a persons head so You'd want something smaller to sculpt something that's directly 1:1 like a bust.

Normally, you would just take a piece of plumbers pipe or something screwed into a board and then bulk up a small orb/globe/head shape in tin foil and then sculpt onto that.

I disagree, I would go on ebay and buy a mannequin upper torso bust from (I think this is his name) benmannequins. He sells them for $50 but you can make an offer for $25, and he'll take it. I prefer this because it keeps its shape(since the core is made of fiberglass instead of foam) and the clay sticks to the hard stuff better than it does to the soft, foam stuff. hope this helps!

I found some for 40.00 shipped and i'm getting a male and female. they're mannequin busts. i was going to buy RTV but heck i should get these while i can at this price.

bity mold supply sells a pretty good lifecasting for 55 bucks. you will need to create a base for it. but it will work pretty good. i use them all the time.

the monster maker head is alittle small. so if you have a small head then it will work fine. but if you need a bigger headbust go with the bity one.

they are made of polyfoam.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back