NASA Mercury space helmet in works

stephen210

Sr Member
Somthing I have always wanted.
I couldn't find anyone making these that would sell me one...
I have been working on this on and off for a couple of years, amongst the other projects I am doing...
Just finished sewing up the ear chamios pads. I plan on adding the O2 port but have not decided it i want it to be the training helmet version (easier one) or the actual flight version.

Thanks for lookng

Mercuryhelmet.jpg

closedside.jpg

back.jpg

side.jpg

visoropen.jpg

sideopen.jpg

Hey Stephen,

I would do whatever version the astronauts were wearing in that famous photo taken of all seven Mercury 7 astronauts! Not sure if those helmets were the training helmets or flight helmets. I wasn't even aware there were two different types worn by the Mercury 7 astronauts.

Good idea. The training version has the port in the front and the forehead pad is longer in the front. The visor is different too in that there is a pull down bar etc.

It is to my understanding that a Russian MIG helmet can be modified to a Mercury Helmet. Not sure though. I will check my references.

Steve, that is awesome! I can't wait to see it finished.

The Mercury/Gemini/Apollo era is my favorite era in recent history. I've read many of the astronauts & mission controllers biographies, seen a lot of the movies set in that era, and love learning more about it. Keep up the great work.

The Right Stuff.. One of the best.

The helmets they used were USN MK4 or USAF A/P22S-3 high altutude helmets painted white and silver.

RS6.jpg

RS0.jpg

I have that helmet molded. That is what the Mercury helmet was based off of.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back