1:1 Predator Head: Paint Start to Finish

PredatrHuntr

Master Member
I got a raw resin 1:1 head from Scott Marshall and thought I would share my paintup process from start to finish. I'm typically over on the Hunters Lair, but this place is so freaking cool that I thought I would share with all you cool cats!

Here's the first coat of primer:
000000000.jpg

Skin base tone added:
00%20%281%29.jpg

Darker brown and forehead spots added:
00%20%284%29.jpg

Black spots being added:
00%20%285%29.jpg

Sealed paint with glossy sealer, added eyes and teeth:
00%20%286%29.jpg

Quills and dreads added:
00%20%287%29.jpg

Dread rings added, and finally finished:
0%20%283%29.jpg

Without flash:
0%20%282%29.jpg

"You talkin ta me?!"
0%20%284%29.jpg

2%20%281%29.jpg

0%20%285%29.jpg

2%20%285%29.jpg

3%20%282%29.jpg

3%20%284%29.jpg

3%20%283%29.jpg

3%20%285%29.jpg

Img_1405.jpg

Img_1439.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Awesome. How in the heck did you add the quills AFTER the painting?

I don't recall having seen that head before. Looks awesome. I like how the cheeks suck in between the two appendages on his outer jaws.

Wish I could paint mine like that.

Having looked at a lot of reference lately, I've seen that a lot of sculptors do the upper mandible teeth wrong. They should curve upwards, not downwards, even though that seems like a more natural approach. On the kit, can you swap the upper teeth without any or much modding?

Thanks for the comments!

I use an airbrush for the base coats, and then everything else is handpainted. I've tried using my airbrush for the spots, but because I can't adjust the PSI on my compressor I can't get the spots small and precise enough.

Too Much Garlic, I just use cyanoacrylate (krazy glue). Once the clear coat is on, I use a very small dab of glue on the end of the quill, put it in the hole and wait 15 seconds till it dries.

Scott Marshall just sculpted this not that long ago and is making both resin and latex pulls. I think its the most screen accurate P1 head to date...

Thanks for the info. Just looked at the kit before painting and noticed all the quill holes already ready in the casting. That answered my question. I still need to drill mine out on the hellboyattack casting I have.

Yes, it certainly looks pretty damn spot on.

i always think that the predator is one of the ugliest characters i've ever seen...but nevertheless, this here looks great!

Thanks for all the comments guys! I've been airbrushing for years now. It takes a lot of practice to get used to the way it works, but worth it to get the paint to blend.

I just use a cheap airbrush from Harbor Freight:

image_3373.jpg

I can't believe you have the only good airbrush to come from Harbor Freight. I've bought more than a few of them and they have given me nothing but problems. Iwata all the way! :D

Excellent work on the paint job. It looks incredible. Did you paint the eyes by hand as well?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back