Caveneau

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
the Toronto Prop Party Official date

Saturday, June 25th @ 12:00 - 5:00pm
*note: 11:00am for exhibitors to setup*

1677 Wilson Avenue
Here is a map.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&biw=1345&bih=583&q=days%20hotel%201677%20wilson%20ave&wrapid=tlif130495261443821&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Admission Cost:
- $15 per person
- $5 each additional guest
- children under 10 years of age get in free.
- if you are bringing children over10 year old, just PM me with the details and we can discuss reduced fees.

Features:
-Lots of long tables to show off props
-private room close to an entrance.
-Raffle where proceeds will go to a charitable organization(Probably a Japan Relief fund)
-Raffle prizes will be available
-Costuming will be welcome
-Nice outdoor area for photos

Food
-pizzas will be ordered as well as some beverages
-those driving can bring a small cooler
(for more details on food and beverages PM me)

Prizes:
Dr_Slurpee has been kind enough to help organize donations for prizes.
Feel free to contact him directly if you have anything you'd like to donate as a prize

**UPDATE** - May15

Buying, Selling, and Trading
Anyone who is interested in bringing props to sell or trade, go right ahead.
You may have assumed that already, but I'd like to encourage it if you want to.

Carpooling
For those who are limited in transportation because of what part of the great GTA you live in, anyone willing to offer carpooling and station pickups, that would be great. If anyone can swing it,
I'm sure it would be appreciated.

However, I assume some exhibitors may not have available space in their vehicles after they've loaded up all their show pieces.

**UPDATE** - May 26

- The Trafalgar room at the 'Days Hotel' has now been officially booked for the 'Toronto Prop Party'

- If anyone attending would like to volunteer any help whatsoever, that would be great.

- This event will only be as good as we all can make it. The location is booked, the date is set. Let's look forward to it. I am for sure.

- I want to thank everyone who has offered to help. It would be great if any one feels like bringing any portable flatscreen tvs. I'll be bringing my 23" tv, Xbox, PS3, DVD player.
If anyone else feels comfortable bring a portable tv, that would increase the number of 'entertainment stations' we could have. I have a dual NES & Genesis console that's brand new, I can hook up. So if anyone has any old games they want to bring, we could retro-it-up.

**UPDATE** - June 6, 2011

Fee Reductions
In an attempt to attract more people, the general admission price has been lowered to $15. Any additional guests you bring get in for $5 each!

Discounts
An additional $5 discount will be granted to anyone who brings a 'prop' to donate for the raffle.
*1 discount per person*

****UPDATE**** - June 20

Raffle Tickets

Due to the value of some of the items donated,
raffle tickets will be sold at

$5 for 10 tickets
$10 for 25 tickets

1st Prize - Hellboy Spellbook $150 value(Donated by RPF member 'Orange_BLend').
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44328455@N06/4797921700/
2nd Prize - MPC Black Hole 12" $70 value.
3rd Prize - Logan's Run Carousel $50 value(Donated by RPF member 'micdavis').

4th Prize - Raiders of the Lost Ark -2 Bible pages $30 value (Donated by Orange_Blend)
5th Prize - Star Trek Lot - 2 Patches & 2 Pins ($30 value)
6th Prize - Stargate - 2 patches ($15 value)
7th Prize - Dr. Who - 2 Pins ($12 value)
8th Prize - RPF 2010 Challenge Coin (Made by RPF member 'markpoon')

I hope everyone can appreciate that there is a personal cost for me to organize this event and I'd like to make sure my efforts are covered.

Plus, it's more fair to those donating prizes that the event coodinator take into consideration the value of the items they have in the raffle.

- Keep this alive people.

*More updates to follow

Last edited:
Re: Toronto Prop Party - Interest thread

I'd be in pending time and location. I vote for an indoor venue somewhere on the East end of Toronto. ;)

I had an idea about renting a space at 'Pioneer Village'.
How far out east? Where were you thinking?

We might have some people from Cambridge, Kitchener, London who may want to attend, if they don't mind driving out.

What about Toronto North?

Ok, don't laugh at my suggestion of Pioneer village please, there's a good reason because we may have a video camera and some western style costuming...Maybe.
If no one's interested, then it doesn't matter.

I just had someone from Pioneer village call me back with some quotes. They are reasonable. Food like breakfast/lunch will cost extra, so it all falls back to planning scheduling.

So, maybe we could all state 'where' we live and/or where exactly we're driving from some we can plan a neutral location.

Pioneer Village would have parking included by the way, if that makes a difference.

I'm in pending the date, some time in June perhaps?

Indoor location preferred by me, and I'm in Burlington so would prefer something a little more West of course. Definitely don't want to have to drive into TO, everything is more pricey there anyways. :)

I'd keep it as central as possible without actually being in the city. Mississauga, Pickering, Vaughan type places.

Pioneer Village? I'm not really into the cowboy thing I must say. :lol

I'll also say though that if you're hosting don't make the mistake of deciding everything by commity. You pick the location, you pick the date, you pick the time. Imput is great but if everyone gets a say this will never happen.

Happy to help you with it if needed!

Well, it's not going to be Downtown Toronto I can guarantee you that.

June sounds fine to me.

I just figure at some time someone might announce another, better party, and then this will go away. Whatever. If the interest is not there by end of April, I won't put much more effort into this.

At this point location is now the primary concern, which has always been the problem for anyone I know in Toronto who has tried to get a group of 15 or more people together from all over. I figure I'm not popular enough to draw a crowd, so people would have to come because they really want to.

No problem on no interest in the western thing. It was just an idea which only would have worked with Pioneer Village. They won't let me film there either. So it's most likely not going to be at Pioneer village.

See, I don't know, maybe I'm nuts, but I still don't see the park as being a bad idea.
This is how I would see it. People who would be driving, could keep their stuff locked in their car. People taking transit wouldn't be able to carry very much so they'd probably just bring a bag which they can keep with them at all times.
Food may or may not be provided, so people would be expected to bring their own food(we can talk about this later)
So we wouldn't need tables and people's personal stuff could be kept secure.
I mean if we lucked out and get a really sunny day, all would be fine. I could make a run to a store and buy a bunch of food, like I say, I'm not worried about catering.
People could costume, we could bring our video cameras, you know. It could be awesome.
Then those who want to bring big-ticket items can switch things up out of their vehicles.

I don't know, maybe I'm dreaming. Tell me.

Alrighty, some advice. :)

I've planned plenty of large events (never a prop party admitedly) and the difference between a good one and a bad one is knowing the needs of the event that you're planning.

For a prop party you want people to bring their stuff to show off and display meaning you want to provide a safe environment for them to do so. This means somewhere where they have a table to put their stuff on and protection from the elements. For me this means an indoor venue. If I bring my $1300 proton pack I don't want to display it from my trunk and I don't want it sitting in the grass. Also things like wind, rain, heat, etc make me nervous.

If you want to plan a picnic by all means do so. I may even show up but I won't be bringing my prized posessions. ;)

I'd suggest a hotel conference room with parking available. Parking is important for the folks that will make your party a real success, the ones with lots of props!

Again, if you want help organizing let me know. :)

I'd think anything in the Markham/Vaughan area would work well, but I don't know the cross section of where people are located. Perhaps David can give you info on where he held the last one. I seem to remember it being chosen because it was inexpensive and handy. For food pizza was just ordered and people chipped in. I think we payed $20 each for a table to display stuff and it was in a closed off room so we could all wander around freely looking at stuff without the need to tuck it in and out of something to keep it safe. I would probably come to a park event, but wouldn't bring any props.

I don't want to tell you how to set it up at all because I think any get together could be fun, but it's hard to plan ahead when trusting weather to hold off so it's not a wash, especially if people are traveling multiple hours to attend.

If I can give my 2 cents on it (beyond the 2 cents I've already given) It's be great to have some demonstrations or even a movie or something to watch. Someone did a demonstration of painting with some silicone paint last time and it was great to learn new things.

Thanks for the advice, both OrangeBlend and Slurpee. I appreciate it and you're totally correct.
We won't rely on weather, that's for sure.
The idea of a conference room possibly in a hotel that's accessible by highway, we can order food and most of these rooms have AV options, so yeah we could throw on a movie or something. There would definitely be tables to display props.

Most community centers in the city would likely be able to accommodate a group. They are kind of there for this kind of stuff.

Lots of good advice here...and with that here's my 0.02 cents too.:lol

You need to look at hotel conference rooms, community centers and that sort of thing.
Outdoors is just not going to happen. People lugging their stuff across a park is only the first problem with this, let alone weather and the over all intimacy factor that a prop party brings to its attendees. Outdoors you'd loose that....and it's a big reason why we go to these shindigs.:thumbsup

Indoors, and I also don't think Pioneer Village is the right way to go...the parking lot and distance to the set up area is not convenient.
You need to think of this in terms of a trade show...parking, easy to bring props/costumes into the venue...privacy, security...washrooms, food....in short everyone will want overall piece of mind.:cool
Props are not only expensive, but to us makers and collectors they're priceless and irreplaceable.
The RD builders love these sorts of events and they need a floor that allows them to go nuts with their droids.....with that let me make a shameless shout-out to RD Builders Group!

Think indoors, easy parking, easy set up....everyday conveniences and luxuries like bathrooms and coffee, water and so on...all a factor here.

I'd be happy to attend if the venue is right, location is cool....and if Matt Munson promises to make a cameo. That's right Munson...Canada Wants You!

Toronto Prop Party?
Word!
Get the venue details squared away...and choose dates that dont conflict with any other con or major event....and this should go over very well.

Rock it bud!

David

I'd be in pending date, time and location. I'd be coming in from Kitchener, so something central or west end would be preferable. I'm used to driving through TO for work though, so not a big deal...

As a suggestion, I'm sure there'll be a lot of guys heading into town for the Fanexpo in August...if the June dates don't work out, maybe an afterparty for the fanexpo crowd could be something to think about?

Jonny

I'm up in ONT alot visiting in-laws, etc. Depends WHEN. I'll be in the Toronto area in late May.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back