Haunted Mansion Ride Stretching Portraits

AJLoCascio

Sr Member
Hey guys !

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any scans or files of the Haunted Mansion Stretching Room portraits - you know:

secrets_stretch_hill.jpg

Moony

The original hand painted "Girl on Tightrope" from Disney Land was featured on Hollywood Treasure. It sold for $47,500. It was in amazing condition.

I actually just bought the 28 by 17 one from print on demand - still waiting for it to come - but if you get the chance - check out Disney's selection of painting and concept art that you can print - its freaking fantastic !

-AJ

The original hand painted "Girl on Tightrope" from Disney Land was featured on Hollywood Treasure. It sold for $47,500. It was in amazing condition.

While I'm sure any of the "original" paintings are worth that much simply because they managed to make it out of Disney's hands, the show where they featured the "expert" saying it was one of a kind was complete BS.

From the time the ride opened, both in CA and FL, they have used a master template to paint the paintings by hand...the way they are mounted in the ride causes a lot of stress on them and they wear out quite frequently at both locations, causing the need for them to be replaced rather frequently.

They have a template, along with a color guide and mixing ratios for mixing the colors so they can match the originals so that if you rode the ride on Saturday, and they replaced a painting on Saturday night, you wouldn't tell the difference if you rode again on Sunday.

Those that paint these at Central Shops using the template often make minor changes as a way of 'signing' their work. I don't know how they are doing them now, haven't worked their since around 2002, but up until then they were painting them by hand as they needed replacing. The ones that come down often go straight in the trash bin, unless someone gets super sneaky. What a travesty to be sure.

My friend has an original set of two different paintings from th HM rolled in his closet. He also has the sign that was used on the front of the train in DW as well as numerous other ride items, just sitting in his closet. He worked at DW in the Central Shops along with my ex wife who did all the xeroxing and filing of the blue prints for the rides from the Imagineers. My friend collected the items as they were to be thrown out, and just put them away. I have asked time and time again to buy them or sell them for him, bur he isn't interested. He has since retired and said someday he will let the stuff go if he runs out of money. I told him to "will it" to me:lol

The ones that come down often go straight in the trash bin, unless someone gets super sneaky. What a travesty to be sure.

Agreed... Having hung around the Central Shop area back in the 90's with the ex wife, and from my friend who worked around the shops, most things were "required" to be destroyed. But.... some of the cool stuff "walked away", especially towards the mid to late 1990's when the Disneyana craze was in full swing. I know many of the Imagineers gave my Ex original blue prints that should have been shredded. She gave me original ride blue prints at the time that I wish I would have held on to. I ended up giving them away because they had painful memories from a bad relationship.

For those curious I found a great reference site that has every portrait, and it's various incarnations lined end to end documented as they changed. There does appear to be significant change - especially from the Original to now.

Daveland Disneyland Haunted Mansion Photo Page

Here is a great example of the not so subtle difference:

Original on left and newer on right

The one on the left is the original Marc Davis artwork...it only hung in the Mansion for a short period of time in Disneyland from my understanding, never seen those displayed in person. If you look through the others, they really aren't that different...most of it is coloration, which I would grant has more to do with lighting and camera settings than the actual paintings. Taking photos in the mansion is extremely hard.

I am painting all 4 of them right now.... Just finished Master Gracey Painting and hoping to get the 4 stretching paintings done by Halloween..

Just finished this painting of "Master Gracey" for a Project I am doing this Halloween. Hoping to get all of the changing portraits finished before Halloween. Also want to do the stretching Portraits not sure If they will be all done by Halloween though???

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back