time lord collar help

thanks a lot here is a pic
time-lord-collar.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Luke14

AH! when you said 'collar' i assumed you meant a jacket or shirt collar!!! This was made from fibreglass-
it would have been scuplted, a mould taken and then a fibreglass positive made from the mould. I'm afraid i can't help you more than that, i deal in actual clothing.

There will be lots of people on the RPF that can help you get it made if you post the photo here on the site.

Good luck!

Very cool. Love the timelord costumes

I couldn't tell you how this was originally made without several detailed reference shots, but it looks like this could be approached in a variety of methods. I would not suggest fiberglass due to the sheer weight of it, and it not really being ideal for this application at all. The simplest way would be to build a frame from buckram and millinery wire and cover it in fabric. Alternatively, wonderflex would be a great material for this.

Looks like to originals were made from fiberglass and resin, and I would worship the person who could offer me a fiberglass replica. I've got two timelord Rassilon symbols just waiting to be put on one of these babies. The helmet and costume I can make, but the fiberglass one I don't have the skilles ket. I did consider wonderflex for a time, but I WANT this ting to be heavy and durable, just like the originals. What can I say, I'm an old fashioned guy.

Time Lord costumes -- especialy those darn collars -- would be one Doctor Who costume item I would prefer to buy off-the-shelf if ever available. Way beyond my skill set to replicate.

I made a set of collars for some friends...they aren't completely accurate...and unfortunately I didn't take any documentation photos while I was making them. But I used 3mm thick sintra and built the shoulders out of one piece and the neck and head portion out of another that I glued together at the neck.

It's not the best way to go about it as the attachment point is very fragile since they meet with only 3mm to hold them together.

Honestly the BEST way to go about it would be to make them as one big fiberglass cast.

Here is the end result of my work though...I delivered the collars unpainted, they finished them up and made the rest of the costume:

Cosplay.com - Time Lord - lisaspieces

2481558.jpg

We made some Timelord collars for our TRIAL OF DAVROS show.
The orginal way we used as shapping chicken wire then papier machine to get the shape to make three mould pieces that we then screwed together ! Once all the mould pieces were screwed together we laid in layers of fibreglass with fine matt and then slowly adding colour just so we kept the translucent

http://photos.jml.net/set618314/media17603547.html

Last edited:
Looks like to originals were made from fiberglass and resin, and I would worship the person who could offer me a fiberglass replica. I've got two timelord Rassilon symbols just waiting to be put on one of these babies. The helmet and costume I can make, but the fiberglass one I don't have the skilles ket. I did consider wonderflex for a time, but I WANT this ting to be heavy and durable, just like the originals. What can I say, I'm an old fashioned guy.

Hi check this out my friend made

AntiMarple, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Any chance your friend can post ore pictures, or send a pM to me via you so i can get one of these! It looks superb!

CC:love

awesome! im still trying to figure out how to do it a way that would look good and also be quite sturdy and solid. what is the method you are thinking of using?

I'm not sure, a couple of friends in town might want one, so I may go the route of making a mould. When I think of the screen-worn ones, I do think of a fibreglassy look, so I may build one up in wire then fibreglass it. This will mostly be a display piece, so weight isn't a huge factor.

yeah thaks for the info i also assumed it was a fibreglass mould so hopefully one day il finally start this project !

If you're looking for one, look no further. This was not cheap, but was custom made for me by AntinMarple's friend. As far as I'm concered, it's 100% perfect and accurate to the one I wanted, and I scrutinize replicas like crazy now before I buy them. Totally pleased and they even included the cap. I put on the seals of Rassilon after words, just like I said I would earlier in this thread! They shipped overseas and completed the whole project in a timely and professional manner. Now I have to get to work on the REST of the costume! PM me for more info if you'd like; i have nothing but nice things so say about my purchase!
Collar-2-M.jpg

Borusa-1-M.jpg

P1010207-L.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back