The Story behind my "Scratch Build a Weapon" Contest weapon

ammclane

First off I want to thank Vagabond and everyone who put on the contest. It was a lot of fun and a huge learning experience for myself.

I had been a lurker here at RPF for a while here and always wanted to try my hand at prop building but would find every excuse I could to never really starting anything. My wife would say I am a pathological project starter who a) never seems to finish and b) never seem to stick on any hobby for very long.

The long and the short of it is that I saw the contest and decided it was time to jump in and try something. I love the neo-victorian/steampunk/warehouse 13 style so that is immediately where I started and went from there.

At first (and probably still) my family thought I was a nut, but by the end they were interested in the project and helping out with ideas along the way. Needless to say I learned an amazing amount of building techniques and will never look at a piece of tubing or an old TV set (especially the insides) the same way ever again.

To explain my choice in weapon creation - I have been working to slowly turn my home office to the steampunk feel. To this point everything has been items I have purchased, but I wanted something to display on the wall - thus the hand held plasma cannon was born.

I even added a quirky background story to "explain" the item:

plaque.jpg

and here are a few pictures of the entire gun "in action" and on display:

in_action.jpg

back_on_2.jpg

backpack2.jpg

gun_back.jpg

gun_top.jpg

main_pict.jpg

Needless to say I had a blast making this prop. It has been such an adventure and it may have helped me stick to one hobby for more than one project (eyeing the Weta competition and working up plans for the Warehouse 13 Wells grappling gun).

Thanks again to everyone for putting the contest on!

Ammclane

the 3 first pictures you have display are amazing ! i love to see how many details you have put in this project ,

did you have more details about your work in progress ? i'm interested about how you have created it

Keep it up in prop making !

Joe

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back