Fallout New Vegas NCR Veteran Ranger

Crin

I was inspired by Kommisar's great ranger build so decided to follow in his footsteps.

To start, here's a few references:
Hugh's pep file: Fallout NV NCR Veteran Ranger Helm by Hugh.pdo
High Res concept art: File:Large rangerhelmet.jpg - The Vault, the Fallout wiki - Fallout: New Vegas and more
Game art: http://www.existentialgamer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/fallout-new-vegas.jpg

I made a lot of progress with the mask then hit a stopping point with the front amp/speaker. I wasn't happy with building up the amp out of styrene and PVC and am fortunate to have a friend who can rapid prototype parts, so I designed up the amp and he printed it out:

IMG_1513.jpg

More pictures and progress update to follow this weekend when I have more time.

You failed to mention how much time you spent on solidworks making this design.

Also, my first time seeing something from design to 3-D printed. It was pretty amazing.

i love that speaker, i'm glad i inspired you!

i'm actually a little jealous of that speaker quality, i just bodged mine together from pvc pipe parts, your meshing on that looks perfect.

I've made some good progress, but still a long ways to go. Like Kommisar, I've been working off the paper pep model. I decided that I didn't want lots of small pieces of styrene though so tried to use as big pieces as possible and heat form them into shape. Sorry for the bad pictures, I need to get some better lighting.

This is just after doing the basic shapes, 5 separate pieces of styrene. Getting good bends by hand with the styrene is tricky, so I'll definitely have some bondo-clean up to do eventually.
ncrmasknoeyes.jpg

For the air filter, the bottom of a steel can worked really well. I have a can opener that cuts around the outside edge so I can put the top back on afterwards. There was some corrugation in the steel can that was visible after I pulled off the label (just soaked the can overnight to get it off) and I used the last corrugation as a guide for cutting the can. I then traced on the pattern for the oval and Dremeled out the slot.
ncrmaskfilter.jpg

I've done the internal filters too, but think they are too thick so may redo them.

This picture has the current state. I redid the speaker since the more time I sat staring at it, the less happy I was. I increased the radii around the edges and significantly increased the font size. I also increased the visibility of all the patterned cut-outs so they show clearer.
ncrmaskspeaker.jpg

The eye frames were done with square styrene tubes from a local hobby shop.

Next step is to finish the side pieces for the straps, then start on the helmet. I found a French police helmet liner that has nearly a perfect shape for a base.

i love that speaker, i'm glad i inspired you!

i'm actually a little jealous of that speaker quality, i just bodged mine together from pvc pipe parts, your meshing on that looks perfect.

Thanks!

I actually tried your way first but I really didn't like the way mine was coming out. I just don't have the patience for sanding to clean it up as nice as you did.

Man these builds are becoming almost as frequent as Iron Man builds. I don't particularly like the game but these builds are great to watch.

Thanks!

I actually tried your way first but I really didn't like the way mine was coming out. I just don't have the patience for sanding to clean it up as nice as you did.

heck, when you have access to a tool like that, i'd be FINDING any excuse to use it ;)

Man these builds are becoming almost as frequent as Iron Man builds. I don't particularly like the game but these builds are great to watch.
haha not yet! but i'm pretty stoked that so many people are trying it now.
few years from now, there might be enough of us for a cool looking photoshoot at comic con or d*con

This thread was long dead, but I was asked to share the 3D printed front amp, so here it is: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:403788/#files

Also, since I'm updating this finally after 3 years, here's where the project ended up:
The chest armor was made similar to others except I used one large piece of EVA foam as the back and laid craft foam on top of it. I felt this was an easier way to get the shape I wanted. The stencils were done by taping painters tape to a transparency sheet and printing directly onto the painters tape. I then cut it out and transferred it to the armor to paint
NCRRangerArmor.jpg
Forearm shields are styrene with strapping wrapped around them. The med pack is a pill container riveted on and the rebreather is a several different aluminum water bottles connected with pipe couplings and clamps
NCRRangerBack_Arms.jpg
I found a gun I liked that I thought was similar enough to the NCR ranger gun since I didn't have time to make my own. I did weather it a bit and added the bears on both sides similar to the way I did the armor stencils
NCRRangerGun.jpg

Since everyone knows the helmet is the showpiece, I spent the most time on this. It's pretty much a Pepakura model done entirely in styrene. The helmet is a liner from a French police helmet. The side light is operational and because I was having fun, I added in a potentiometer to vary the brightness.
NCRRangerHelmISO1.jpgNCRRangerHelmEarClose.jpg
The air filter is from a can of beans. I first cut off the lid using a 'side-cutting' can opener so I could reuse the lid. I then cut the can down to size with a hack saw and added the lid back on. The texture is from plastic netting and the spokes are styrene with a steam punk button on top for detail. The ear piece in the back is from a collander
NCRRangerHelmFilter.jpg
The eyes are from a plastic storage container that I cut up and heat formed and I was able to get the reflectiveness with home window energy efficiency film.
Like I said above, a friend printed the front piece from me. This version is actually slightly different from the one I posted - I improved it a bit to make it thinner and make the text more visible, but I couldn't find the revised model so I uploaded the original to Thingiverse instead
NCRRangerHelmMouthClose.jpg
The antenna is just a a scrap antenna I found somewhere and paint on the helmet and throughout was done either with stencils or rub-off letters from a hobby store
NCRRangerHelmSideView.jpg
I decided I wanted a non standard helmet so I went with the bear logo instead. The best part was meeting the lead designer for New Vegas, Chris Avellone, especially since he autographed the helmet.
NCRRangerHelmSignature.jpg

Here's the full costume with my wife in her human Moira gear
tumblr_m9whp9dnLJ1rrhfv1o2_1280.jpg

And, just a little off topic because her costume is awesome, here's us again as, this time my wife is the ghoul Moira:
http://www.tested.com/art/makers/45...y-gallery-550-photos/item/dragoncon_2013_263/

Where did you get the duster coat? I have been looking everywhere and I don't want to spend $100 on something I am going to drag through the dirt and shoot holes through. Pm me if you get a chance.

Otherwise, it came out freaking awesome!

Thanks Pyrotechx. My wife made the coat - it was based on a Sherlock Holmes jacket pattern from Jo-Anns. I made stencils out of freezer paper and ironed it on then used textile paint to get the NCR logos. She airbrushed it afterwards to make it look dirty.

Where did you get the duster coat? I have been looking everywhere and I don't want to spend $100 on something I am going to drag through the dirt and shoot holes through. Pm me if you get a chance.

Otherwise, it came out freaking awesome!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back