Wolverine all day baby! Jackets, belts, claws, oh my.

Major update on my Wolverine build after one hell of a ride, major upcoming Limited run news and the full info of what to expect on my distressing overview video of my X-1 leather.

For now though, let's start things off correctly now that I've returned from the not so distant future to fulfill a promise made to a new friend.

Below is the link to the Etsy store where I located as close a match to the original Tartan for the Logan X-1 lumberjack/Western shirt as I have ever seen, or likely will- except of course if someone decides to physically make it.

Which will be discussed in a later post.

Here... @Solider, @fifthchamber, @superDrool, @darkside501st, @comonbub and anyone else interested.

This is the Tartan.

Please tell her I sent you. She has about 20 yards remaining. It takes 2.5 for a custom shirt. You will have to give the fabric a chemical distressing bath (example of which I will be showing in my big update thread (Wolverony's Wolverine build- NYC Comic Con 2014) in order to fade the colors into that washed out appearance you see in the Canadian Bar, but even before that, this material ( a little heavier than a standard cotton but totally manageable and you won't sweat bullets) is the correct color combination, at least, as to the original, and even has all the varying striping and general diffused, jeweled patterns (if not totally an exact match, it is so close as not to be really nit picked about especially for the price).

It will make an excellent shirt and it was highly complimented at the Convention.

So this is just a quick update while I prepare the main Wolverine completion build thread for you guys. There will be a lot of information I hope you will find both entertaining and maybe even helpful. I know at least a couple of you have asked me questions on the X-1 distressing, where I got my belt, and how I did some of the finer work on the outfit, so hopefully that will all be in there to a successful degree.

I'm planning a large , multi-post thread, so please be patient. if you don't see your questions addressed, chances are I'm getting to it or them.

That said, as I'm going back through the few days if posts I've missed while I worked nearly 24/7 preparing for con with Erin, I'd like to address something.

I come here as a fan of the character, builds and the sport of costuming screen accurately. It's not, however, any kind of competition for me with my peers. Frankly I get that sort of thing in other areas of the prop replica world. And it's a veritable sewing circle.

So when I post my pics, my progress or my take on anything on Logan/ Wolverine, it's strictly character based. And to share amongst my fellow Logan fans.

So that's what I'd like to address first, if you'll all allow.

Two would be that when I make a statement that I may know something in terms of industry insider info, it's generally because I do, and my inclusion of that info usually stalls at that point because certain things I AM privy to, from being unofficially In those circles over many years/now, I am sometimes asked not to divulge specifics on with regard to perhaps a particular bit of detail or source of materials/ methodologies to an original prop or garment, whatever.

I sometimes, through a lot of digging and research as well as reaching out to people and shots in the dark, am able to get valuable, strange, unusual and/or interesting behind the scenes info on stuff.

It's rare, but it happens.

Some of the information I've gleaned on Logan's outfit specifically recently falls into that catagory. And it's why I mentioned it at all in reply to a query here a few threads back.

I in no way wanted to come off as a blow hard. I think perhaps to some I might have. Bad form on my part there if that is the case.

Just being clear there. If it bothers some of you otherwise as matter of default, then that's your jam. I in no way ever want that sort if thing to do so- rub people the wrong way.

I'm here to make friends who also like this process. Not get into pick sticking matches because I may have inadvertently rubbed another's sensibility or how they feel I should operate and under what level of decorum. Just bad energy and not what it's about for me as a fan.

I sometimes get inside info on stuff that costs me in terms if privilege or favors. Especially in costuming and prop work.

Lastly, and this is just because it was the last thread post above this and we (fifth and I) had messages about it, no, unfortunately I wasn't able to see or spend any time with Dan from Logan's Closet.

Yes, it probably would have been very cool, and I know he asked to have me seek him out on the floor, to have a mutual Logan chat, I/we (Erin and I) just had our own thing going (even strictly as cosplaying fans- which we were and are to out core) and were only there one day, and then for a paltry 3 hours in which to get everything in and done.

The entire time of which we were swarmed every ten feet for photo ops with fans and other Cosplayers.

Let Dan know that we did make at least a conscious effort to see if we could locate him while we worked the floor. It just didn't work out regrettably.

We might even have missed him. Who knows. A lot was going on at all times with our group.

We couldn't get inside the building for fifteen minutes after getting out of our car due to the crowd and the photographers. It was just that intense a situation.

It was like that until we left. And we were stuck as a result with whom we could spend any time with. Along with networking etc. I managed, at the end of the day, by sheer luck, to be found by one friend who had a booth in Artists Alley, whom I hadn't seen in a couple if years, and he got the one free block of personal time.

As to my presence on the forum...

I come here with no ego and just wanted to sort of gently say I'm seeing a few things that I hope are not going to be a big deal, and that I very much want everyone getting to know me to realize I am all about the craft.

And that I never mean to seem aloof, or as someone who's trying to instill or command any sort of hierarchy amongst my fellow members who have been here longer, are well known, etc. and respected for their monumental contributions to the hobby on these pages and where these characters are involved.

But I do address things that I may see and which may inadvertently paint me in a light that isn't accurate, or that may be misconstrued as to my actual character.

If ive offended anyone here, you have my sincere apologies.

If not, awesome. Let's post about Wolverine. I've loved the character since I was 14 years old.

And I'll continue to love the old Canuck until the day I die.

Travis

For now here is the link to the tartan-

Picture of the actual material-

View attachment 389734

Link to the Etsy store where you can purchase it-

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/159415044/100-woven-brushed-cotton-plaid-in-jewel?ref=market

I'll see you guys in a bit.

Here bellow is a quick preview of things to come...

Final Costume teaser 2.jpgComic Con1a.jpgcomic con 17.jpgcomic con 11.jpgComic Con 6a.jpg

Here also are a couple of night shots as I worked to distress and prep the left sleeve for the missing stripe remnant sew-in and began weathering the remaining two amber stripe segments.

I'll have a complete Jacket distressing video, start to finish, that shows everything- Out of the box through the finished jacket in full detail for anyone interested..

IMG_8210.jpgIMG_8202.JPG

Last edited:
In case you all forgot, Wolverine died today...I won't spoil it but the way he died was very anti-climatic and you know damn well Magneto will undo it...

In case you all forgot, Wolverine died today...I won't spoil it but the way he died was very anti-climatic and you know damn well Magneto will undo it...
Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with the way he died. I guess there was some poetry to it, but honestly it wasn't great. And yeah, he'll be back soon enough. At least now I can save money on comics, so that's a plus. lol

Major update on my Wolverine build after one hell of a ride, major upcoming Limited run news and the full info of what to expect on my distressing overview video of my X-1 leather.

For now though, let's start things off correctly now that I've returned from the not so distant future to fulfill a promise made to a new friend.

Below is the link to the Etsy store where I located as close a match to the original Tartan for the Logan X-1 lumberjack/Western shirt as I have ever seen, or likely will- except of course if someone decides to physically make it.

Which will be discussed in a later post.

Here... @Solider, @fifthchamber, @superDrool, @darkside501st, @comonbub and anyone else interested.

This is the Tartan.

Please tell her I sent you. She has about 20 yards remaining. It takes 2.5 for a custom shirt. You will have to give the fabric a chemical distressing bath (example of which I will be showing in my big update thread (Wolverony's Wolverine build- NYC Comic Con 2014) in order to fade the colors into that washed out appearance you see in the Canadian Bar, but even before that, this material ( a little heavier than a standard cotton but totally manageable and you won't sweat bullets) is the correct color combination, at least, as to the original, and even has all the varying striping and general diffused, jeweled patterns (if not totally an exact match, it is so close as not to be really nit picked about especially for the price).

It will make an excellent shirt and it was highly complimented at the Convention.

So this is just a quick update while I prepare the main Wolverine completion build thread for you guys. There will be a lot of information I hope you will find both entertaining and maybe even helpful. I know at least a couple of you have asked me questions on the X-1 distressing, where I got my belt, and how I did some of the finer work on the outfit, so hopefully that will all be in there to a successful degree.

I'm planning a large , multi-post thread, so please be patient. if you don't see your questions addressed, chances are I'm getting to it or them.

That said, as I'm going back through the few days if posts I've missed while I worked nearly 24/7 preparing for con with Erin, I'd like to address something.

I come here as a fan of the character, builds and the sport of costuming screen accurately. It's not, however, any kind of competition for me with my peers. Frankly I get that sort of thing in other areas of the prop replica world. And it's a veritable sewing circle.

So when I post my pics, my progress or my take on anything on Logan/ Wolverine, it's strictly character based. And to share amongst my fellow Logan fans.

So that's what I'd like to address first, if you'll all allow.

Two would be that when I make a statement that I may know something in terms of industry insider info, it's generally because I do, and my inclusion of that info usually stalls at that point because certain things I AM privy to, from being unofficially In those circles over many years/now, I am sometimes asked not to divulge specifics on with regard to perhaps a particular bit of detail or source of materials/ methodologies to an original prop or garment, whatever.

I sometimes, through a lot of digging and research as well as reaching out to people and shots in the dark, am able to get valuable, strange, unusual and/or interesting behind the scenes info on stuff.

It's rare, but it happens.

Some of the information I've gleaned on Logan's outfit specifically recently falls into that catagory. And it's why I mentioned it at all in reply to a query here a few threads back.

I in no way wanted to come off as a blow hard. I think perhaps to some I might have. Bad form on my part there if that is the case.

Just being clear there. If it bothers some of you otherwise as matter of default, then that's your jam. I in no way ever want that sort if thing to do so- rub people the wrong way.

I'm here to make friends who also like this process. Not get into pick sticking matches because I may have inadvertently rubbed another's sensibility or how they feel I should operate and under what level of decorum. Just bad energy and not what it's about for me as a fan.

I sometimes get inside info on stuff that costs me in terms if privilege or favors. Especially in costuming and prop work.

Lastly, and this is just because it was the last thread post above this and we (fifth and I) had messages about it, no, unfortunately I wasn't able to see or spend any time with Dan from Logan's Closet.

Yes, it probably would have been very cool, and I know he asked to have me seek him out on the floor, to have a mutual Logan chat, I/we (Erin and I) just had our own thing going (even strictly as cosplaying fans- which we were and are to out core) and were only there one day, and then for a paltry 3 hours in which to get everything in and done.

The entire time of which we were swarmed every ten feet for photo ops with fans and other Cosplayers.

Let Dan know that we did make at least a conscious effort to see if we could locate him while we worked the floor. It just didn't work out regrettably.

We might even have missed him. Who knows. A lot was going on at all times with our group.

We couldn't get inside the building for fifteen minutes after getting out of our car due to the crowd and the photographers. It was just that intense a situation.

It was like that until we left. And we were stuck as a result with whom we could spend any time with. Along with networking etc. I managed, at the end of the day, by sheer luck, to be found by one friend who had a booth in Artists Alley, whom I hadn't seen in a couple if years, and he got the one free block of personal time.

As to my presence on the forum...

I come here with no ego and just wanted to sort of gently say I'm seeing a few things that I hope are not going to be a big deal, and that I very much want everyone getting to know me to realize I am all about the craft.

And that I never mean to seem aloof, or as someone who's trying to instill or command any sort of hierarchy amongst my fellow members who have been here longer, are well known, etc. and respected for their monumental contributions to the hobby on these pages and where these characters are involved.

But I do address things that I may see and which may inadvertently paint me in a light that isn't accurate, or that may be misconstrued as to my actual character.

If ive offended anyone here, you have my sincere apologies.

If not, awesome. Let's post about Wolverine. I've loved the character since I was 14 years old.

And I'll continue to love the old Canuck until the day I die.

Travis

For now here is the link to the tartan-

Picture of the actual material-

View attachment 389734

Link to the Etsy store where you can purchase it-

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/159415044/100-woven-brushed-cotton-plaid-in-jewel?ref=market

I'll see you guys in a bit.

Here bellow is a quick preview of things to come...

View attachment 389743View attachment 389744View attachment 389747View attachment 389748View attachment 389752View attachment 389750View attachment 389751View attachment 389764

Here also are a couple of night shots as I worked to distress and prep the left sleeve for the missing stripe remnant sew-in and began weathering the remaining two amber stripe segments.

I'll have a complete Jacket distressing video, start to finish, that shows everything- Out of the box through the finished jacket in full detail for anyone interested..

View attachment 389766View attachment 389765
when do you think the video will be out

Drool, yeah.....I ordered mine last night too....Looks brilliant.....BUT! I would LOVE them to do the other characters too.....70's Wolverine would KILL it.....Professor X? Beast? Magneto! So many cool ideas they could do......The Wolverine ones are always excellent......But I'd like MORE of the other X-Men too..

Since I've never had to do this...And honestly, before trying this, didn't even know you really COULD do this, I figured some of the rest of you here might enjoy seeing what I've been working on the last couple of days.....

I got the Days of Future Past jacket from Dan a while back, and I loved it, but since it was a tester version, not the finalised "finished model", there were some aspects of the jacket that I had wanted to alter just slightly.....The skin was originally black leather, and since it was black, dye and retanning it a slightly different colour was impossible....This being the case, I had decided a while back to try painting on the skin, using a leather paint.....I asked Dan about it, and got a few good suggestions that allowed me to have a better idea of what I was looking for, and I found a shop here in Tokyo that sold a decent paint for leather.....The colour was an issue....All they had was basic colouring....Coffee brown, black, green and that was about all....So I chose coffee brown, based on looking at my copy of Days of Future Past...

I'd wanted a colour that was slightly darker than the reddish brown the original jacket was.....But not so dark that the red was entirely hidden, and the coffee seemed to allow that...I also had hoped that by painting over the red/brown skin, the red tones would then perhaps show through on the newer, darker brown when in sunlight, and lend a little more "warmth" to the thing.....

As it turned out, this is exactly what I got, and I'm very happy to have been able to do it all....But painting on leather was always a HUGE thing for me to do....Scary, but one hell of a ride when I saw it was turning out as I had hoped...

So, I thought you all might enjoy some of the better photos I took of the process as I went.....It worked rather well I think....(And apologies to my friends on Facebook who are seeing these photos twice...My bad)...

Here's the first...This is the first half done and the original skin on the left hand side....

Then I got the collar done...

Having run out of paint half way...I decided to get more and finish off the job at home....Leaving the sleeves and the sides still red..

Having gotten it home and bought more paint...This is what I managed to do.....Outside in natural sunlight....

And the back..

Here it is being worn...I think it came out rather well!

And the last one...Back while being worn...

I had been trying to aim for something a touch closer to the Pentagon jacket scene, where the jacket was wet and rather dark, and the colour presently seems to mimic that rather well, lightening up in the direct sunlight, and becoming very dark brown in shade and indoors....The red tones do indeed still shine through, and I am very happy with the overall effect of the jacket now.....I feel it works rather well for what I'd been trying to get to....

Interesting project, although given the choice, I'd still suggest dye jobs over a paint project....I think the dye feels more "solid"....Although having tested it, I can say that the paint doesn't crack or rub off at all......It'll be interesting to see how it ages, but I'm expecting it to be decent!

Anyway! Enjoy!

looks the goods fifth chamber i reckon the people that get a small collar version of this jacket are making a big mistake that bad-boy looks mad.
good work

Last edited by a moderator:
I always agree with that......While the 70's collar IS a huge statement, and a standout, on the right body shape, that is a bonus....If you lift weights, this enhances all the right things, and works REALLY well....If you're more straight up and down? Yeah, it looks a little too wide and out of place, but the flare works on the "V" shape well enough I think...It's a bloody lovely jacket, and I've re-fallen in love with it after the paint job! Which is always a good thing!

The show looks good too...I have a friend who promised to visit, so I'll be able to get some photos of that sometime soonish as well...I've asked for the shirt, jacket, belt and anything else he notices.....Shame I'm not back home in London......

Ah well..

Thanks mate! I'm glad with how it came out once the paint all dried too....The black areas I was worried about have gone..And the brown covers them perfectly......It's back onto my favourite jacket(s) to wear pile again now!

Wolverony: I meant no harm in the button on your shirt comment, just thought that since you were going for the 99.9% screen accurate look that you cared about it, that's all.
fifthchamber: I will be getting this jacket but probably not for a while...The 70s collar is growing on me...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Wolverony: I meant no harm in the button on your shirt comment, just thought that since you were going for the 99.9% screen accurate look that you cared about it, that's all.
@fifthchamber: I will be getting this jacket but probably not for a while...The 70s collar is growing on me...

Hehe....Don't worry mate, I'm not trying to sell jackets for Dan......Althoooooooooough, he will be bringing out a version made in the US, and that, I might want to get (again) myself...So there's no rush.......The 70's collar works....Really....It's insane, over the top, and stands out....But no more than wearing a brown jacket with three orange stripes on the arms eh? Heh.....Besides, who wants to blend in with "normal" people? "Normal" people dress like crap...... :D (I see em' at Walmart in their pyjamas!! LOL)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back