Halo ODST helmet build/paint start to finish!

travsall

Snagged one of Sean Bradley's ODST helmet kits, and finished it up last night! Took pics of the process cause it's always fun to see the build ;)
Absolutely fantastic kit, couldn't be happier with the quality, the only actual filler work it needed was for the small seam on the back, for a cast helmet that's impressive. Had a lot of fun with this paint up, since ODST armor is so customizable it gave some free reign to add personal touches!
Fresh outta the box, love that new prop smell ;)
odst1.jpg

After trimming and sanding and a look at the tiny bit of filler on the back
odst2.jpg

odst3.jpg

odst5.jpg

odst4.jpg

Undercoat after primer
odst6.jpg

odst7.jpg

After the undercoat, I followed Sean's tip of using toothpaste as a spray resistant, it doesn't just fight tar tar ;) Here's the base coat of gunmetal gray.
odst8.jpg

odst9.jpg

showing a couple spots where the toothpaste is under.
odst10.jpg

odst11.jpg

Added the center stripe, went with a medium gray, makes the metallic gunmetal stand out nicely!
odst12.jpg

odst13.jpg

After spraying flat black on the area around the visor, and the back detail panel.
odst14.jpg

odst15.jpg

Added UNSC in flat black below the panel.
odst16.jpg

Another personl touch was adding the ODST insignia. Did this with a 2 part stencil I worked out, had to transfer the top layer to tape to get clean edges, and be able to add the eyes, nostrils and lettering.
odst18.jpg

odst19.jpg

That takes us to the finished bucket! Visor screwed in place, and with my heat gun fit tight to the helmet. The toothpaste is ingenious! Worked like a charm, scratched and rubbed off easily with a damp cloth and my fingernails, couldn't be happier with the way the damage/wear looks!
odstfin1-1.jpg

odstfin10.jpg

odstfin11.jpg

odstfin4.jpg

odstfin3-1.jpg

odstfin6.jpg

odstfin2.jpg

odstfin9.jpg

odstfin5.jpg

For padding I wanted a somewhat realistic look, that also worked really well, so decided to go with a 7 piece pad set that is used in the US Army issue MMICH helmet. Also added a little foam over the top screws of the visor, does the trick damn good!
odstfin12.jpg

Proof of that good fit
odstworn2.jpg

Geared up for a little Halo action ;)
odstworn1.jpg

Awesome work! I built-up the same kit and had a blast. I was going to do an insignia, but my stenciling didn't go so well with the UNSC, so I didn't dare brave anything more intricate.

Congrats,

ATM
ShackMan

That's turned out amazing,great helmet. I hope to get one the kits myself if he still does them. This will help alot to when i finally get it.

Quick question,Is it a 1 size fits all helmet and does the pads come with the helmet ?

I'll probably have a few more questions when i get one as it will be my first time doing anything like it.

Again...great helmet it really turned out great :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back