Sucker Punch German Zombies

If I'm not mistaken, the vertical gas mask part (where the mouth would be) seems to be slanted inwards on your version.

I think theirs were pretty straight up and down. Other than that I love it. Really good work.

VERY COOL! Which helmet did you use? And is it fiberglass, plastic??? Nice job!

- Jeff

DSC_0230_2.jpg

Finally finished the paint work, 3 days to finish the rest, please be gentle.

One of the Guys in the Costumers Guild, The Awesome Darren, did a blow moulded helmet for everyone doing the zombie Germans. In that way, despite the individual approaches each of us is taking with the masks, we will have a uniform element joining us together visually. So all the helmets are plastic. Having dragged so many people into this excercise, I'm beginning to get concerned about the film. My faith in it was unshakable until this morning. Stupid reviewer.
There definitely is some structural errors in the faceplate, and I was trying to find the balance of the frontal venting unit. That was because I didnt have a side view yet. so everything esle threw it off.
Painting up the backpack filter at the moment, and then attaching the leather webbing. So... its nearly finished.
Thanks for your encouragement.

I am a WW1 re-enactor and am modifying one of my uniforms to portray a Sucker Punch German soldier zombie at this year's Comic-Con. The uniform is a standard Model 1907/10 Feldrock with Model 1907/10 piped trousers. Short boots and putees are worn, but I will wear my infantry boots instead. Black leather gear is worn, to include the Gew 98 cartridge pouches, belt and Y-straps. The buckle is interesting...it appears to be a Prussian style buckle, but instead of saying "Gott Mit Uns," the SP art book shows a part of the motto saying "Fruchtlos," which means "fruitless"...an inside joke, maybe? Other gear includes the WW1 bayonet scabbard (for the Con, I'll leave the bayonet at home), breadbag, canteen and mess tin (the movie zombies wear a Wehrmacht/Bundeswehr mess tin, but I will use the larger WW1 version). Most of the zombie soldiers wear what looks to be the Model 1918 steel helmet, but I think that the helmet skirt was cut down for stunt work. Other wear a cloth-covered pickelhaube (spiked helmet)...I am going to wear an uncovered pickelhaube with rusted steel hardware (it looks more zombie-like and steampunk-ish, in my opinion).

The major modification is in the gas mask. The mask worn by the majority of soldiers is an early WW2 U.S. and Canadian mask, modified to have dual hoses running to a tank worn on the soldier's back. I found a 1942 Canadian gas mask on eBay, removed the hose and filter and am replacing the glass in the eyeholes with screen, so that I don't have to worry with fogged-up lenses as I'm walking around the Con. These modifications also don't destroy the original gas mask in case I want to return it to original. The hoses are fabric-covered Russian gas mask hoses, with a 40mm fitting. I am actually using a WW2 Wehrmacht horse (yes, horse) gas filter for the gas canister on the back, replacing the single outlet hose with two 40mm fittings to accept the Russian hoses. I'll scratch-build a leather harness to keep the canister stable on my Y-straps. The only thing that is a challenge right now is how to convert the single intake fitting on the gas mask to accept two hoses; worst case, I can use a T-fitting but the hoses will run out perpendicular from a single fitting, rather than two separate outlets running out at a downward angle, as seen in the movie.

I will probably wear a latex zombie mask underneath it all to cover my neck and the back of my head (exposed under the helmet) because with the wool uniform and full-face covering, I expect to sweat a lot and makeup doesn't hold up well under those conditions. If I really get into it, I might stitch the gas mask to the latex mask for that mask-sewn-directly-onto-the-face look, but then I won't be able to restore the mask back to original (it is a wartime relic). I also don't want to mess up the uniform (tear it up to look zombie-ish, or stain it with makeup) because I do use it elsewhere. It may look too pristine, but should make for a respectable impression.

As a soldier, I should probably carry a rifle but don't know if Security at the Con will let me. I have an airsoft spring-loaded version of the WW2-era Mauser 98k...I will see if Security will let me carry that, even if I have to remove the bolt.

My daughter will be going with me as Amber.

- Parks

Last edited:
Its done!!!! I just touched up my jedi boots to be more black. It looks great. And the LEDS in the helmet are the perfect finishing touch. Craps my vision out a bit, but I'll still be able to see the pretty girls.

DSC_0286_2.jpg

The movie was fantastic, and our group had a tremendous time. We had way too much fun with the girls. Final costume came up a treat. And the movie wizzed by too quick to examine the costumes in any detail, so we turn back to the art of suckerpunch. And the LEDS didnt affect my vision too much, except for bumping into chairs.

DSC_0317_2.jpg

Suckerpunch was supposed to be a Musical after all. Babydoll tames the rabid German zombies. Adelaide preview of suckerpunch 6/4/11. Australian costumers guild.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back