Sucker Punch German Zombies

Different lighting, to show the method I used to mask the eye sockets...a black-and-rust-painted screen backed by sheer black muslin. Since you won't be able to see in, I can cut away good portions of the zombie latex mask so that I won't suffocate or overheat in there.

sp_mask2.jpg

Parks

I have to admit that I am no sculptor. I am drawing heavily from my WW1 re-enacting gear to pull together this costume, including a 1915 Line Pickelhaube (spiked helmet). I did have to modify an original 1942 gas mask (may the Militaria Collector Gods forgive me for altering an original wartime relic), but that was more metalwork than sculpting.

But to receive such a compliment from the likes of an accomplished sculptor like yourself (as evidenced by your own impressive mask) is very much appreciated!

Parks

I've got the gas mask canister completed. After experimenting with different ideas, I decided that the best all-around solution was a post-WW2 Soviet-style gas canister of German manufacture. The advantage of this was to take advantage of the rotating nozzles that would allow me to disconnect the hoses at either end, making it easier to get in and out of the mask whenever I needed a break.

I found a canister on eBay for $15, shipping from Poland. The thing was covered in some sludge of uncertain origin, so I made sure to wear a mask around it at all times. Even after sandblasting, the interior still had a nasty smell to it.

canister0.jpg

I then had to convert it from one nozzle to two. I did this by cutting off the single nozzle, including the surface around it. Then, I cut a piece of tin to cover the entire top plate of the canister. I bought an extra set of hoses off eBay (Soviet/Russian manufacture with 40mm nozzle fittings) and discarded the hose material so I had just the fittings. I used the extra fittings to receive the hoses on both the mask and the canister. The fittings are designed to rotate, so that the hose can be loosened or tightened at either end without twisting the hose. This is critical, if you want to free yourself from the mask and back-worn canister.

I cut holes in the tin plate and attached the extra hose fittings so that they would functionally rotate. I then used JB Weld to epoxy the new plate over the old. The hole that I had cut in the original canister was large enough to accommodate the fittings. This still left the interior of the canister -- with its nasty smell -- open, so I put a bead of JB Weld around the edge of the new plate and sealed the nozzles by epoxying two round tin plates over each nozzles' opening. I was careful not to let epoxy keep the nozzles from rotating. Now, the nasty smell is sealed inside.

canister1.jpg

After painting and weathering the canister, it will be ready to go. I painted the canister in Ordnance Tan, which is standard for all German military equipment. It also appears to be what the zombies' canisters were painted in the movie. 1944 Militaria sells Ordnance Tan in spray cans; otherwise, you can get the colour in bottles at any hobby store.

canister2.jpg

I am thinking of building a leather carrying harness that will be riveted directly to the Y-straps (I bought a pair of cheap, post-war Austrian Y-straps on eBay, which can be easily modified), so that the canister won't move around on my back and be easily removable.

Parks

Really cool build thread!

I actually enjoyed the movie and enjoying getting to see your takes on the German zombies.

I liked the pic with the chorus line zombies, but they definitely need some more dirt thrown on them. It's like looking at an undented and clean Boba Fett. ahha

latex masks don't ever do justice for costumes such as these, even with modifications they still look horrendous.
Nice work with creating the real deal, can't wait to see it completed!

Got my latex zombie mask, now I need to stitch the gas mask onto it. The zombie mask is oversized, so I need to tailor it down so that it fits closer to my head (and under the helmet and gas mask). Once the zombie mask is stitched on, I'll cut away the unseen portions of the zombie face so that I won't sweat to death inside.

zombie_sm.jpg

I should probably give it a haircut, too.

Parks

Here's my rig for carrying the gas canister on my back. I took three German mess tin straps and attached them to my Austrian post-war Y-straps.

sp_canister1.jpg

sp_canister2.jpg

The upper strap goes through the loop created by the centre adjustment strap on the Y-straps. I punched a hole through the centre adjustment strap and a (lower) mess tin strap and then threaded a button through both. For the vertical strap, I cut the mess tin strap in half (to extend its length) and riveted each half to the centre adjustment strap.

sp_canister3.jpg

I can remove the canister by unbuckling the straps, but as it is, I can easily put on or take off the rig because it's all together.

Parks

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back