Sucker Punch German Zombies

Looks to be a WW2 mess kit.
attachment.php

That is what I thought as well...minus the metal handle...

Steve,

I don't know if the mess tin handle was too fragile to sculpt on the model or maybe too fragile for the stunt guys to wear...most of the mess tins worn by actors in WW2 movies are made from rubber or foam so that it doesn't hurt to fall on them (same with the canteens, gas mask canisters and E-tools that were standard kit for German soldiers). Also, in the sculpt, the leather strap that holds the mess tin in place has an unusual loop in it, meaning that the mess tin strap was too long. As you can see in the photo above, the WW2 mess tin has a slot in the central handle, through which the strap should run. The WW1 mess tin was arranged differently, since it was meant to be strapped to the flap on the tornister (backpack).

I'm going to take some liberties with my German zombie impression, as well. Most significantly, I'm going to wear the Pickelhaube (spiked helmet), but without the helmet cover. Originally, I was going to wear jackboots, but now I think that I will go with the puttees. However, I'm not going as far as some of the concept art shows.

Do you have any rubber Mausers? I am still worried that Security may not allow my airsoft rifle.

Parks

Here's the shoulderboard that I have seen in stills from the movie:

shoulderboard.jpg

It's the shoulderboard worn by IR 92, which was a Braunschweig regiment. The belt buckle, as previously discussed, is from a Württemberg regiment, so there is some mix and match going on.

Parks

well got back from a long day at the shop...was not really able to put much effort on the Gas Mask and gun search (made a Lewis Gun with pancake magazine)...also found a mauser mold with the bolt action so I can make a rubber version if needed and bayonet as well...will look more the next time I am out...mainly for the MG08/15 and stick grenades...

Did have some water jetting out of brass for the eye pieces and was able to use a camera lens much like the concept artwork...loving the way it mocks up so far...and waiting for all the goodies to slowly arrive =)

Lewis

After much consideration, I decided that I have to make permanent alterations to my original 1942 gas mask in order to make it Sucker Punch-like. I hate doing that to vintage items, but it wasn't especially valuable.

I also received the WW2 German horse gas filter from Poland, another wartime relic that I have to both sandblast and convert. This will be the gas canister worn on the back.

I may be interested in the rubber Mauser/bayonet.

Parks

I stayed away from the gas masks from WWII and prior just due to the possible asbestos issues...I went with an Isreali version which is close enough in shape and style...

I have a gas mask can/holder coming...which looks like the correct one with the hook attachments for the Y-straps...time will tell when it arrives =)

Laters
Lewis

My mask has no asbestos in it because the filter is separate and I wasn't using the original filter, anyway. I wanted to use it because it is the same mask on which the movie versions are based but of course, it requires modification. The canister I bought is a battlefield relic so it's full of muck, but after I clean it up, I'll seal it up. I won't breathe in anything from the canister.

Since I am modifying the mask, I will now buy a latex over-the-head zombie mask and then sew the gas mask directly to the latex mask.

My leather pickelhaube, being made in India, is more of a concern. Either mold got onto the leather or they didn't seal the leather after tanning, but it smells funky. I've tried to take out the smell with mold killer, disinfectants and baking soda, but the smell is still there. I may have to paint it to try to seal it.

Parks

I am a WW1 re-enactor and am modifying one of my uniforms to portray a Sucker Punch German soldier zombie at this year's Comic-Con. The uniform is a standard Model 1907/10 Feldrock with Model 1907/10 piped trousers. Short boots and putees are worn, but I will wear my infantry boots instead. Black leather gear is worn, to include the Gew 98 cartridge pouches, belt and Y-straps. The buckle is interesting...it appears to be a Prussian style buckle, but instead of saying "Gott Mit Uns," the SP art book shows a part of the motto saying "Fruchtlos," which means "fruitless"...an inside joke, maybe? Other gear includes the WW1 bayonet scabbard (for the Con, I'll leave the bayonet at home), breadbag, canteen and mess tin (the movie zombies wear a Wehrmacht/Bundeswehr mess tin, but I will use the larger WW1 version). Most of the zombie soldiers wear what looks to be the Model 1918 steel helmet, but I think that the helmet skirt was cut down for stunt work. Other wear a cloth-covered pickelhaube (spiked helmet)...I am going to wear an uncovered pickelhaube with rusted steel hardware (it looks more zombie-like and steampunk-ish, in my opinion).

The major modification is in the gas mask. The mask worn by the majority of soldiers is an early WW2 U.S. and Canadian mask, modified to have dual hoses running to a tank worn on the soldier's back. I found a 1942 Canadian gas mask on eBay, removed the hose and filter and am replacing the glass in the eyeholes with screen, so that I don't have to worry with fogged-up lenses as I'm walking around the Con. These modifications also don't destroy the original gas mask in case I want to return it to original. The hoses are fabric-covered Russian gas mask hoses, with a 40mm fitting. I am actually using a WW2 Wehrmacht horse (yes, horse) gas filter for the gas canister on the back, replacing the single outlet hose with two 40mm fittings to accept the Russian hoses. I'll scratch-build a leather harness to keep the canister stable on my Y-straps. The only thing that is a challenge right now is how to convert the single intake fitting on the gas mask to accept two hoses; worst case, I can use a T-fitting but the hoses will run out perpendicular from a single fitting, rather than two separate outlets running out at a downward angle, as seen in the movie.

I will probably wear a latex zombie mask underneath it all to cover my neck and the back of my head (exposed under the helmet) because with the wool uniform and full-face covering, I expect to sweat a lot and makeup doesn't hold up well under those conditions. If I really get into it, I might stitch the gas mask to the latex mask for that mask-sewn-directly-onto-the-face look, but then I won't be able to restore the mask back to original (it is a wartime relic). I also don't want to mess up the uniform (tear it up to look zombie-ish, or stain it with makeup) because I do use it elsewhere. It may look too pristine, but should make for a respectable impression.

As a soldier, I should probably carry a rifle but don't know if Security at the Con will let me. I have an airsoft spring-loaded version of the WW2-era Mauser 98k...I will see if Security will let me carry that, even if I have to remove the bolt.

My daughter will be going with me as Amber.

- Parks

This is fantastic information. Thanks for posting! I can't wait to get this costume started.

Maybe I should make a combined shopping list of what you will need to make a complete German zombie soldier uniform (which is a mix of WW1 and WW2 articles), with links to where they can be purchased (disclaimer: I do not work for any of the sellers).

TRY EBAY FIRST to see if you can get used items at a cheaper price. If not, and you want to be completely authentic, I suggest that you go to these vendors:

Helmet: M1916 helmet
Jacket: Model 1907/10 Feldrock
Shoulderboards: IR 92 Schulterklappen
Trousers: Model 1907/10 Feldgrau Feldhosen
Greatcoat: M37 Greatcoat with WW1 buttons: 1910 Rimmed Crown Buttons
Belt: Black Leather Equipment Belt
Belt buckle: Württemberg Belt Buckle
Cartridge pouches: Black M1909 Cartridge Pouche
Y-straps: Leather Y-straps
Breadbag: Grey Breadbag
Canteen: Canteen
Bayonet: 98 Butcher Blade Bayonet and Scabbard
Bayonet frog: 98/05 Bayonet Frog
Mess tin: M31 Mess Kit
Puttees: German 12' Feldgrau Puttees
Boots: M42 Low Boots
Optional: Grenade: Stielgrenate 16

The last -- and most important -- item is the gas mask. The movie gas mask is based off the early-WW2 U.S. and Canadian design. It has to be converted from one hose to dual hoses, connected to a canister that is hung off the Y-straps by a custom leather carrier. You'll have to find this on your own, because it is not easily found. Attached below are detailed photos of the mask and canister, taken from the Gentle Giant sculpt:

mask3.jpg

mask4.jpg

And of course, the weapon...a Mauser Gewehr 98 rifle, with bayonet attached. That's the tricky thing to take into a convention.

Parks

Hi guys, some guy asked a long time ago at the "sucker punch costumes " thread, for references of the german and british soldiers and i left him some photos of the artbook.
But I can see everyone is more interested in this both:

5529838829_deb0b773ef_b.jpg

This is a good reference for the painting, and for the ones who doesn't own or want the book. Also the GG statue renders, are perfect.
I would buy the rubies mask, but looking at its pasts works, (and I think they are LATEX masks ) I won't expect much of precision. It's a good reference though, or for a cast maybe?

Oh, I forgot. I found this little b*stard by chance:
soldier2.jpg

ps: Loving the dancing soldiers at the previous page.

Great thread!
There are lot's of replica's of WWI German equipment available from International Military Antiques (IMA), just google them for the link.

BTW, anybody know why the Sucker Punch: Art of the Movie is so expensive now?

Scott

Have to be careful with IMA, though. The leather shell on the pickelhaube I got from them was not cured properly and I can't get rid of the stink. They are, however, the only place I can find that has the replica WW1 German M1916 helmets in stock at the moment. The helmets are not quite perfect replicas, but they should be fine for cosplaying.

I asked B&N why the Sucker Punch art book fell so quickly out of everyone's inventory. As best as they could tell, the publishers underestimated the demand and didn't print enough. The critics may have savaged the film, but there are aspects to the film that have attracted many supporters. I work in the industry and have been comparing notes with other directors about Snyder's storytelling and artistic vision. Love it or hate it, he film provokes. I expect that the publisher will reprint the book, but probably only in softcover.

Parks

Holy Smokes! I guess I got one just in time. I looked at what the "limited edition" signed one is going for, and now I don't feel so bad that I got one.

Here's the status of my mask. I still have to get a latex full-head zombie mask so that I can stitch the gas mask directly on to it. I have to stop fooling with my costume and get my daughter's Amber costume going, if I'm going to make it to SDCC.

sp_mask.jpg

Parks

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back