Mortal Kombat

Scareb

Sr Member
Ok, so who's gonna be picking up the new Mortal Kombat game that comes out in April?

I'm gonna be doing my preorder in the next day or two.

I still need to download MKII for the PS3 but I preordered the new MK last night at gamestop.
We went to check out and the checkout girl says "Do you want anything else or want to preorder anything for your PS3?"
I said "Mortal Kombat"
She threw up her arms, almost did a backflip and shouts "YES!!!" :lol
I wasn't sure if I should be scared or amused. My wife decided to try the demo based on the girl's reaction and she actually liked it.

My PSN id is the same as here too... d_jedi1

I might preorder mine from Best buy so that I can get subzero's classic costume and fatality.

I wanna get the kollectors edition so that I can the scorpion/subzero bookends and the art book.

Subzero seems like a very inferior character to Scorpion in this new game. His bone breaker isn't as easy to pull off either.

^^ Agreed.. Sub-Zero used to be my man in the game but in the demo at least, I found Scorpion much easier to use.
I found Scorpion and Mileena the easiest of the four to use in the demo.

The game is a throwback to MK 1-3. They went a little crazy in the later games with having 2 fighting styles and a weapon. I hated it because they'd give a different name to every fighting style, but 3 characters would have an identical fighting style.

The funny thing is i've been kicking major ass with sub-zero on the demo. And I don't know how scorpions x ray attack is easier to pull off, it's just pulling both triggers.

Been playing the demo on PS3 as well. Like it pretty well, but doesn't seem to be much of an update over MK vs DC. Sub-Zero's xray move is harder to pull off because its just so much easier to see it coming and the block happens. His ice ball seems a little slow also.

Will definitely get it, tho.

Will Kratos only be on the PS3 version?

No demo available on XBOX yet? Thats why XBOX sux :lol

Been playing the demo on PS3 as well. Like it pretty well, but doesn't seem to be much of an update over MK vs DC. Sub-Zero's xray move is harder to pull off because its just so much easier to see it coming and the block happens. His ice ball seems a little slow also.

Will definitely get it, tho.

Will Kratos only be on the PS3 version?

No demo available on XBOX yet? Thats why XBOX sux :lol

I think it's a major improvement over that pile of crap MK VS DC. I've seen more violence AND blood in an episode of powerpuff girls then that game. The trick I find is to use one of subzero's freezing techniques, because the thing is it's just as easy to block scorpions xray.

Kratos is PS3 exclusive but you can't use him on the single player, you can only use him when playing random matches against the computer or your friends,

They stated the xbox demo will be out after the 15th but i've seen nothing yet. I'm not too concerned, i'll just play it on my PS3 till it comes out. I think I'll probably pick it up on 360 though.

I think it's a major improvement over that pile of crap MK VS DC. I've seen more violence AND blood in an episode of powerpuff girls then that game.

The problem with that game and blood/gore was that they HAD to tone it down some so they could capture a younger gaming market as well.

Believe it or not there are some parents out there that do care and when a kid says "I want this game coz its gots the Batman innit!" The parent still sees only the MK part of MK vs DC.

I did miss the blood/gore factor in the game, but what I was really referring to in the previous post was the gameplay. The game physics and graphics weren't much different from MK vs DC. I did really expect something at least somewhat different, but gameplay is not bad overall.

Xray moves are an awesome addition to the gore factor. Just gruesome!!!!! The continual damage to outfit and body is nice as well (an upgrade of something done in MK vs DC) I'm sure overall the game is going to kick much ___!!! But a different play feel from MKDC would have been welcome as well.

I must admit I was more impressed with the overhaul that Street Fighter went thru over this, tho. This is just the game that we wanted when MKDC came out.

Last edited:
I can see what you mean by toning it down to appeal to a wider audience but the thing is is that Mortal Kombat has always been associated with gore and violence. It'd be like having a brand new street fighter game and taking away everyone's signature moves, just punches and kicks.

It's a game for adults, not for children (although I was around 9 when Mortal Kombat 1 came out) but it just depends on whether a kid can discern reality from fantasy. If there's one thing I hate, it's when they take something that can and should have an older rating (video games and movies alike) and make it for younger audiences just to make more money.

Thats why the World War Z movie is having trouble is because the studio wants to make a PG-13 zombie movie.

I see what you mean though, street fighter 4 definitely changed things up style wise with their game but really it was just a look upgrade. Everything else remained the same. I think the only way MK could change it up is if they made it photo-realistic.

I love the xray moves, definitely adds some new flavor to the game along with the hyper-attacks that use a bar of energy to power up your standard special move. They introduced damage back in deadly alliance/deception but that was just them getting bloody and bruised.

I was pretty impressed with the demo, I might pick this one up eventually.

Sadly, I will not be picking it up on launch day.. April 19th is not MK day. It's Portal 2 day. :)

Yes I can't wait maybe as soon as it comes out someone over on Facepunch will rip the game models and I can have pepakura fun I've been waiting for a good Sektor and Cyrax model to show up.

I remember buying the first one on the SNES, yeah, the one with the green blood......i looked forward to it for ages, forked out 60 quid for it, played for days, then my mate came round and kicked my arse everytime on vs mode.....petulantly, i flogged it not long after.....

Rich

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back