Best Chrome spraypaint in UK?

Birdie

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a prop that I want to spray chrome. I haven't had a lot of success with reflective paints in the past, due to excessive curing times.

I know a lot of people swear by Krylon, which is now available in the UK. I've tried the Platikote gold, and had the same curing/fingerprint issues.

Any good tips would be welcome for priming/application.

Finally, is it really worth the trouble? Does the chrome effect last? Would I be better going with aluminium then rub n buff?

Cheers.

<div class='quotetop'>(Birdie @ Aug 7 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]1295741[/snapback]</div>
I have a prop that I want to spray chrome. I haven't had a lot of success with reflective paints in the past, due to excessive curing times.

I know a lot of people swear by Krylon, which is now available in the UK. I've tried the Platikote gold, and had the same curing/fingerprint issues.

Any good tips would be welcome for priming/application.

Finally, is it really worth the trouble? Does the chrome effect last? Would I be better going with aluminium then rub n buff?

Cheers.
[/b]

The best spray, IMO, though pricey is MirraChrome by Alsa ~ And you need a gun. Out of a can, use Plati-kote "bumper chrome". But there really is no substitute for chroming unless you have a plate'r that can nickel or silver and doesnt chrome. Assuming this material is steel you are working with. Best of luck.

as for priming.... use Old Diminion "Flexi-fil" spf in a can....

sportzjunky - sorry mate I don't think any of that is available in the UK.

I've used the Krylon silver & gold leafing pens adn they give a good finish, but are tacky for a long time.

I used Krylon green paint and that also seemed to take a long time to dry. Nothing like PlastiKote and it's 'Go on holiday for six months and I just might be dry when you get back' issue, but considerably longer than with standard automotive acrylics (Holts etc.).

It may be worth using Holts chrome aluminium left to dry thoroughly with a final thin single blow over of PlastiKote chrome, I've found that it's tack free after a few hours and seems properly cured after a couple of days.

Alclad paints are fantastic, but so expensive for larger items you may as well build the damn thing out of metal.

how thick do you spray the plasticote?

I have had great results with the gold and chrome, I find 2/3 coats of lightish coats from a distance of 10-12 inches works well and its been fully cured in 2 days tops.

I would only use the Plastikote if its a prop you're NEVER going to handle. It will pick up finger prints and marks very easily and those cannot be polished out.

<div class='quotetop'>(fettster @ Aug 8 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]1296044[/snapback]</div>
how thick do you spray the plasticote?

I have had great results with the gold and chrome, I find 2/3 coats of lightish coats from a distance of 10-12 inches works well and its been fully cured in 2 days tops.
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(SWFreak @ Aug 8 2006, 01:51 PM) [snapback]1296096[/snapback]</div>
How about Alclad II chrome paint? You might be able to get that in the UK.
[/b]

Yep i'd go with Alclad II and yes you can get in the uk.
You just need to matt-black your piece first..

Heres a couple of links for you and the price aint that bad.

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1278_1_1023503.html <<< nice colour comparison picture.

http://www.modelsinmotion.co.uk/addprod.as...ode=&tamiya=273

Ps.. the other thing about Alclad is its touch dry pretty much as soon as you've spray it.

<div class='quotetop'>(Talisen @ Aug 8 2006, 02:46 PM) [snapback]1296133[/snapback]</div>
Matt black under coats? I believe it's really a enamel gloss black undercoat.
[/b]

Talisen, you are so right, it is a enamel gloss black undercoat that you use.
Where was my head at typing that :confused

Unfortunateley my compressor is broken so airbrush is out :(

Right now I'm experimenting with Halford's Chrome.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back