10th Doctor's white trainers

I am so jealous of you right now, just for the record. And I'm glad to know; I wasn't ever sure. So I'm guessing that means that there were promo shot shoes, and then Tennant's own white shoes, which he kept, and the emblems were left on those.

Aaand now I'm going to start digging through the episodes again, as most of the promo shots show slightly dirty white shoes, while the shoes from the show itself (usually) looked dirtier but lighter. I'm wondering if the show-used whites were Optical White, as mine have taken on a slightly more natural color after wearing them for a while. Unless someone has several good shots from different episodes to prove this theory wrong.

The pair I have were Tennant's shoes, which had the emblems removed and were used for all the promo shots. They weren't optic white, but back when they were purchased the natural white was a lot whiter then the cream color they are now. Sometime before 2005, the color of the natural white shoes changed pretty drastically, which is why all the shoes used in the show are the cream color but the promo photo shoes are closer to the optic white, but all the shoes are the M9162's.

I thought Tennant's shoes were used in the show itself, and the promo shoes were BBC property.

So basically, either way is going to be more or less accurate? Dirty/slightly dyed Optical White for promo style, and White (cream) for show?

Also, found a pic of the inside side of the mono blacks, and it does indeed look like they removed the logos. I'll try and find one that's a decent resolution, but he didn't wear them often.

I'd be interested in seeing that picture. You mean the ones he wore with the tux?

According to Louise Page, and backed up by my source for the shoes, a pair of boots were picked out for Tennant's Doctor, but he vetoed them with a pair of chucks he wore in, so they used them for the promo photos, and then they were stored and several pairs were purchased for use on the show.

Also, I would say that if you want to go for the promo photo look you can get the optics really dirty and go with it, but the unbleached is still technically the correct model and the cream colored ones were the only ones ever seen on screen.

I've always wanted to find out about that first pair of shoes...wasn't it originally going to be a pair of Japanese jump boots?

Yea, me too. Louise said they were military styled, the Japanese thing came from somewhere else, maybe an interview. I'd love to see what they looked like too, as I wear nothing but boots.

I don't know how we'd get in contact with her, but if you're able to I'd love to know what she says.

Speaking of alternate costumes, I would love to have seen what they put together for Matt Smith before he came up with the final costume. Unfortunately, I don't think they ever documented it though.

I just heard it looked like a pirate. Maybe we'll get to see a glimpse of what they had in mind in the upcoming pirate episode.

Since you seem to know a bit on the subject, out of curiosity, what were the trainers the Fifth Doctor wore? I ask because I assume they were Tennant's inspiration for his sneakers and I suspected this was why the line about the trainers made it into "Time Crash" along with the 'brainy specs' being things the 10th Doctor got from the Fifth. I never see all white sneakers that are so plain like that for sale anymore, but Nike and others used to make leather or faux leather sneakers like that in the 80s...

Ah, interesting. And yeah, he wore the black ones with the tux, and there were a few other times, as well. As I said, I'll see if I can get a decent resolution image; the only one I have of the black ones is very small, but the rubber disk of the logo is very evident on the shoes normally, and it doesn't appear to be on them.

EDIT: Just noticed that, at least on the action figure, he's actually wearing regular black converse, and not mono blacks. But I know I've seen at least one shot of him wearing mono black ones....

And by mono black do you mean everything including the toe and sole is black? Because if so, never happened. Also, the plain black and whites were only ever worn with the tux. The other ones were actually navy blue and were only worn a couple times.

He wore the black ones with the brown suit in Rise of the Cybermen and Fear her...where does this Navy Blue myth keep popping in from?

Last edited:
Wow, that's the first time I've actually seen a picture that shows them as black. It's pretty darn convincing, too. I guess I was wrong.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back