10th Doctor's white trainers

:lolThis has suddenly all gone a bit "Life of Brian".
I don't want to be the one called a very naughty boy, so more on topic. In this photo, do you think the logo is painted over, or rubbed/sanded/scraped off?
vlcsnap-2011-04-17-18h27m19s113.png

The logo is slowing wearing off my Chucks just from natural wear. I haven't tried to actually actively weather them and I've lost some of the logo.

I don't normally comment on such things, but since the new series has been aired, rumour counter rumour & myth seem to become 'fact' (CO toy replacing the original size of Sonic, different colours of Sonics are but two that spring to mind), so before we have another piece of nonsense going on Wikipedia & becoming 'fact', I want to nip this matter re the converse logo in the bud.

Risu you say...
"And the logos weren't painted over, that's just one of those persistent bits of misinformation that will never die. "

WRONG! I have no idea where you came by your own bit of misinformation but the logo's WERE painted out. This has also been documented by the costume designer either in DWM or the 1st Hardback re the revamped show. The proof of course is in that screen grab above. Re-watch Planet of The Dead 3mins16secs as The Dr steps onto the bus. There are of course other examples which im sure people will point out.

The BBC cannot be seen to endorse clothing brands & this is why it was removed. Please also see the pictures I have attached re screen used trainers a mate of mine owns.

Thankyou

I'm away from home on my phone right now and can't see your pics very clearly, so I can't comment on them. As far as the planet of the dead shoes goes, I can't remember any details on those ones that tells if they were painted over or rubbed off. Obviously for close ups the logos were obscured somehow to avoid product placement, but that wasn't necessarily the case for all of the shoes. It's been at least a year and I can't remember where or in what episode I saw it, but there is at least one scene where you can see the logos untouched from a distance. That being said, your friend's pair is clearly altered as are mine, but definitely not in the same way. I'm looking forward to getting home so I can take a closer look at those pictures.

Fine but it not a myth or as you say...

"And the logos weren't painted over, that's just "

They WERE painted out , & its not one of those persistent bits of misinformation that will never die. Regardless of you being able to see on your phone or not, & the screen cap for Planet of the Dead is above my post. Again this is clearly painted out. If you saw one NOT painted out that may have been an exception in early days in filming, but it wasnt the norm as they would have treated ALL of the pairs. There is normally 3copies of each part of costume for filming for continuity.

Why are you still arguing? I agreed with you.

After seeing them on my monitor I agree that your friend's look to be painted, but they also look completely different from the planet of the dead shoes. Those ones could be painted or worn, I can't tell.

Post edited because I'm tired of this crap.

Last edited:
Updated info re my mates shoes.

The paint is dirty. Its white acrylic, which can be sticky so yes does attract dirt. Re The Voyage of The Dammed screenshot, the paint was new, hence why it looks quite white. The giveaway for the paint of course is the the edges of the painted area.

Risu - It didnt read that you agreed about the shoes worn on screen in your last post, only of the photos of my mates. However I think we can lay to rest your statement.

"And the logos weren't painted over, that's just one of those persistent bits of misinformation that will never die. "

& an clear retraction from yourself would, I should have thought, be the correct thing to do. & in future, please be responsible & check facts before making sweeping statements. It really isnt helpful especially for those people who have original props etc. who then have to fight their corner to prove fact against myth.

Sounds like you're in need of some thicker skin. Nobody listens to me anyway. I can't tell you how many times I've had to say the same thing over and over again, people still won't believe it. I had people call me a liar when I quoted Louise Page verbatim. That's the mindset I'm coming from and the reason I've only shared a lot of stuff I know with two or three people. And yes, I have made generalized statements in the past. I'm only 23, and I've accepted the fact that every day I'm less of an idiot than I was the day before. I've learned from my mistakes the hard way, thanks primarily to people who call me out and even attack me for them.

When it comes down to it, the only thing that will definitively prove a person owns something screen used or original is a COA, and even that's dodgy. I know where my shoes came from, but I also know I can never prove it and I don't care to because it's a waste of valuable time I could be using for something else. But then, I don't plan on selling them.

So just to clarify, yes, it appears that the screen worn shoes had the logos painted over, at least in all of the close-up shots, with white paint. I agree on all points and was wrong to assume early on that they weren't. Now out of curiosity, does your friend know which pair of shoes he owns/has he spotted any distinctive marks on them present in a particular scene or episode?

Thicker skin has nothing to do with it. & don't be insulting. I'm just fed up with people causing confusion. If no one listens to you what's the point in saying it. You say your 24 as though that's an excuse? As I said before if you're not sure of facts don't say them its not helpful. I have nothing more to add.

First I'd like to say that I don't want this argument to continue. I've done my best to retract my previous statement and you just won't have that, you have to burn me at the stake. And for the record, I haven't been as insulting as you have.

Sorry *bump*
Were the logos on the back painted over as well? And why does Drwhoprops.com say it was brown latex paint? Sure looks white to me.

Last edited:
He wore navy ones when walking across the field to Martha and the Tardis at the end of Family of Blood. They only used that pair to stop the costume ones getting covered in mud and ruined from the field as it was raining and very sloshy. They weren't really part of teh costume though, so can be ignored as being canon.

They also used long nylon football socks with the Converse as they stop the Converse squeek you get when you wear them for long periods. That created havoc with the sound technicians. They also wick moisture away from the foot well with Converse and make them more comfortable to wear.

And for the sake of obsession, what color were these nylon football socks? UK or US kind of football?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back