10th Doctor's white trainers

Yea, me too. Louise said they were military styled, the Japanese thing came from somewhere else, maybe an interview. I'd love to see what they looked like too, as I wear nothing but boots.

I was leafing through "The Inside Story" the other day and it was in an interview about the Tennant costume that Louise said they were "Japanese military boots."

Google image search has been surprising unhelpful in figuring out just what Japanese military boots look like.

If I can find a good pair fairly cheap I might just pick them up.

He wore the black ones with the brown suit in Rise of the Cybermen and Fear her...where does this Navy Blue myth keep popping in from?

There's definitely at least one story with navy ones, because I remember seeing them and thinking how much better they looked. Which lead me to buying a pair of the navys. I have navy and maroon (for a blue suit day), but none of the off-white ones.

In some shots the black looked more Navy, but he never wore that colour. He only wore black and the natural whites with his brown suit, then only the burgundy with the blue suit, and of course black with the tux/blacksuits as well.

As I mentioned the only time he wears other colour shoes with the brown suit is Fear Hear and Rise of the Cybermen...both which are black, the latter I assume because they wanted to transition into the tux.

Actually, that kind of makes me think of the whole "Where did Luke and Han have their boots while they were dressed as stormtroopers?" discussion.

He wore navy ones when walking across the field to Martha and the Tardis at the end of Family of Blood. They only used that pair to stop the costume ones getting covered in mud and ruined from the field as it was raining and very sloshy. They weren't really part of teh costume though, so can be ignored as being canon.

They also used long nylon football socks with the Converse as they stop the Converse squeek you get when you wear them for long periods. That created havoc with the sound technicians. They also wick moisture away from the foot well with Converse and make them more comfortable to wear.

Don't know if this helps, but here's a screencap from Planet of the Dead:

vlcsnap-2011-04-17-18h27m19s113.png

And here's several pictures from this prop site - Doctor Who Props (about half way down the page). Apparently they're (one of the pairs) of trainers worn by Tennant:

trainers_001.jpg

trainers_002.jpg

trainers_003.jpg

You can see on that last picture evidence of using latex paint to cover up the logo.

Awesome bit of information! I only got converse when I started putting the costume together, and I've always wondered how they managed to cover up the ridiculous amount of sound produced by those shoes.

He wore navy ones when walking across the field to Martha and the Tardis at the end of Family of Blood. They only used that pair to stop the costume ones getting covered in mud and ruined from the field as it was raining and very sloshy. They weren't really part of teh costume though, so can be ignored as being canon.

They also used long nylon football socks with the Converse as they stop the Converse squeek you get when you wear them for long periods. That created havoc with the sound technicians. They also wick moisture away from the foot well with Converse and make them more comfortable to wear.

He also wears them in Love and Monsters I believe in one of the scenes at least... Could be wrong though, I don't tend to watch that episode often...

He also wears them in Love and Monsters I believe in one of the scenes at least... Could be wrong though, I don't tend to watch that episode often...

I don't think anyone watches, or has any need to watch that episode, so I doubt we'll ever know for certain

Well no matter how hard I try I still can't find the original white trainers :(. Nor can I find the maroon ones :S Only pair I found were the bright red...which works for me LOL

They look maroon to me. The red color is never subtle like that, it's always "HEY LOOK AT ME LOOK HOW RED I AM THE GUY WEARING ME IS A CLOWN!" regardless of lighting.

He did. But the trainers are usually the maroon ones, whereas these look like they might be red...

They look maroon to me. The red color is never subtle like that, it's always "HEY LOOK AT ME LOOK HOW RED I AM THE GUY WEARING ME IS A CLOWN!" regardless of lighting.

Yeah, the color grading in that photo looks really weird. The blue suit looks almost grey.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back