Weta - Dr Grordbort's Custom Raygun Contest! - SHOW OFF YOUR CONCEPTS AND DESIGNS!

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
I couldn't be more excited to share this news with you.

While Weta is EXTREMELY busy helping create the world of the Hobbitt, they have taken the time to develop and sponsor a contest unlike anything we have had on the RPF before. This is a bit of a pilot for us, to see how contests like this work and we expect it to be a smashing success!

So, what is this contest all about? Weta has asked us to customize 100 stripped versions of their popular Righteous Bison raygun in the style of Greg Broadmore's Dr Grordbort's universe.... what? You don't know what Dr Grordbort's is? Get over to: Dr Grordbort's Infallible Aether Oscillators and learn! You can't win the contest without delving into the universe!

To learn more about the details of this contest, what is required, and what rewards are being offered, check out the attached PDF (or images in the second post), to get the details straight from Greg Broadmore, creator of the Dr Grordbort's universe! This contest is a great opportunity for our members and we hope you will participate! Once you have read the contest details, head over to wetanz.com to pick up your own Righteous Bison for the contest!

NUDE Righteous Bison Raygun for RPF Contest

Please keep an eye out next week for a contest within a contest, sponsored by the RPF!

PS In addition to this contest, Weta is offering a 10% discount to RPF members on any Dr. Grordbort’s products purchased before 18 April 2011 online at www.wetanz.com! Just use promo code "therpf2011" (it is case sensitive, so all lower case) at checkout for your discount!

------

EDIT - 3/23

Some members have asked if they would be alllowed to make multiple entries. If you buy multiple guns, you may indeed make multiple entries!

Also, if you plan to enter the contest, please preorder before 03/31/2011. Weta is placing a special order with its manufacturer for this contest and will be basing the order size on preorders, so get them in now! We don't want you to miss out on this contest!

Last edited:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So I ordered one now I have a question...how do I know I'm registered into the contest? They never asked for my ref name or anything. Can someone confirm this or anything.
Christopher

I'm in, pending cost of international shipping.

*EDIT* Ordered mine. International shipping is more than reasonable. Plus I had some Weta Dollars left over. And the 10% RPF discount. It would be a great deal even without the competition!

Last edited:
So is this a re-painting contest, or does anything fly?

Actually, our hope is that this is NOT simply a repaint contest. Weta is looking for you to use the Righteous Bison as a base to really let your imagination fly. The guns are unpainted simply because we assumed with all that you guys would be sculpting, screwing and gluing on to them, you would want a blank canvas, plus it helped bring the price down (just as a note, Weta is not making anything on these). They really want to see you let your imagination go wild while staying within style of the Dr Grordbort's universe (very very important point), but the more out there you are, the more likely you are to win! I can't speak for them, but I think anyone simply doing a repaint would be very unlikely to win.

I am SO in!

Question... which I'm sure others are asking... does the 10% off code apply towards the $49 USD for the unfinished Righteous Bison?

EDIT: It works... just apply the code under where it asks how many Weta dollars you want to use.

Eek! Actually, the code SHOULDN'T work as the guns are already being offered at cost.... doh!

So I ordered one now I have a question...how do I know I'm registered into the contest? They never asked for my ref name or anything. Can someone confirm this or anything.
Christopher

Christopher,

Once you have completed your customization, you will need to take 3 pics of the gun and send them to contest@therp.com along with your board name. Purchasing the gun doesn't automatically enter you into the contest.

Awesome!!
I'm very in as well, here's hoping we can fill all 100 spots!

It is really a big deal that we do sell all 100 as Weta has bent over backwards to make a special run of the guns, unpainted, for this contest. Please encourage other talented prop makers to pick up a gun and join the site so they can participate as well. The failure or success of this contest will weight heavily on the kind of things we do in the future so if this is a success we will certainly be doing more in the future!

Actually, our hope is that this is NOT simply a repaint contest. Weta is looking for you to use the Righteous Bison as a base to really let your imagination fly. The guns are unpainted simply because we assumed with all that you guys would be sculpting, screwing and gluing on to them, you would want a blank canvas, plus it helped bring the price down (just as a note, Weta is not making anything on these). They really want to see you let your imagination go wild while staying within style of the Dr Grordbort's universe (very very important point), but the more out there you are, the more likely you are to win! I can't speak for them, but I think anyone simply doing a repaint would be very unlikely to win.

Sounds awesome! I was pretty sure that was the case, I just didn't see it anywhere in the rules. I'm totally in! :thumbsup

How strictly will this rule be enforced?

Considering that the Dr Grordbort's universe is the whole point of the contest, I would say, pretty strictly... Still, if you really delve into the material, it has a pretty broad scope and I would think it wouldn't be too restrictive on one's imagination to build something uber-cool in that style.

Considering that the Dr Grordbort's universe is the whole point of the contest, I would say, pretty strictly... Still, if you really delve into the material, it has a pretty broad scope and I would think it wouldn't be too restrictive on one's imagination to build something uber-cool in that style.

Got it. Thank you.
Makes the decision easy, no matter how tempted I am to do a District 9 inspired repaint, :)lol) I think I can come up with some in the Grordbort universe.

Hi Everyone

We really hope this will be a fun competition for you to show off your model-making, prop-making, painting and creative skills ! Let your imagination run riot !

However please note we do have one initial glitch in our system ; The 10% discount is supposed to apply to all Dr Grordbort's items purchased on our website, except for the unpainted Righteous Bison. Currently it is actually working for the unpainted Righteous Bison, which is our mistake. Sorry about this, we are fixing it now. So unfortunately we will not be able to honor the 10% discount on the unpainted Righteous Bison. Could I therefore respectfully ask you to please refrain from using it on this promotional product, which is already heavily discounted for this promotion.

Yes, the gun does need to be in the style of Greg Broadmore's Dr Grordbort's universe. We hope you'll find plenty of ideas by having a look around the website.

Thanks for your interest. This is your opportunity to impress the likes of Weta's multi-Academy Award winning Creative Director Richard Taylor.

I will be back to answer questions on this thread

Kind regards

Tim

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back