Paul

I enjoyed it a lot. really well done and gave so many great references to classic 80 and even 70's films. a really great offbeat classic. Love Paul.

Not the best offering from Pegg and Frost, but I enjoyed it.

I wasn't entirely behind the stoner alien angle, but I guess Rogan works in that context. Was the part originally like that, or was it rewritten for him?

Speaking of references, I think I was the only one in the theater who thought the "car park" vs. "parking lot" line was funny. Bloody Americans!

great, thanks for the reviews!

I've heard this movie has a lot of references to geek culture...right up my alley :cool

hope to see it soon!

brad

this movie has tons of references to almost all great 80 and 70's movies. although not as great as hot fuzz or shaun of the dead, this film completely takes a novice idea and expands on it from a great point of view from your everday geek. its a perfect film about best friends.

Not sure I can remember them all, but here are a few:

SPOILERS!!!!!!

Lorenzo Zoil (hilarious name) shoots his radio and says "It was a boring conversation anyway."

Nick Frost having a dream about "Boomer."

The band in the bar playing the cantina music.

Devils Tower from Close Encounters

Blyth Danner swings at Sigourney Weaver yelling "Get away from her you *****!"

I am sure there are some I have forgotten, and some I might not have caught the first time. Anybody else?

Not sure I can remember them all, but here are a few:

SPOILERS!!!!!!

Lorenzo Zoil (hilarious name) shoots his radio and says "It was a boring conversation anyway."

Nick Frost having a dream about "Boomer."

The band in the bar playing the cantina music.

Devils Tower from Close Encounters

Blyth Danner swings at Sigourney Weaver yelling "Get away from her you *****!"

I am sure there are some I have forgotten, and some I might not have caught the first time. Anybody else?

another good one was whatshernames father saying "im on a mission from god" i thought that was awesome. overall this movie was WAY better than i thought it was going to be and i also think that the trailers did a crap job of advertising it as they made the movie look like another seth rogan stoner movie when infact it was nothing like that.

Haven't seen it yet, but I think it's funny they made up a "fake" SD Comic-Con for the film. I was gonna be in it, but had to work. I know a couple people that got face time in the back ground.

- Jeff

I saw an advanced screening of it about 2 weeks ago I think? I loved it. I really liked the inside sci fi jokes they had. Alot of people went into this expecting it was another shaun or fuzz but edgary wright didnt even direct it. There were a couple of funny ET references in there too. I don't want to give anything away because this topic doesnt have a spoilers tag in it and i'd hate it if we ended up listing all the references and killing it for people who havent seen it yet.

I heard that it's more a commentary on the US than anything. Is that true?
I didn't think so. There are a few jabs at some "typical American stereotypes", but they come and go as quickly as the rest of the jokes and gags in the film.

I saw it this afternoon, and really enjoyed it. Not quite as "polished" as Shaun of the Dead, but it's a fun film with a lot of laughs. And there are so many sci-fi film references that you're likely to lose track of them all.

It's not Shaun, or Hot Fuzz (or Spaced)... but, it was still lots of fun. I think most of the fun was the in jokes that most of us would get. I found myself laughing alone more than a few times during the flick. Without Simon and Edgar and all those in jokes, it would be just another Seth Rogan how-many-bad-jokes-can-I-fit-in-to-this-one. (Rewatching Undeclared and Freaks & Geeks just reminds me that this guy was so good at one time).

I would buy a soundtrack just for the country version of the Cantina music.

I would buy a soundtrack just for the country version of the Cantina music.
The moment I heard it I thought, "Well, it won't be long before that's a popular ringtone." :lol I hope it'll be on the soundtrack CD.

Speaking of which, did anyone else think the songs they chose for the soundtrack were just about perfect? In some spots the music itself got a laugh from me.

My one bit of criticism was using Seth Rogen's voice. Sort of took me out of the movie at first. Apart from that--loved this flick!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back