My foam Iron Man costume build.

Re: Another ironman foam build yup sorry another one.

oops posted pic of cybermn build in ironman build thread, sorry.

Last edited:

Will be posting pics on Tuesday, Been working on Cyberman for a few days, I like to alternate between projects so I dont get bored. But I wil be doing more Tuesday and will post pics. Thanks for wanting more.

ok heres a small update nothing big.
DSCF2309.jpg

Ok so gave the whole thing a coat of plastidip to help seal any open cells, and hopefully give it a less foam look. then I gave it a coat of fire engine red.

DSCF2334.jpg

would love some input please guys.

Ok so gave the whole thing a coat of plastidip to help seal any open cells, and hopefully give it a less foam look. then I gave it a coat of fire engine red.

DSCF2334.jpg

would love some input please guys.

it looks good, but the red seems to be a little bit brighter than the helmet. if thats the helmet you plan to wear with the finished suit I would suggest trying to find a little bit darker shade of red for the suit. of course it could just be a lighting thing

The helmet is just for show, I am working on a new one, and will paint it the same fire negine red, thanks. Plus it is the lighting, it doesnt look to bad in normal light, but I had the flash focused on the body, and the sun was setting in through the main window and shinning right on the body.
But yes there is a difference in the colour and I will be working on that. thank you for the advice I really appreciate it.

Thank you aswell, The shoulders were fun to do, I bought a mixing bowl from a dollar store and was able to cut it up and make two nice shoulder bells that I covered in foam.

Wow I've just finished pepping the Chest and Back sections of a MKIII suit and I have to say I think your way might have been a better option for me :lol: great work so far!

Thanks, I have tried Pep files before and to be honest, I just find them to hard, I can not get all the small folds and stuff glued without making a huge mess. I love others pep work, I think it is great and I wish I could do it, But at least I have this way.
Do you have a thread start with your Ironman build?.

Well done man. I recommended your thread to someone to as they wanted an easier way to build foam armor without pepakura.

The suit is bangin ! I'm having a hard time finding the foam, any ideas where I should look? How thick is it?

Just wondering if carpet padding would be an option?

Do you have a thread start with your Ironman build?.

I do it's the link in my signature but I don't have as many pictures as I'd like because my camera's on the fritz :cry hopefully it's just duff batteries and I can get some new rechargables soon... fingers crossed.

Ok here's a small update. I was hoping for a bigger update but the store didn't have the right colour paint I needed so I will have to go back next week. Anyway its raining today so I couldn't do any painting even if I had the paint.
DSCF2359.jpg

I knew keeping the lids from old baby food jars would come in handy!...
DSCF2360.jpg

Last edited:

Yup I sure did. Works really well, Make sure you shake the can good, at least 3-4 minutes, or it will spray spots of plastic all over your piece.

Amazing, innovative, cool.... geez, this build is fun to watch!

You, Sir, are an amazing improviser. Are you by chance a musician or artist?

Thank you so much for the conplements.
I have always wanted to be a musician but just can't find the time. I have been artistic since I was born. My Father is extremely talanted oil painter and my Grand Father was apparently an amazing artist ( never knew him he died in a coal mine accident when my Father was young) So artistic talent runs in the family. I normaly just do pencil sketches (I am colour blind with certain colours and it makes it hard to do colour pictures) I always liked to customize my toys, but it was only last year (about this time) that I started full scale porjects, I have built a Clonetrooper costume (it was a kit), but the Tardis and Dalek were my first ever attemps starting from nothing, and now a Cyberman and Ironman costume are both my first attemps at building a costume from scratch and also my first attemps at using foam as a medium.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back