My foam Iron Man costume build.

familyman

Sr Member
Never built a costume from start to finish before, sure I have a clonetrooper armor but that was a kit.
I wanted an Ironman, and my kids wanted to see me build one, I dont have a lot of money so I bought some foam mats they are for under sleeping bags, I got them for $4.00 a roll, at my local bargian store.
I am also using floor mats. the good thing is the foam mats for the sleeping bags have a nice smooth finish, I have tried glue and painting on scraps so i know what to expect.
anyway I have tried to keep it as real looking as possible, but to be honest it is above my level right now.
Anyway hope you enjoy.
Comments welcome.
always looking for adivce and helpfull hints.
be kind!!.... lol

DSCF2094.jpg

DSCF2095.jpg

DSCF2150.jpg

DSCF2151.jpg

DSCF2152.jpg

DSCF2153.jpg

DSCF2176.jpg

DSCF2173.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Another ironman foam build yup sorry another one.

Looking good.
I'm guessing you will have checked out Don Roberts and Graphic Jordans threads, if not have a look they have laods of tips on foam usage!
Keep up the great work

yeah I have been followig their threads for sometime now. thats where I got the idea.
thanks for the kind words and info.

Definitely a great start with a very clean look. Has me thinking twice about the materials for my armor when I get to it.

Definitely a great start with a very clean look. Has me thinking twice about the materials for my armor when I get to it.

Thank you so much.
Will be posting more pics hopefully tonight, now that the kids are back to school (March break over) I should be able to find a few minutes to do some more.

This are really imcredible already, making it with foam from scratch, hope to see the whole suit completed soon.

Ok so been a while, been trying to figure out how to make the arms strong and not to think. Went to my local bargain store and found these.
DSCF2222.jpg

the plastic is nice and easy to cut, and the size is just right for my bicepts.
I picked up 8 of these, four for ironman and four for the arms on the cyberman costume I am working on.
After cutting to size I was able to come up with the following piece, I think it will work great. It will look better once I add all the extra foam pieces. Wasn't sure how to join the pieces until I found small little locking screw and nuts on a visor I had bought ages ago for use in a clone trooper helmet.
Please let me know what you think.
DSCF2227.jpg

Are you using pep files for templates, or doing your own design? Lookin' sweet!

Keep these beautiful foam bastards coming!!!
I see you have adapted Chims rubbermaid tech!
Great job I love It!!!

no pep files, just working off of a lot of pics from internet and this site, and using one of my sons 12" ironman toys for some references. Everything is done by eye. It will not be an exact replica but it will be close enough for everyday people to enjoy, and mainly for my kids to enjoy.
I also keep a close eye on other peoples builds. Have been interested in trying the rubbermaid tech, but I am on such a low budget even trash cans are to expensive for me. So far I have spent on this costume about $40.00, I try and make use of what I have laying around, just like my Tardis and Dalek builds.
I appreciate the kind words, thanks.
Will gladly keep posting pics as progress happens.

Always love the foam mat build progress threads. Keep 'er up!

BTW, you mentioned a cyberman suit you're building in parallel. Does that have its
own thread, by chance?

Holy cwap! Doing it by eye! My hat is off to you, sir!

After almost a full year of research, I've discovered that "accuracy" really doesn't exist when it comes to armors from IM I. There were multiple practical suit designs and multiple CGI versions. So a builder's task isn't so much "is it to scale" but "does it look right"? And yours is looking mighty right!

Suggestion, if I may: don't forget the neck seal :)

seriously thanks guys, the support and words of kindness really do help.
Don't worry I have not forgot the neck seal, but thanks for the reminder, I would rather have someone remind me of something then not have anyone say anything and I forget aswell lol.
The cyberman costume, does have its own thread yes. Not much going on there yet, will be posting more pics in it tomorrow.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/started-work-cyberman-costume-112551/

I will also post more pics of the ironman tomorrow, I have just finished building the arc reactor, cost me $2.00 to build, looks ok I think, I have a battery box that will be consealed in the main body and have a small switch that will be installed either just inside near the neck or shoulder area so I can switch it on and off easily.

hey family man, this is looking really cool, the over all shapes of all the pieces looks pretty good so far,
but i think you should make the arms out of foam, just for a consistent look and you could prolly get them looking pretty accurate seing as how well you did with the chest,

just my two cents,
cheers, Jacoby

Thanks, the arms will look like they have been made from foam, because I just using the plastic underneath. I will be sticking foam on top.

do a search there are loads on the board, some amazing ones.
Thanks for the kind words.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back