My foam Iron Man costume build.

Re: Another ironman foam build yup sorry another one. WORKING ON FOAM HELMET!..

Thanks I appreciate the offer, You may be hearing from me depending on how the rest of the build goes lol.
Ands thank for all the kind words guys. and also thank you for not pointing out that the helmet at the moment looks like Ironman has lost his teeth!.
Oh and don't worry I covered the tape so it woulnd't stick to me, I don't need anymore of a bold spot forming just yet!!..

Actually, it looks like "Statler and Waldorf from The Muppet Show do Iron Man" :lol.

Dude - you are amazing. Free-handing templates from pictures and a model. I am a graphic artist by trade; I CAN'T DRAW LIKE THAT. Maybe at one time, but ever since the computer came along, my drawing skills have atrophied. Even when I was freehanding, a template like that would take me 4-5 tries.

Looking forward to more progress!

LOL, IronMuppet!.
Thanks for all the kind words. I am thinking of reusing the templates and making my son a helmet, the nice thing about it being made of foam is it can take a bashing.
I have almost finished the helmet now. Only did a little this morning (Yard work took over the afternoon). Here is what I have so far.
Helmet2.jpg

GOing to take a break for the evening (yeah right!), and work on the top of the helmet and the rest of the back tomorrow sometime.

Ok so after some more yard work and laundry I have finaly found a few minutes to do some more. Not a lot, but some. I filled in the cheek area and did a littl more shaping of the back (it wasn't curving and the correct angle). Here is a few update pics. Might find a few minutes tonight to finish the top who knows.
Because I wanted instant stick I have used superglue for the helmet, I normaly use a glue gun, but with all the curved parts I didn't want to have to hold them perfectly for 2-3 minutes while the glue dried.
IMG000006.jpg

IMG000007.jpg

IMG000008.jpg

IMG000009.jpg

Testfit2.jpg

Last edited:

You are the master of foam. I don't know how you shape it so, and the cutting on angles to join them....I just can't get the hang of it. I think if I had started with the mat foam vs the camping foam I may have been better off.

Live and Learn, eh?

Excellent work.

Thanks guys and gals.
Really all I am doing is just holding the knife at an angle wehn cutting, that is how I make the angled edges that allows me to get the different shapes. A metal ruler comes in very handy aswell. As for shaping, hold the foam over the stove for a few seconds then you can bend and curve the foam, run it under a cold tape once you have it in the shape you want and it will hold that shape.
I just finished the top of the helmet last night, as you can see while it is ok it is not perfect, it needs a bit of molding. I may tackle that later after Church or tomorrow.
FoamHelmet2.jpg

Ok so here is the eyes, they are not great but it cost me $10.00 to build and I have good visibility still.
I spent $10 on these to hat light clips, only needed the LEDS but got two small switches and lost of cell batteries aswell.
DSCF3257.jpg

I took apart the lights and seperated the rows of LEDs from everything else.
DSCF3258.jpg

Then using some foam (Go figure) I made a a strip that had holes in it to push the LEDS into. I also made some retangles out of frosted plastic and spray glued some silver foil onto some card and made rectangles of those aswell.
DSCF3269.jpg

Next step was to put it all together.
DSCF3270.jpg

Here's is from the inside.
DSCF3275.jpg

And here is with lights off and then on
DSCF3271.jpg

DSCF3272.jpg

I still have to make a clear lense to go over the front.

DANG! It's so cool. (Side note - got the Cyberman Leader Voice Changer helmet - SOOOOO COOL!)

this is looking great! i am glad you went with the home made helmet! it was getting to bother me as i read your posts hah. nicely done!

Awesome solution on the eyes! I've said it before... I just really enjoy seeing what you have created from 'found' parts for your builds. I enjoy the challenge from doing the same type of thing, but what you've done (on this and other threads) is very inspiring! :thumbsup

Thanks man, I have found the same from your thread, loving you work so far on the hand repulsors, I myself am working on an idea for those now, but it includes being able to dim the repulsor. (hopefully it will work).
As for the home made Helmet, yeah I was always planning on doing it, but just could be bothered as I already had a helmet for now. But I am glad I did it, because it helps bring what I have so far together nicely.

Ok added the last part of the back area to the helmet, and add the ear disks (I have no idea what they are called). Now just the chin to finished.
DSCF3278.jpg

DSCF3279.jpg

DSCF3281.jpg

You might need to go a leeeetle higher on his forehead; he's got a bit of caveman Jay Leno going on there...

To be honest, I feel weird about giving criticism; *I* couldn't do this as good.

I heated things up a bit and tried to reshape. is this better?. Before on the left of the picture and after on the right.
heatedup.jpg

And please don't worry about pointing out what could be better, I preffer that then walking around in something that looks crap! lol.

Two more small updates on the helmet, I make the bolts by using a cap from the superglue. and then I added the first coat of paint.
bolts.jpg

helmetpainted1.jpg

Hey! Yeah, that helps a lot - he's less Neanderthal now :).

I see a bit of ABC Warrior vibe going on; which is good - you're making IM your own :)

abc_warrior_judgedredd.jpg

helmetpainted1.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back