My foam Iron Man costume build.

Re: Another ironman foam build yup sorry another one. ARM UPDATE: 28-5-11

Love the build up.
Wish the trade I've been trying to do with another member for an Ironman suit would have gone through...it would be great for our Children's hospital and charity events we do...

wish I could help you out. I like to build costumes for fun and display them, but the main reason is to wear them and make kids faces light up.

Ok heres a bigger update for everyone.
I have spent a couple of hours a day for the last 3 days working on the amrs. I think I finaly have them at a stage where I am happy with them. I am never completely happy with my work and would redo everything I had the time.
I have tried the arms on and they work really well. Next I will be putting the clip system inside so I can test fit the whole upper body. This evening I hope to work on the neck seal aswell.
Enjoy.
DSCF3123.jpg

DSCF3127.jpg

Arms from all sides.
DSCF3131.jpg

The build so far.
DSCF3135.jpg

DSCF3136.jpg

Re: Another ironman foam build yup sorry another one. Finished arms June 10th 2011

Hey - you and Stealth need to put on your foam suits and do a chorus line!

"Never satisfied" with your work - the mark of a true artist!

Perhaps the only thing I'd do differently with the arms is make the hand shield separate (attach to back of hand armor). That's *not* a criticism, just an opinion.

Re: Another ironman foam build yup sorry another one. Finished arms June 10th 2011

Oh yeah you're right, I always thought the hand shield was attachted to the forearm.
2008_iron_man_035.jpg

But looking at some screen caps it clearly shows the hand shield is not attachted to the forearm.
iron_man_shoot_-_copy.jpg

However it does seem to be attachted more to the knuckle area rather then the normal palm area where most hand type shields are. I say this because In order to use the palm reactors you need to bend your wrist up at a 90 degree and you can not do this having the hand shield fixed to the back of the hand. because the long hand shield would be in the way and would not allowe you to bend your hand up that much. See pic.
handshield-1.jpg

Thank you for pointing that out to me, I really appreciate it.

I've been studying this armor for over a year now (yikes!). The hand (and guard) was detailed in one of the "making of" featurettes (Mark IV & VI suit, but essentially the same)- and also discussed here in another thread (Maulfett's, perhaps?).

What I have discovered is that because there were so many armors used in Iron Man (different cgi models and different hero suits), there's really no "wrong" way to put your suit together, as long as it looks right. And I gotta say, yours is looking damn good!

I still think you and Stealth will need to do a dance number!

LOL, I don't have the moves that Stealth does, I can tap dance, jive and ballroom, thats about it.
And maybe once finished I will show you all, but for now, um,,,, no way! lol.
Thanks for the kind words about my attempt at Ironman.
Below is just me checking out the look of the armor while moving around a bit. NO DANCING!!!..

Last edited:

I would *buy* a video of Iron Man tapdancing! Finish your costume, grab a cane and top hat, crank up "Puttin' on the Ritz" and go to town in front of a camera!

Thanks guys, and I tell you what, if I get this thing finished by the 30th July, (special kids sport effent that weekend here in town and want to wear it there) I will make a video of me tap dancing in the costume with cane and everything. lol.

Just registered to say, this is awesome. I cannot wait to see the whole thing all together. Those floor mats were a great idea. I've always written off the idea of doing Iron Man type armor costumes because I couldn't think of a inexpensive and practical way of doing it with my means but you've opened my eyes now! Guess I'll have to put some potential costume ideas back on the to-do list. Thanks!

Lol you're welcome and thank you for your kind words. I am amazed that you registered just so you could comment on my build, Talk about a compliment. But now you are here stay a while, you will have lots of fun around here. And you need any help, just let me know.

Looks great! Moves great! and I think tap dancing would be fun to see, not sure Mr. Stark would approve ...lol.

Ok so painted the arms over the past few days. First I sprayed on several coats of plasti-dip. Let them dry good and proper. Then today painted the red and gold sections. I think it is looking ok.
I have to make the caps to go over the screws at the hinges. Next step the neck seal, followed by the ab section and then work my way down.
DSCF3156.jpg

DSCF3154.jpg

So cool :) I think I will have to see this movie now....

You mean you have not seen Ironman!, oh man thats it, friendship over lol!!!... Just kidding.
Here's the latest snaps just to see how the whole thing looks so far. I have had to alter the back a little, actualy with all the padding inside I have had to cut the back open. I will fix that next week. I needed to expande the whole chest piece by an inch. I am trying to lose weight because noone wants a fat ironman, I have dropped 7lbs in 2 weeks, but I am a big guy anyway and while dropping the fat I am increasing the muscle so while I still need to expand the suit at least it is for the right reasons.
TestFit.jpg

15june2011.jpg

I knew I shouldn't have told anyone that - lol. Oh well, I'll rent it this weekend. Congrats on the weight loss, that can be a struggle.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back