TrIr0n Man Build - 1st Build (Early Build Stage)

Manix

I've had this idea to build an Iron Man armor based on the Marvel crossover promotion with Tron (this picture) since last November and I'm finally going forward with trying to assemble this myself. I have been looking for someone to commission the armor out of a durable/flexible material like plastic, but have not had such luck within the price I'm willing to currently pay for the outside work. I've gotten a lot of advice to build my armor from pep models, but the look I'm after is not the traditional detailed Mk. 3 through 6 everyone else is doing and that the pep models depict. I believe I'm going to attempt this using the trashcan method similar to chimmera30's great armors, though with as clean a look as possible to better represent a Tron look.

Further differing my build plans from others, I'm going to be focusing primarily on functionality and ease of wearing rather than movie/comic look accuracy. It is also going to have cooling fans and lights. Unlike the image linked above, the colors I'm planning to go with are a black armor akin to the color of the vehicles in Tron Legacy with white power lights (repulsors and reactor) and blue piping lights via EL wire. I'm still debating on an accent color for the armor as the image is somewhat unclear about there even being another color on the armor. But this being a fan rendition it doesn't need to be exact.

Overall, it's going to be fairly ambitious for a first project. I've got an Iron Man 2 toy helmet that I'm going to mod and paint for use with this project. Already have it taken apart to set up a fan or two inside and rewire the lights to stay on with the switch. I'm also retrofitting a Tron Deluxe disc via one of Soulinertia's great Full Retrofit Kits. I can't promise regular updates on this, but it will somehow come to fruition over time. Ideally in time for AX in July and hopefully in time for Halloween and beyond.

Also, I hope that this will not be confused as being related to MasterLe's current work on a similar hybrid. Though seeing the "distaste" for his work through various threads, that probably won't be an issue. Any and all advice is welcome throughout this build.

I would have to say you would probably be better off the PEPing the thing and modifying it when needs arise. It woildnt be very hard at all to just modify when you come to the filler stage. The orange Tr0n lines could be done by just using a dremel

If you're building the entire thing from scratch, I would recommend doing the helmet too. The toy helmet's eyes are too big and the ears stick out too much. Too bug looking in my opinion. If you really want to make this look as cool as the picture you posted, I would ditch the toy helmet.

I figured people would be against the toy helmet. :lol Although I'm starting with it, I may move into a "regular" sized helmet after the the initial build so I have an option of what to wear. Gotta say though that I like having the visibility of the bug eyes opposed to looking through slits.

I should mention that I intend this to be a long-term project without any end goal unless I manage to eventually build a working Iron Man armor made from actual metal that flies and shoots lasers. :love Of course that's the dream end, but basically I'll be updating it over time and maybe over Mk. versions of the suit. This will be Mk.1 Ver.1.

@MykiiAmore: The main issue I have with pepping is that I don't want to work with resins and fiberglass. Without those, the paper wouldn't be strong enough to withstand wear. Also, I'm concerned with flexibility of the pieces and the ability to cut through sections for fan access, etc. Though I had considered the idea initially, I moved away from it since.

i was thinking of doing this same thing, just taking the pep route after getting through with my first suit as practice. can't wait to see how this turns out

Last edited:
Even though you said you're not going for complete accuracy, that image you're basing this on looks a little more like the War Machine armor in that it seems a little bulkier and more angular. So maybe there's some War Machine builds you can check out as a starting point? Just a suggestion. Though if you're looking for it to be easier to wear, I suppose you may want to go less bulky anyway.

I see what you are saying.
Although, personally, I think one of the easiest way to do this would be by personalizing a pep or foam route.

I see what you are saying.
Although, personally, I think one of the easiest way to do this would be by personalizing a pep or foam route.

Small update: Started on the Tron ID disc since I have a guide thanks to Soulinertia's kit. Made all the necessary cuts to my Tron disc and installed bevels and magnets. I accidentally drilled too large a hole for one of the bevels so it got a little ugly there. :confused

To add some customization, I'm gonna try to put LEDs into the bevels while trying to keep the disc to a 2-switch minimum (since I want the bevels to be able to light independent of the inner/outer rings. I'm also gonna try to set both battery holders by the compartment door.

Once I'm finished with the disc I'll move to the helmet. I hope to rewire the existing switch to give constant light to the eyes and power a small fan I'm going to place where the speaker for the SFX is. If I can think of a way to automatize the face mask I'll implement it. I've seen some of the hing setups for "regular" helmets, but it shouldn't need something that complex since it already has it's own hinges on the sides. After that comes the real challenge of starting the entire body of the armor. :confused Honestly, I'm a bit worried since I have no artistic ability creating things from scratch, but I'll do my best.

So, progress has been very slow. So slow in fact, that I had no time for this in a couple of weeks. Finally got a few more hours in the other day and accidentally warped the top half of my Tron Disc and managed to take a couple of unsightly chunks out during the inner C-Ring cutting part. I've had it screwed back together for over a day so that it may retain it's shape when I get back to it tomorrow. I've ordered a few more if I can't salvage the top piece from the Disney store for a nice cheap $9.99.

In other news, I figured I should probably paint my helmet while it's in pieces before modding it, rather than paint over the goodies once installed. Which brings me to ask how to interpret the color scheme for the overall costume. I've been thinking a mildly glossy black to mimic the Tron Legacy vehicles as the main color. Referring to the picture in my first post though, I'm not sure what to do for the secondary color. I can't really tell from the photo if it's two-toned or just "lighting" reflecting off a single colored armor. Any thoughts or ideas as to the color scheme I should go with? Considering that the EL detailing will be blue, it'd probably be fine being all one color, but what do you guys think?

perhaps a semi gloss black all over but with a gun metal grey for the face plate just to break it up a little . either way its gona be an awesome build .

Thanks chim! Yeah, not abandoning this project; gonna see it through to the bitter end. Just gonna be slow and steady. Since my optimum deadline is July, I'll probably be updating more frequently around late May-June to try and cram it to finish. My younger bro might be able to help me with the armor crafting around that time too since he's become a handy theater set craftsman in college.

@ HUFN8R: Not a bad idea for the faceplate. Since I'm going for black, I especially wanna try to avoid it looking too much like a War Machine armor (just for clarity in case I decide to make a cross with him in the future). So I don't want any silver or light grays to two-tone with the black. However, Gun Metal might be enough to avoid misconception.

Last edited:
yeah because gunmetal grey is a lot darker than silvers or most greys. it might look alright just a thought since the pic you have looks a little 2 toned it might be enough to give it a subtle break up in tone.

MOAR PIX! Lol. Would love to see your idenity disc
You're in luck! I just pseudo-finished it today. Again, the top half is messed up so I'll be replacing it once I get in my new disc. I figured I'd show off the blemishes as an example of what not to do to your disc. :lol The LEDs in the bezels are the ones originally included with the disc, arranged in series, connected to the battery for the outer ring and controlled by a 3-position switch. I believe the "projection" LEDs were never on at the same time as the outer "blade" ring so I wired it up to be either/or those. The inner ring is independent of either the other LEDs.

Also, still trying to figure out the overall color scheme. Sure it's my choice what colors I eventually use, but I appreciate the suggestions - it helps me narrow down my decision.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back