Studio Scale and MR on a Budget!

Bryancd

Master Member
I love MR's Y-Wing but just can't see myself dropping the coin for one so I took my crappy Target Y-Wing, the one with the crappy silver paint job and red markings and did a little amatuer repaint. I'm a complete novice compared to the awesome talents on this board but I was very happy with the results. :)

My Low rent studio scale fleet.

[attachmentid=9418]

[attachmentid=9415]

[attachmentid=9416]

[attachmentid=9417]

And my low rent version of the MR Walker.

[attachmentid=9419]

The Walker was that static model made last year for a Star Wars RPG but I can't remember all the specifics. We had a few threads going on them and a few folks were altering the models to look more like MR's. They are roughly the same size, but this one cost about $45.00.

<div class='quotetop'>(Bryancd @ Aug 7 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]1295463[/snapback]</div>
The Walker was that static model made last year for a Star Wars RPG but I can't remember all the specifics. We had a few threads going on them and a few folks were altering the models to look more like MR's. They are roughly the same size, but this one cost about $45.00.
[/b]

this should be in the general modeling forum, looks good, but a bit more weathering, dark wash would bring out details. The MR at-at is several inches bigger, so not in the same league as the one by wizard of the coast.

No, you're right, this isn't really Studio Scale and yes the Walker is smaller, but note my point was what can be accomplished on the cheap :). The Y-wing is actually in person a bit more weathered, it just didn't show up in the photo. I also added some chrome silver details that you can't see. Remember, this was the God awful Target version that had a silver body and red markings. Please also keep in mind, I am an extreme novice at painting and I didn't want to mess it up.
Oh, and I see I have inspired you after seeing your post in the Junkyard. I look forward to seeing your efforts :). Try and get the one that has the gold stripes, it has even more potential.

yes u have, actually didnt know target did ywing too. I actually have done the xwing and tie about 5 months ago, major work on the tie, i will post when I have all three. Still have to get the target snowspeeder too. You cant really go wrong in weathering, you can always swab away with paint thinner. LOL ;)

<div class='quotetop'>(takevin @ Aug 8 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]1296477[/snapback]</div>
yes u have, actually didnt know target did ywing too. I actually have done the xwing and tie about 5 months ago, major work on the tie, i will post when I have all three. Still have to get the target snowspeeder too. You cant really go wrong in weathering, you can always swab away with paint thinner. LOL ;)
[/b]
These toy conversions are really interesting me. :) The creativity in the conversion is astounding. Even if it is just a paint job. :p

I would love to see what you do with the snowspeeder takevin. Plus see all the rest...sweeeeeeet. :D

Sorry to do this to ya again, Bryan, but these aren't SS either, so to General Modeling they go.

I still think it's way cool you're gussying up these birds. :thumbsup

Thanks Jay, and no worries. I do have a general question though. If the CC X-Wing is Studio Scale, and the Force F/X is almost the identical scale, well than it's studio scale as well. But here's the rub, the Hasbro TIE and Target Y-Wing are also in the same scale as the F/X. Just based upon the size of the pilot figures, they are all meant to be in the same scale. Clearly there are problems with the toys which make them far less than perfect replicas of filming miniatures, but aren't they darn close to being in at least the correct scale based on the size of the pilots?
This point of studio scale vs. non has always confused me. :)

I agree it can be a bit confusing. The weird thing is that two models or toys supposedly in the same scale can be so utterly NOT. Also, the toys, being toys, don't really adhere to any consistent scale, but rather "big enough to fit a figure in", the demands of which being different for each vehicle. This would be why, say, the Falcon toy is barely any bigger than the Y.

As you pointed out, since the FX X-Wing is generally agreed to be based on the ICONS which, while a bit shortened/shrunk is considered SS, the FX gets a pass due to geneology. But the TIE and Y toys are so obviously smaller than the SS ones that they don't enjoy the same "priveledge". So in these cases size has as much to do with the decision as scale.

It can be a bit muddy so there's no foul in putting a thread in the "wrong" place at first. :)

Great job Bryan. I love how nice a set of ships you made from those and at a bargain price. Makes me think about dusting off my old Hasbro AT-AT and painting it up some. As far as Studio Scale vs. regular modeling - it's a very fine line. If it was me, I would just have them all lumped into one section on modeling. Keep in mind "Studio Scale" varies greatly depending on the "Studio" and the time frame. In any case, I love seeing threads about good ways to save a dollar and still have some great pieces. :)

Nice job Bryan.. :thumbsup ...can we get a few more detailed pix of your Hasbro TIE?...I wanna do the same thing to mine....

Thanks Kev, here they are. It's the Hasbro TIE with larger wings and the Vader. All I did was paint them light grey, a gloss on the TIE and flat on Vader's. I like the flat finish a little better. I still have some more detail stuff to do...

[attachmentid=9590]

[attachmentid=9591]

[attachmentid=9592]

Nice.....are you going to modify the 3rd laser or any other inaccurate details?

I've just ordered the Code 3 X-1...it'll be interesting to see the size comparison next to my Hasbro TIE....

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back