CP66's Iron Man Mark III Build on a Budget

CyberPaddy66

OK peeps I have a bit of a chaotic start for you all so please bear with me on this one, I started by building the first helmet file I found however...

WIP PICTURES...

S5000002Medium.jpg

That's the first helmet I pepped and I didn't like the contours which will need a lot more filler so I decided to make a different one...

DSCF5045Medium.jpg

DSCF5043Medium.jpg

I much prefer the shape of that helmet and please don't mind about the tape it's just to seal it so I can get on with the next step and strengthen it with PVA which I will try out opn the first helmet I made... I'll let you know how that goes next time!

I decided to continue with that build set and I'll pep up as much as I can before I so anything else so the neck is next...

DSCF5047Medium.jpg

DSCF5049Medium.jpg

DSCF5050Medium.jpg

I even put the left glove together but I still have the right glove to do yet but I've already printed out the Pep files for that one...

DSCF5041Medium.jpg

DSCF5052Medium.jpg

DSCF5055Medium.jpg

PEPKURA FILES...

Well that's all the Pep's I've built for now but I did notice the Pep set I'm using is missing some very important files so I had to have a go at unfolding them myself using Dancing Fools Pep files as a basis, could anyone who has used the designer before PLEASE let me know how well my unfolds have turned out?

IronMan_Spine by Dancing Fool Unfolded by CP66.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
IronMan_SideAbs Flipped by Dancing Fool Unfolded by CP66.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
IronMan_SideAbs by Dancing Fool Unfolded by CP66.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
IronMan_Front Abs by Dancing Fool Unfolded by CP66.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

I really hope I did the Side Abs right but until I build them I'm not going to know for sure if I flipped the 2nd side correctly :p

I should point out I'm not sure of the scaling of those Pep files as I had to guess where they would fit on my 6'1" frame so you will probably have to re-scale them to fit, if anyone knows what size they should be I can re-do them and post the new links :D

Watched a few Pepakura Designer tutorials and most of them are very low audio or incoherant babbling :wacko however I get the gist of the program and I set the 'final size' to what I thought it should be based on where I thought the parts should fit on my body but until I build the real models I can't be sure :$

For instance I used 150mm for the for the front and side Abs and 300mm for the spine as it goes some way up the back (total guess here!!!) so if I've done it the wrong size I'd be happy to re-do them with the sizes you tell me I need for a 6 foot frame.

A lot of scaling is about trial and error.
Nobody can tell you the perfect scale. You have to do that yourself
Was telling someone before that although you are 6ft you will almost definitely have a different waist size and shoulder width to me.

Good point, Although I'm broader in the belly than I would like I am broader in the shoulders than most people of my weight because of the fighting I used to do.

Hey guys, just browsing the forums around here on the Iron Man builds. Thought I'd mention something that's pretty helpful for measuring and scaling your pep files.
One of the guys over at 405th created a program that takes measurements off a reference shot, all you do is type in your height, follow the prompts, make a few clicks and it measures for you. easy as to use and has been pretty darn accurate for me so far and saves doing it all on paper >.<
program can be found here:

Pepakura Measuring and Scaling Tool by MrOreo123 v1.exe - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

a reference shot would be a front on photo of whatever your are wanting to recreate from head to toe, you can measure individual peices (helmet, torso, biceps etc etc)

i do recommend measuring every peice you are wanting to make at least 6 times and using the average size. To get the average, add all 6 measurements together and divide by 6 or however many measurements you took.

Hope this helps and all the best with your project =)

If you get stuck or need more help using the program or measuring feel free to ask =) it's easy as to use though =)

OK, just a quick update as I've only pepped a few bits since the last time namely a single elbow, a pair of upper forearms and a pair of biceps...

DSCF5057Medium.jpg

Also I thought you might like to see some more pics of my medieval armour (warning it's rusty as hell)...

DSCF5059Medium.jpg

DSCF5060Medium.jpg

I'm hopeing some of what I know about the joints of my metal armour will help me with the joints on the IM costume, at the very least it should give me something to work on while I save the money for the interior foam filler and car body filler.

Update time again peeps :D

I've now got the completed peps of the Helmet, Neck, Shoulder, both Biceps, Elbow, Hands (both) with two sets of fingers (worked out after making them I only needed one set DOH!).

Here's the finished shoulder build...

DSCF5079Medium.jpg

DSCF5078Medium.jpg

DSCF5082Medium.jpg

I've also made up the front abs (not pictured) from the PDO's I unfolded but there's a slim chance it might only fit a child and I won't know for sure until I've done both the sides as well as the crotch sections and chest :( and all of this dispite running out of work space...

DSCF5083Medium.jpg

DSCF5084Medium.jpg

You can't see it but to the left of the screen is where I have my left hand plates and elbow peps stored, I'm so in need of a full size mannequin so might have to put the build on hold until I get one made up, does anyone have a preferred method for full body casting without any casting materials or gaffa/duct tape?

Last edited:
Hey buddy I know you said no duct tape, but I have made a pretty accurate body mannequin for less than 15 buck with duct tape. I made a slight wooden skeleton,very basic,like spine,width of shoulders arms and legs then added old news paper over the wood till it had roughly my shape then taped over the whole thing! finishing off with an old tee shirt and old jeans,works like a charm!

I'm currently saving up for filler and resin so I didn't want to spend any money on duct tape but I have to say I saw a nice tutorial on the net somewhere (forget now) of taping yourself into an old tee-shirt and leggins then cutting and resealing them (without you inside) then stuffing them with old newspapers to make a body sculpture, I'm just a tight sod when it comes to buying stuff :lol I think my local hardware store has the big reels of duct tape at a reasonable price so I might just have to bite the bullet and get some.

No pictures for my update as I'm struggling to get the rechargable batteries to last long enough to take any (*grrr*) but I thought I'd let you know anyway what's happened. Pepped up the Dung0Beetle universal Forearm but due to a scaling issue as in I didn't change the scale I ended up with a forearm twice the size I needed so after re-scaling it properly for the first time since I started this build I've now finished pepping the whole arm from finger tips to neck.

Completed Peps so far...
Sharkhead's Helmet
Dancing Fool's MK III Neck
Dancing Fool's MK III Shoulders
Dancing Fool's MK III Bicep
Dancing Fool's MK III Elbow
Dung0Beetle's MK III Upper Forearm
Dung0Beetle's MK III Forearm Weapon Pod
Dung0Beetle's MK III Wrist Plate
MK IV Hand and Fingers of Unknown Origin but probably either Robo or Dancing Fool

Also done but the wrong size so have to re-size and do again...
Dancing Fool's Front Abs

Well that's it so far and I haven't strengthened or filled a single piece yet but I did find that undiluted PVA is great for sticking the Peps together as you have enough time to get it accurate and you can't get your fingers stuck together :lol

looking pretty good so far ... you are using a yellow cardstock huh ... I have not seen any of that around my area ... I think I am gonna go with the duct tape mannequin method myself and will be stopping at walmart to price the rolls of duct tape tonight ... its hard to go through this build without spending some money ... I just wish I had more time to spend on it

I got loads of time it's money that I'm lacking and the cardstock is just what I have handy, I've run out of the yellow now so it's onto the orange and then the red ;)

lol thats awesome that you have several colors of cardstock I would have used them to coordinate sides of the armor or something. i wanna see more

Working on getting the batteries sorted so I can take pictures, if I charge them up fully overnight and try to take pictures in the morning (if I wake up :lol:) then I get about 6 pictures done before the camera dies again... time to buy new batteries and I don't have the spare cash for them :(

that does suck, guess we will have to look forward to a couple pics at a time .. good thing a picture says a thousand words ... lol

Made a start on the chest tonight and I found more of the yellow card in the filing cabinet :D tomorrow I should have finished the chest and then I;m going to start on the back.

Still no pics I'm afraid but I did finish the Chest and Back tonight, now to find out if I re-scaled those Abs files correctly from the child like ones I first did to 300mm... made a right mess of my tidy unfolding it did too ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back