Another Jabba's guards' blaster (DL-18) build

kurtyboy

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thought I'd better not hijack Lichtbringer's fine build thread any more and start my own. It's been a while since I started a WIP thread anyway...

I've had most of the parts collected for about five years now but inspired by the Michael's work I deceided to finally dust them off and put them to use.

I'm using as many found parts as possible, some of which were kindly given to me by Loepigeon who also had the rear washer machined. The F4-E model kit parts were one of my discoveries.

Here's where I was at last night after I got started on the side plates.:
jabba5.jpg
jabba2.jpg

jabba3.jpg
jabba4.jpg

And here it is with the side plates (one side only) finished. The 3mm plate was an absolute nightmare to cut and shape by hand using a drill, hacksaw and files/sandpaper. I can't believe I still have to do another one for the other side. :cry

jabba6.jpg
jabba7.jpg

I tapered off the back of the 'fins' on the pen cap and I'll also do the same to the front ends to make it look more accurate.
jabba8.jpg
jabba9.jpg

I'm doing this version. I think the photo comes from Celebration 2. Thanks to the original poster.

jabba11.jpg

Yeah, sometimes we all need a little kick in the butt, to go on with our stuff. :cool

Looks good, i´m sure you get the other side finished soon - it´s worth the work. :)

I´m not sure what kind of screws/rivets you used to mount the sideplates?

I just used plain nails. They really should be couner sunk though.

Yeah, sometimes we all need a little kick in the butt, to go on with our stuff. :cool

Looks good, i´m sure you get the other side finished soon - it´s worth the work. :)

I´m not sure what kind of screws/rivets you used to mount the sideplates?

Good work, Marcus, it´s coming together nicely - maybe not as "perfect" as a lasercut set, but with your own work. Isn´t it much more satisfying doing such work by yourself than buying them? :)

Lovely work, the pen cap looks great! I had no idea the top plates were thicker than the lower ones. I see you've put an edge on that top "fin" section. Is that the only place with an angle?

Yes, that fin is the only place where the plate is thinner. The plate on the other side is idenitcal, i.e. the fins are not symetrical, the both slant in the same direction.

From that I would say the plates are obviously found parts. Someone suggested part of the firing mechanism from a large machine gun at one point. The hammer perhaps?

Lovely work, the pen cap looks great! I had no idea the top plates were thicker than the lower ones. I see you've put an edge on that top "fin" section. Is that the only place with an angle?

1mm. It's all I had to hand. Looks about right. The good thing about it is that you can cut most of the plate out with plain scissors!

Finished the 2nd 3mm plate now. I think it took about 6 hours each. :unsure

What thickness did you use for the lower sideplate(s)?

Markus

Yes, that fin is the only place where the plate is thinner. The plate on the other side is idenitcal, i.e. the fins are not symetrical, the both slant in the same direction.

Ah, that's a hot tip, thanks, I would have done it symetrically if I hadn't known.

A hammer from a heavy gun makes sense, needle in a haystack I guess....

Could both blasters (exhibition and Visual dictionary) have been made the same originally? i.e. either both with the plates overlapping at the front, or both with the lower plate separate from the top one at the front? Would they have constructed both differently?

Or did the plate fall off or get moved on one of them at some point?

I'll check ROTJ to see what it looked like on screen.

Another great build on this blaster , would imagine they could have suffered damage in filming and were repaired as is the usual ! Might explain the slight differences.

Yes, that's what I'm guessing. But which was first?

Finished those side plates now and attached the washer to the back. Really just need the scope/mount now, and have to buy yet another V8 kit to get the motor coil. :rolleyes

jabba17.jpg
jabba16.jpg

jabba18.jpg

Another great build on this blaster , would imagine they could have suffered damage in filming and were repaired as is the usual ! Might explain the slight differences.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back