The Walking Dead Sheriff's Hat

Interesting. Would they be willing to make more for us?

How did you 'convince' them?

I'm not certain. They are not the best at communication over the phone or through email... to finally get everything done that I wanted I had to drive out there and kill a day talking to them in person. They seemed tentatively willing to produce more, but that was 5 or 6 months ago... I have no idea if their opinion would have changed in the interim or if there's some magical breaking point at which they would balk at such a large order of badges (i.e. 4 or 5 are OK, but 20 is too many). The easiest thing, actually, would be for me to just place a bulk order online and see what happens. Because I am in their system, it's at least partially likely to go through. But at ~$100 per badge, I don't want to be on the hook for that much of an expense.

The tale of my convincing them is listed out in my WD build thread (http://www.therpf.com/f24/walking-dead-sheriff-uniform-106373/) but basically, I just went with some screen caps and told them what I was trying to accomplish. I was dressed professionally, presented myself articulately, and was overall deemed trustworthy so they were willing to make the sale to me. I sure fooled them! :lol:lol

I asked the designer for you, & she said that she gets the chocolate Stetsons from Horsetown/Atl. and they'll know which ones if you call them and tell them it's a TWD hat. (I'm sure you could get it anywhere that carries Stetson tho..)

I spoke to cast (and some of their parents) at Dragon*Con last week. Andrew Lincolns Stetson came with two holes to mount the badge on.

Quartermaster has the campaign cords for $6.99. I talked to them today and they are putting together the shirt and pants for me and the stripe on the leg of the pants for $3.99.

this is my hat , i think it turned out pretty damn good!
i know the badge is not accurate but its my shirt badge im actually waiting on my hat badge to be finished as i speak

2011-10-15150612.jpg

2011-10-15150640.jpg

looks good to me. Badge looks identical to mine too. As you say, not 100% accuarate but looks the part. (7 sided sheriffs star with the wording and the Georgia seal in the middle.)

I thought someone here might like this...
'Carl Grimes' wearing my Stetson. :)

Photo taken at this years Dragon*Con.

I've got a picture of a hand grenade sitting in THE window sill of the 'CDC' somewheres around here, too.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

I've been following this thread very closely as I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead and the costume and hope to contribute more here in the next coming weeks once and "if" (and that's a big IF) I can ever get some of my other projects completed.

I was reading early in the thread that the hat had two holes put into it for the Sheriff's badge to be put on the hat. This would then make the sheriff's badge one with a pin back, correct? I know there are two different types of badges - pin backs and ones with a single screw on the back that you can push through a hole and then tighten by a nut-type washer.

Anyways, I don't know if this was a nuance detail that many caught but in Season 2 Carl gets promoted to "Sheriff" with his dad's hat. Later episodes show Carl wearing the hat minus the badge (remember, Rick "gave up" that part of his life with the symbolic drawering of the badges and uniform in Hershel's house). What's interesting is that THAT hat that Carl now wears not only seems a different color but also has only ONE HOLE in the front.

Here's a picture of it (hopefully if it uploads):

carl-with-gun.png

So my questions are thus far:

1) Did the hat from Season One have one hole or two in the front for the badge?

2) If this IS the hat from Season one (to me it doesn't look like it), then that would mean the badge is a screw on type of badge, correct? Therefore, the pin-backs currently offered wouldn't be accurate in that regard.

Like most of you, I'm trying to do research in figuring out what's the absolute MOST ACCURATE pieces for my costume as my hopes are to display it and I'm a die-hard when it comes to getting every nuance right.

Thanks everyone and I look forward to chatting and contributing to THE WALKING DEAD costume.

I asked the designer for you, & she said that she gets the chocolate Stetsons from Horsetown/Atl. and they'll know which ones if you call them and tell them it's a TWD hat. (I'm sure you could get it anywhere that carries Stetson tho..)

Jayn,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your willingness to let folks know about the source of the hat! I, for one, greatly appreciate it. Whenever possible, it's nice to get the items from the original sources themselves - adds a certain mystique to the item.

After doing a quick bit of research, I was actually able to get ahold of the SAME place that sold the hats to the production (and for that matter, talk to the guys themselves) and they have confirmed the following:

It's a Stetson Roper hat. Chocolate Brown. Current price: $190

Just thought this would be of interest to folks and a way of "paying it forward" for what Jayn did already by giving the source.

2) If this IS the hat from Season one (to me it doesn't look like it), then that would mean the badge is a screw on type of badge, correct? Therefore, the pin-backs currently offered wouldn't be accurate in that regard.

Hat badges always have the screw-on attachment. Every one I've ever seen had two; this prevents the badge from spinning and winding up wrong-side up.

Hat badges always have the screw-on attachment. Every one I've ever seen had two; this prevents the badge from spinning and winding up wrong-side up.

Thanks Akin for that input. I don't know much about badges but thought that perhaps the hat badges might have the screw-on attachment.

Any thought (by anyone) regarding the Season Two hat which only seems to show one hole?

Just trying to see if there's a definitive answer as to whether the true hat had one hole or two based upon this new hat showing up in the series with only one which kind of seems odd and inconsistent.

Thanks again.

The current badge that I wear on my hat was made by badge maker Blackinton, which is one of the major makers out there. It has a screw & clutch backing, which means it has one screw-on post and a separate pin (similar to a thumbtack, though thinner) a bit above the screw post. I *think* all screw & clutch backings are the same among all badge makers, though I'm far from an expert in this field. It makes sense that there is only 1 hole in this case; the screw post would fit through the hole and the pin would stick through the hat material to keep it from rotating.

Our hat badges out here have two screw-on things probably because they're completely different than the shirt badges and are much wider and have an eagle on the top... different agencies will be different, of course.

Of course we wear the lame "caps" as opposed to normal hats out here on he west coast... well, I only wear the damn thing during class A occasions, I normally use an unauthorized baseball cap when it's raining until someone tells me to take it off...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back