The Walking Dead Sheriff's Hat

Tk-Devo

I've been searching for some time now and have had no luck finding an accurate Sheriff's hat like the one worn by the main character. To me it looks similar to the civil war officer's style hat.

Anyone have any info?

Last edited:
I've been trying for the longest time to find the correct Sheriff's hat that he used. At one point I saw the Alboum Hat Co. mentioned but I have my doubts on that hat. Though, the gold campaign cords look to be a good match. Just for reference, here's what we're looking for.

I've found is this one. It looks about right but something seems off. It looks like this one doesn't taper like the one rick has. Dunno if it's just me or not. thoughts?

http://store.killerhats.com/sf04752240skyl-r.html

This one also looks promising and is also a fraction of what the first one cost.
http://store.killerhats.com/0550ch.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the info so far! Lets keep it going!

I contacted Baron Hats and am waiting for a quote back. Still no luck finding if its a store bought hat or custom.

Well, THESE guys had a whole different hat.
http://www.screencaps.org/SciFi/The-Walking-Dead/Season-1/Episode-1/The-Walking-Dead-S1-E1-053.jpg

I guess only Rick gets to wear the really nice cowboy hat.

You might wanna buy one of these to steal the cord off of, though.
Trooper Style Uniform Hat, OD Green 7-3/4

EDIT to add:
Is it a Rough Rider in Chocolate?
http://www.thelastbestwest.com/old_west_cowboy_hats.htm
The way that Major is wearing his looks right to me.
You'd just need the cord on it.

Also;
This
http://www.cowboyhatstore.com/stetson_cavalry/cavalryhats.htm

Last edited:
I have a buddy who worked on the crew for this......he snagged me some bullet casings from set - whoop whoop - I can ask if he knows what hat was used, or could maybe ask a colleague from wardrobe.

Any more thoughts on the Rick hat? It could just be a standard 'cowboy' hat but with a high crown and straight front to back dent in the top:

200664_10150109953036516_633241515_6519863_7652914_n.jpg

I agree with you on the Crown, but the brim on rick's hat is pretty big. I'm not sure but I don't think it has the stitching either.

Here's a side view of his hat, no vents that I can see.
rick-grimes-pic_556x390.jpg

I'm diggin what I see on this hat.
yhst-2127998513399_2149_108114464

Just have to snag the right campaign cords.
I found these and thought they looked right, especially with the thick bands that rick has on his hat.
CordGold.png

Hopefully fishybob's buddy can come through and tell us more about the hat. Hell, with our luck it was a custom job. lol

The one from Sheplers does look very good, but ouch on the price. Was the hat band easy enough to remove on that one?

I went for a Cattleman style that I got on ebay for around $30, similar to this one, which Somerset Fox linked to earlier.

The gold band was simple to remove, the brass eyelets a little less so. Still, after just a little gripping with a pair of end nippers they came right out. Here's what mine looks like with the badge and proper gold cording attached:
254969_1856595892746_1176305152_31710687_1618041_n.jpg

The gold cord was another ebay find, though I'm pretty sure the guy I got it from is now out of stock.

The one from Sheplers does look very good, but ouch on the price. Was the hat band easy enough to remove on that one?

Yup, slipped right off the top.

The gold cord was another ebay find, though I'm pretty sure the guy I got it from is now out of stock.

I got my acorn off of Amazon, btw. Slip one end off, snip it down to the right size, and then slip the end back on and it's perfect!

Skruffy, where did you get your badges? That's all I still need.

My badges are actual Blackington police badges, custom ordered by a local law enforcement supplier. Convincing them to make them for me and that I wasn't going to impersonate a police officer was quite the ordeal... but they are the real thing (meaning a real badge, made by a real badge maker) and they look terrific. I just wish the better-resolution images of the center seal had come out before I got mine made. Mine have the Georgia state seal, which is incorrect.

My badges are actual Blackington police badges, custom ordered by a local law enforcement supplier. Convincing them to make them for me and that I wasn't going to impersonate a police officer was quite the ordeal... but they are the real thing (meaning a real badge, made by a real badge maker) and they look terrific. I just wish the better-resolution images of the center seal had come out before I got mine made. Mine have the Georgia state seal, which is incorrect.

Interesting. Would they be willing to make more for us?

How did you 'convince' them?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back