Tron 3 (Tron Legacy Sequel)

The Ford Pinto would look great next to horse drawn buggy in the 1800's, but that does not make it great.

The films you quoted had various flaws that were for many terrible. That is why they did so terrible and ARE unworthy.
You're entirely missing the point...

the worldwide box office grosses for these films were...

Ang Lee's Hulk: $245,284,946

Bryan Singer's Superman Returns: $391,081,192

The Golden Compass: $372,234,864

And that's mainly box office take, and may not even be counting DVD and Blu-Ray sales.

Bottom line, all of these films got people's butts into theaters. They made A LOT of money... unless you don't consider a quarter of a BILLION or more a lot of money! :rolleyes

In the case of The Golden Compass, the producers passed on filming the second and third books because only about $70 million of its take came from the US, where it was filmed. $300 million came from overseas markets. But anyone that's familiar with the books and their history would have KNOWN that would be the case! The books are MUCH more popular, and much more widely read, in the more open-minded cultures of Europe than they are in the overly-conservative US. But the film still made nearly $400 million. The sequels SHOULD have been filmed. There's no excuse for it. :angry:thumbsdown

As for Hulk and Superman Returns, they both have their fans... including yours truly. :p

And again, the point was that as recently as the 1990s, a film that made a quarter of a billion dollars OR MORE was hailed as the BLOCKBUSTER FINANCIAL SUCCESS that it actually WAS. It's only in the last decade that Hollywood has become insane enough to declare a film that makes $400 million a failure... and that's probably because they blew too much money partying with Charlie Sheen, banging 7 gram rocks and finishing them! :rolleyes

In the case of The Golden Compass, the producers passed on filming the second and third books because only about $70 million of its take came from the US, where it was filmed. $300 million came from overseas markets. But anyone that's familiar with the books and their history would have KNOWN that would be the case! The books are MUCH more popular, and much more widely read, in the more open-minded cultures of Europe than they are in the overly-conservative US. But the film still made nearly $400 million. The sequels SHOULD have been filmed. There's no excuse for it. :angry:thumbsdown

I loved The Golden Compass. Armored polar bears! James Bond with a beard! Sam Elliot! I don't see the flaw.

It all comes from mythology and legend. The father/son thing can be seen in a lot of stuff. Star Wars, the Bible, all sorts of stories. Given that both Returns and Legacy sort of tied into religion, it was a given there would be a father/son element.

Mythology and Legends are sexist than.

Well yeah. I mean, we're not known as the race of man, mankind, etc. for nothing.

Most Western society is patriarchal.

Me, I'm glad they went with the father/son story because what Hollywood would have done with father/daughter would be Tomb Raider combined with Twilight in a computer. And the movie would have been terrible. Doesn't mean it couldn't be done right, but we both know it wouldn't.

"Coldly calculated to appeal to your screaming teenage demographic."

I loved The Golden Compass. Armored polar bears! James Bond with a beard! Sam Elliot! I don't see the flaw.
The flaw is that it turned the Roman Catholic Church... oops, sorry, I mean "The Magisterium"... into the story's villains. And uptight, ultra-conservative types in the US refuse to read the books or watch the movie for that reason... even though the story beats you over the head with the fact that it takes place on an ALTERNATE EARTH that's radically different from our own. :rolleyes

And then there's the whole issue of who and what God... oops, I mean, "The Authority"... turns out to be when you get to the last book. The right wing types don't like that bit at all. ;)

And now, to return to this thread's actual topic... I just watched Tron Legacy on DVD last night. Still just as good as when I saw it in the theater! :) :thumbsup

But I have to admit, Disney really annoyed me with changing the aspect ratios from one scene to another! Just pick an aspect ratio and stick with it! Don't give me some BS about preserving the aspect ratio of "Imax scenes", just stick with one aspect ratio throughout, you know, like the Director generally does! :rolleyes

The flaw is that it turned the Roman Catholic Church... oops, sorry, I mean "The Magisterium"... into the story's villains.

Yeah, I know; I was just trying to not have the thread locked... and, as you note, it's an alternate universe, so where's the flaw? Chris Pine plays Captain Kirk now, and the Earth continues to revolve.

Me, I'm glad they went with the father/son story because what Hollywood would have done with father/daughter would be Tomb Raider combined with Twilight in a computer. And the movie would have been terrible. Doesn't mean it couldn't be done right, but we both know it wouldn't.

I dont' know. Hannah seemed to do alright with the father/daughter dynamic while still being an action/suspense movie that didn't appeal to the teenage demographic. Extra points should also be rewarded for trumping "Your Highness" by two spots in their combined opening week.

And no matter what kind of examples you'll use to emphasize your point, I still won't believe that just because a main character doesn't have a dick means it won't work. You may believe that having a female character in the lead to such a film wouldn't work, but I don't believe that. That's just bad faith that doesn't do any good.

Btw, my TRON Legacy on the Wii has a female character who's at the top of her game in the grid. Can your XboX or PS3 version say the same?

:cool

man that trailer rocked. cant wait for teh bluerays now of the first two films. many thanks for teh download of teh teasers

Just because a film made a lot of money doesn't make it good or worthy of being a continued franchise. Heartily in agreement with that sentiment.

Simple formula: When a movie draws people to see it multiple times and actively encourage others to see it using social media & personal communication, it has more appeal than a movie people see once then tell others not to bother. Production houses pay attention to that sort of response.

But to make an entire franchise built on being vindictive against something that lots of people feel passionately about, and then complain that it doesn't get enough criticism or response? And then blame the failure to thrive on the lack of a decent response to the controversial nature? That's just weird. (regarding the creator of His Dark Materials series).

It's like if I went out and wrote a series about puppies. Only these puppies were in an alternate universe, where they weren't cute and benign, but pure evil incarnate. And of course, the good guys are everyone who loves cats. And they all set out to destroy the puppies.

Then I go complain that the series didn't get enough criticism from puppy lovers, and say because of the lack of controversy, that my entire series didn't get made into an epic film series. That's basically what happened with The Golden Compass.

Perspective. Weird & creative & intentionally controversial & subversive does not necessarily equal high quality, even with Nicole Kidman thrown in.

But back to Tron. Looking forward to the next installment!

You'll find that you could say the same about most of human history up till a few decades ago.

Maybe they'll give Quorra a bigger role in the next on. Although she did spend most of it keeping Sam alive.

You'll find that you could say the same about most of human history up till a few decades ago.

Not just history. There are a lot of things that I can go over that would lock this thread up and my entire account so I better not go there.

I'm still in the dark on why Yori was left out completely. Tron had a thing for her so why wouldn't Flynn bring her into the Grid with Tron? I would have used that as an alternative to how Tron got two identity discs. It would be like having the sequel to Harry Potter without Hermione.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about using bits as fireworks. Poor little guys. How would fans of Clash of the Titans feel if I turned Bobo into a useless toy found in a chest?

Last edited:
Not just history. There are a lot of things that I can go over that would lock this thread up and my entire account so I better not go there.

I'm still in the dark on why Yori was left out completely. Tron had a thing for her so why wouldn't Flynn bring her into the Grid with Tron? I would have used that as an alternative to how Tron got two identity discs. It would be like having the sequel to Harry Potter without Hermione.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about using bits as fireworks. Poor little guys. How would fans of Clash of the Titans feel if I turned Bobo into a useless toy found in a chest?

I think the reason they left Yori out was because Tron was supposed to be dead and she would have added really nothing but an easter egg for fans. Given how fast paced the movie was, it would have changed it. Lora does show up in the ARG material, she and Alan are married and she joined him on stage during one of the events.

I think the reason they left Yori out was because Tron was supposed to be dead and she would have added really nothing but an easter egg for fans. Given how fast paced the movie was, it would have changed it. Lora does show up in the ARG material, she and Alan are married and she joined him on stage during one of the events.

If you really wanted to explain why Yori didn't show up in Part 2, it's really simple: Kevin Flynn told Lora the truth about why it happened during the hack to shutdown the MCP. As a result, and fearing risking someone being killed, she downloaded Lora to a floppy disk (so that no one could use the system) and asked Flynn to discontinue any digitization experiments. As a result, he agreed to do so, but actually moved the laser to his hideout and managed to write a program of his own that allowed him to digitize himself.

It would account as to why Lora and Alan never thought of the idea that Flynn may have been trapped in a computer system somewhere (as digitization was no longer being practiced at Encom and they didn't know about Flynn's personal server).

And a great way to re-introduce Yori into Part 3 is to have Sam reopen the digitization lab, getting Lora to help out by showing her the information on the chip (maybe even have her help in getting Kevin Flynn back together and back into the real world). So, she dusts off the floppy disk with Yori on it, reinstalls her and upgrades her to work on new computer systems. Honestly, they could make Yori become a Ma3a-like program (basically like in TRON 2.0, she can be the primary tool in re-creating the correction algorithms for the digitizing process) and, with the update, could make her look much like her user now (which would be an interesting dynamic, seeing how TRON reacts to Yori after now having seen her for so many years, especially looking like her User now).

Frankly, I would prefer seeing Yori and Ma3a (basically, having two versions of Cindy in it, one where she looks like she did from the first film and one where she looks like herself now), as well as Lora.

What is this "ARG material" to which you refer? :confused

I think it's Flynn Lives he's talking about, the ARG that this post is somewhat about.
Well, I've watched "The Next Day" and I don't remember her being mentioned in there. The rest of the Flynn Lives material, I haven't seen. :unsure

But what the heck does "ARG" even MEAN? I wish people would stop assuming that others know what their abbreviations mean.

Well, I've watched "The Next Day" and I don't remember her being mentioned in there. The rest of the Flynn Lives material, I haven't seen. :unsure

But what the heck does "ARG" even MEAN? I wish people would stop assuming that others know what their abbreviations mean.

ARG equals Alternate Reality Game

Flynn Lives ran for 2 and a half years before tron Legacy even came out

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back