Serenity stickers - Firefly Ship Works, Ltd.

Patattack

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I remember there used to be a thread around here where people were making the various warning stickers seen around Serenity, but I'll be danged if I can find it. Anyway.

Look at this pretty thing that the Prop Store has put up.

serenity-stcikerpage1.jpg

I was just wondering if there were any people 'round here who have the proper computer imagery skills to try and re-create it. Anyone want to take a shot? I won't lie, I couldn't handle it. I'm no good at that kind of thing. :rolleyes

The problem with this project is the resolution of the photograph is not high enough to read what most of the text reads. I can fake most of it, but I would rather get it correct to start with. If someone has a better photo I can do it.

<div class='quotetop'>(Great_Bizarro @ Aug 6 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]1294889[/snapback]</div>
The problem with this project is the resolution of the photograph is not high enough to read what most of the text reads. I can fake most of it, but I would rather get it correct to start with. If someone has a better photo I can do it.
[/b]

You make a good point, but if I recall correctly, much of the text on the other remastered stickers was...hypothesized. I suppose the more accurate, the better, though. Some of this stuff, I can't even tell if it's Chinese or English.

I see they used the serial number of the Saratoga from Space: Above and Beyond in there. :)

Anyone else spot any more in-jokes/references?

Looks like it could say "SHIPS" (EDIT: Opps, check that, after seeing the blown up version there's no way it says SHIPS). Also I don't think there'd be a ",." between COACHWORKS and LTD.

Someone could always buy the sheet from Propstore and scan it. ;)

Oh, and I'd also point out that to me it looks like "ID #" is wrong, I'd guess that it is "No" with the "o" superscript. The number itself should be "03-K64-FF" and looks to be Helvetica or Arial.

The missing text is tough.

Based on the format of the other plates, it should be the planet location of the Firefly Coachworks. According to the three rectangular stickers, Firefly Ship Works is located on Hera. BUT, the missing letters on the oval sticker definitely do not spell out Hera (to me, it looks like a six letter word, ending in 'ATE', but I could be wrong). Sadly, they also don't seem to match any of the planets listed in the Firefly Wikipedia either, so I'm stuck.

Great_Bizarro you are definitely getting close. I quickly did some mods to yours, adjusted the "Firefly" to more closely match, I don't know if I have that font so I just cut and pasted the letters from yours. I also made changes to the font used for "ENGINEERED BY" and such...it's not a perfect match but it's the closest I could find in my fonts. I think the "-"s in the number should be bullets too, I used Arial for the number and re-sized the bullet to match the label and superscripted the "O" in "No"

I agree with darkknight, the last 3 letters look like "ATE" the first could be an "N", second may be an "A".

firefly-ship-works-label-1.jpg

Edit: Added this overlay. I inverted the original and set mine to 50%
firefly-ship-works-label-1a.jpg

Brush455 BT is the "Firefly" font, what did you change the "Engineered By" font to, it does look closer. Now what the heck is the --ATE ?? PLATE. CRATE ? Possibly the name of a city where the manufacturer is located.

MAKERSPLATE1_1.jpg

MAKERSPLATE2.jpg

Ok here is another, let me know what to changer. Cooperplate Gothic Bold for most of it.

The font I used was ITC Stone Sans. If anyone finds a better match then cerainly post if here. ;)

Yeah that __ATE part is a puzzler. It almost looks like it could be _MATE.

<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Aug 7 2006, 02:18 PM) [snapback]1295621[/snapback]</div>
That says Osiris? Well I would never have guessed. LOL
[/b]
Heh, the first thing I thought of was 'Osiris'. It appeared to be 6 letters, & if you look, the 'O' in the word "WORKS", looks like a mirror image of the 'O' in what turns out to be "Osiris".

MAKERSPLATEorig.jpg

I've been busy manipulating the photo to try & confirm my suspicions. Guess I'll stop now. :p

<div class='quotetop'>(philippes @ Aug 7 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]1295616[/snapback]</div>
The word you're trying to make out is "Osiris." I know this with 100% certainty.

Phil
[/b]

I guess if I drink two shots of tequila, squint at it hard enough with my left eye while keeping my right eye closed and stand on my tip-toes, it could look like Osiris. Damn them for using watermarks to obscure information.

Thanks Phil.

<div class='quotetop'>(dr_slurpee @ Aug 7 2006, 03:07 PM) [snapback]1295654[/snapback]</div>
One of the others, missing some of the text though.
firefly-ship-works-label-2.jpg

[/b]
"NO LOAD MAX"? :confused

MAKERSPLATE_3_1.jpg

I should have thought to ask Phil to start with. Ok see how this looks. I can print these on a brushed chrome mylar that has an adhesive back for any wanting some.

<div class='quotetop'>(Sith Sheriff Brody @ Aug 7 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]1295713[/snapback]</div>
I'm guessing that's "No Load More" and "RPM" on the side.[/b]
I guess it could be "more", but I was going by comparisons with shapes & spacings of other letters. It doesn't look like 4 letters will fit in that space:

*shrugs*

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back