2001 Space Odyssey "Discovery 1" model (HELP!)

IndyFanChuck

Sr Member
2001_discovery2jpg.gif

I'm streaming 2001: A Space Odyssey on netflix. God, I loved this movie when I was young. The model work looked so REAL. I used to rewind the VHS over and over and over again just to watch the model work.

One thing I have never owned is a model of the Discovery One spaceship. I would VERY much like to own one. I would need something smaller, in the realm of a normal model size. (nothing huge)

Can I get a little advice here from the knowledgable members of the board on this model, please!??

What companies make a good Discovery model? Which one should I buy? If I wanted to get a member to put it together, with lights and a superb paintjob, who should I talk to? Is there a company that USED to make the model but have quit, but that I should look for? Help me here. :lol

This is one of my ALL TIME favorite models, next to the USS Cygnus. HELP me here with some Discovery advice please.

Thanks friends!

---Chuck

dis1_jp.jpg

There's a kit here,

Comet Miniatures

It's uk though, so I dunno what that would cost in shipping, but I believe you can get the same kit from here in the USA..

Federation Models

If you click on "models kits", then "comet connection" it's right there. Can't tell you what the kit is like for quaility, but I hope it helps..

Cheers

Phil

Stargazer's 1/144 scale Discovery One maybe the best one out there right now. It's 31 inches long. Check out Starship Modeler's online store. They may have one in stock. I wish Timeslip would re-release the one they put out a couple of years back--over four feet long of Kubrick scifi goodness.

Years ago Lunar Models made a 36" Discovery kit. I had one for a long while and sold it. It was very much the garage kit and required a lot of clean up. The resin on the command module on mine was about 3/4" thick on one side and about .0005" thick on the other.

The older Lunar Models resin Discovery kit got a pre-build review, and a construction review by Michael Dentzer:
Starship Modeler - 2001: Lunar Models' Discovery Preview

Starship Modeler - 2001: Lunar Models' Discovery

I built one after reading Michael's write-ups, and I certainly would say that he nailed all the issues with the ship:
Starship Modeler: 2001 Sci-Fi Modeling Contest

Marco Scheloske in Germany built up the Comet kit:
Starship Modeler: Gallery (2001/2010)

Pat Sklenar did a preview of that same kit:
Starship Modeler - 2001 Discovery

Brian Thewlis did a nice build of the new Stargazer kit:
Starship Modeler - Stargazer Models' 2001 Discovery

Go for the Stargazer Discovery from Starship Modeller. It's usually out of stock, but you can preorder from the next run.

Both mastering and moulding were first class on mine. Construction requires patience, but no extraordinary skill. The spine modules need careful truing up and alignment. I built each module on a section of brass tube to slide over the steel spine rod. I made a couple of jigs to ensure proper and consistent alignment of each element.

The Lunar kit I had was poor. The Comet kit is small. Neither is as accurate as Stargazer's.

Visit his website to see the research and care that was taken in producing the kit.

If you can't afford it...start saving, you won't regret it.:)

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back