Patrolling the Mojave... NCR Trooper Build

Gundytron

Hello and welcome to my very first build thread! I'm making an NCR Trooper costume from Fallout: New Vegas. These guys:

NCR_trooper.jpg

At some point while I was playing the game I thought, "Man, I really like the way the NCR guys look. I should try to make a costume, but how?" Well, by some fortune I found the RPF and a few threads with info about using play-mat foam to make armor. "Brilliant!" I thought, "I have lots of that laying around in my basement!" And so, after laying out the dimensions, I headed over to my old high-school's shop and started cutting and forming the chest plate. Here's how it looked after the heat-gun and soldering-iron treatment:

Blank1.jpg

Blank2.jpg

It came out a little bit narrow, but I'm a skinny dude. Here's how it looks now, with the beginnings of the paint work:

Partialpaint.jpg

There's plenty more to be done, but I'm excited and will hopefully be working at a steady pace.

Last edited:
boy all you guys have some talent making the outfits, makes me want to play the game again....great now nothing will get done lol

Thanks!

Progress! Straight from the factory. I had to do the bear's highlights by hand.

Factory.jpg

Now I've got the weather it so it doesn't look so much like a cartoon. Also, I wanna say thanks to Kommissar for giving me a bit of advice.

Thanks! The first layer of the bear was a stencil, the second (lighter) layer was done with a brush while carefully eyeballing my TV :p

More and more. This is the first level of weathering:

weathering1.jpg

weatheringCU.jpg

And this is a pith helmet I bought that I'll be reshaping a little bit, and then painting:

Pithunmod1.jpg

pithunmod2.jpg

Hey, long time no update. I've made a pretty good amount of progress.
frontunfinished.jpg

backunfinished.jpg

Here's some detail on the armor straps,
velcro1.jpg

velcro2.jpg

The toy M-16 I ordered was pretty disappointing,
m16bare.jpg

It's tiny!
m16hold.jpg

But it looks pretty good with the wood grain contact paper on,
servicerifle.jpg

You have any pictures of the armor before you cured it to your body?

I'm afraid not, and I can't seem to find the paper templates I made. My chest plate is pretty off, though. I'm sure you could make a better one.

Here's what's left:
Make leather pauldrons and belts
Get puttees and arm wraps (probably going to be dyed ace bandages)
Sew upper-arm pockets
Weather the helmet a bit more
Borrow my friend's goggles

Unfortunately, there are and are going to be a lot of things about this costume that aren't perfect. However, it's stated many times in game that the NCR suffers from severe supply problems. I think it's that it's still faithful to the game.

Last edited:
A question of curiosity, went u painted the chest plate, did u use any primer? like mod pudge or anything to seal the foam?, because i worry that the paint might well fade from rubbing.

I did use a black primer, and I would recommend something to seal the paint because it has started to wear away around the edges.

Here I am making a stupid face with a Legionary at Anime Boston.

this is pretty cool, but you shoulda made the costume a tan color, instead of green, and fount or even made some goggles and it would perfect, oh and maybe added a shoulder pad

well done nice work on the paint job :)

Thanks!

this is pretty cool, but you shoulda made the costume a tan color, instead of green, and fount or even made some goggles and it would perfect, oh and maybe added a shoulder pad

I agree. I started running into the deadline as the con approached and wasn't able to find good motorcycle goggles or a more appropriately colored jacket. I did make leather shoulder pads, though.

ncr1.jpg

We'll pretend I'm from one of the northern NCR regiments for now :p

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

When I got this assignment, I was hoping there'd be more gambling.

well i have to say, you did put some effort into this, and none of the time spent puting this project together was wasted because the product is well worth the "sweat and blood" put into it;)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back