To base or not to base? That is the question (lifesize figures)

thegreatgalling

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I am trying to put together a resin C3PO, and I am contemplating a base. Sure they are fun, you get to decorate them like the movies, and it allows a lifsize to stand unaided without having to lean it against the wall...

But there was always something cool about having my favorite characters interact with the room, standing on my floor as if they were really there. A base instanstly turns a lifesize into a statue, instead of a more realistic portrayal.

What do yall' think?

Last edited:
Re: Base or not to base? That is the question (lifesize figures)

Couldn't you use a clear sheet of plexi as a base, that way he's still supported but you can still see the floor? if you do it right it might not even be noticeable.

personally I love themed bases for statues. I think it finishes the statue off.

I'm gonna be the voice of dissent and say no base. I am not even remotely interested in what the cool figure is standing on as much as the work is good. It can detract from the work, especially if it clashes with the figure. Luumzi had that red lighted base for his Palpatine which takes away a lot from the work.

or you could do those manaquin stands that go up the leg and have a round clear circle for the stand. I have seen alot of stormtrooper armor done the way
Jack

Yeah, I just use a mannequin stand for my guys, for just the reason galling said; people like to walk up to and around them and look closely.

From looking at some of the displays posted here, the life size look best with out a fancy base, the small figures look great with a decorated base.. FWIW

I'm in the no base camp (ha) as well. Or a really subtle base that doesn't detract from the figure. I don't care for bases or stands on my 3-3/4" and 12" action figures either, and that preference scales right up to life-sized.

That said, like the 3-3/4" and 12" action figures, a small environment for the figure is totally different. Environments can be pretty awesome, though require way more effort than just a simple base or stand.

Hi thegreatgalling,

you could always built C-3PO a nice wooden chair to sit comfortably like so :

c-3po_ewok_god_kitbash.jpg

c-3po_ewok_god_movie.jpg

perhaps even have him reading a newspaper in a corner of your livingroom :lol

-Chaim

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of using a base, but one night I happened to be in the room where my
Vader stands, when all of a sudden I heard this weird creaking noise. I turned around
just at the right momment to see him in mid fall.. I did the Nooooooooooooooo running
dive, and caught him right before he hit the floor.. He's now on a base lol

I'm not a fan of using a base, but one night I happened to be in the room where my
Vader stands, when all of a sudden I heard this weird creaking noise. I turned around
just at the right momment to see him in mid fall.. I did the Nooooooooooooooo running
dive, and caught him right before he hit the floor.. He's now on a base lol

:lol That is gold! :lol
I'm sure all of us liesize collectors have experienced something similar. With that said, I'm still a fan of not having a base. If nothing else, it just saves on room. My "museum" is almost on the cusp of looking crowded but discovered by not using bases it freed up quite a bit of room.

This was interesting to read, i agree with most no base BUT as with my aquariums i would at least do a hook in the wall and some king of attachment to prevent as stated above your piece falling forward to the floor. with my aquariums i use heavy duty metal drywall anchors even tho they should never fall forward just due to sheer weight....better safe that sorry tho wife is slightly concerned that half the wall will be missing if its does lol

Some of mine have bases and some don't. Having them allows you to uplight the character. I have a base for my vader which is hidden behind a couch. It has an orange pinspot light mounted on the base which lights up vader for that ESB feel. It also hides the 12v system that powers the light and sound modules. It also adds a little height to the vader. The same applies for my 3po etc. And it gives them that museum (don't touch) feel as well.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back