Pepper Potts' RESCUE Armor

Revari

Surprise, surprise! An Iron Man costume thread! :p

So amongst my list of other Pepper Potts' costumes for this year, I've been debating on possibly adding the RESCUE armor. My biggest hesitation is the costume's construction. Sewing? I can do. Crafting armor is a WHOLE different story, though. Not to mention the cost. I've already drawn up a large budget just for the rest of my costumes. Thank you special fabric shipped from England. <<

Anyway, I was perusing some forums and a spark of an idea popped into my head. Since I'm the closest thing to a fiberglass newbie, I was curious about crafting the armor out of craft foam. NOT the most durable medium, I know. (I'm already planning on this costume being a pretty while standing and HORRIBLE while moving type.) But I feel that it would be much cheaper than fiberglass and I know some friends who have made beautiful armor pieces out of it. For the base, I was thinking a silver spandex suit that I could possibly detail to add depth. Then I'd fit the red craft foam armor over that.

It's certainly NOT an idea set in stone. Just mulling over some thoughts and I decided to make them a little more public. Maybe get some advice or critique.

Thanks all! :)

I've seen some pretty cool stuff made from foam. In fact I recently made a full body Master Chief costume for my son using camping pad foam from Walmart. Came out better than expected. I have a thread for it here and there are several threads here making iron man suits from foam. Good Luck.

I've seen some pretty cool stuff made from foam. In fact I recently made a full body Master Chief costume for my son using camping pad foam from Walmart. Came out better than expected. I have a thread for it here and there are several threads here making iron man suits from foam. Good Luck.

My Iron man camping mat suit was easy to make!
i suggest going down that road if you dont mind a foam like texture...

This could be a very nice suit. The foam is the easiest way to go. I think personally it is. I have tried fiber glass and clay and plastic trash can... 2mm foamies and everything. The best i found wat the foam i use and it comes from a sporting goods store. And it has a smooth texture it is 1/4 inch and i move fine in mine. I am currently doing war machine and will also be doing an iron man with this stuff.

It runs 21$ a sheet but is 30square feet. It is actually the same price as the stuff from walmart but texture is a lot better. For 10square feet at walmart it ends up being 6.50. so i would try to find the sporting good stuff.

Here is a link of foam armor making Mass Effect N7 Armor Build! « Evil FX / BioWeapons.com

hope that helps and shows you what can be done

This could be a very nice suit. The foam is the easiest way to go. I think personally it is. I have tried fiber glass and clay and plastic trash can... 2mm foamies and everything. The best i found wat the foam i use and it comes from a sporting goods store. And it has a smooth texture it is 1/4 inch and i move fine in mine. I am currently doing war machine and will also be doing an iron man with this stuff.

It runs 21$ a sheet but is 30square feet. It is actually the same price as the stuff from walmart but texture is a lot better. For 10square feet at walmart it ends up being 6.50. so i would try to find the sporting good stuff.

Here is a link of foam armor making Mass Effect N7 Armor Build! « Evil FX / BioWeapons.com

hope that helps and shows you what can be done

I came across that tutorial when I was searching google for foam armor guides. It definitely looks interesting and that foam would be much sturdier it looks than regular craft foam. Nor will it have a porous texture. I'll have to look into it more.

I would love to see someone make a Rescue suit! I don't think I've seen people build anything other than helmets. You might want to check out the 405th forums if you do decide to go the fiberglass route. They have tons of tutorials and are a very friendly and helpful to newcomers. Either way, I hope you end up making a Rescue suit. (-:

Unfortunately, I can't give any advice on craft foam, and I'm still a fiberglass noob. But I can (and do) wish you luck!

as much as he is hated here,master le made a pepper potts rescue armor
http://masterle.org/
it can be found under cosplay

Not terrible, better than anything I could do anyway. Side note - His Berserk armor is....not as good as some others I've seen (berserk happens to be a big deal for me so I take any and all Berserk related material seriously :p). Final side note...P90x is pretty good but I prefer Insanity :p.

Well, Rescue has been upgraded and now has a new look.

Before: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100715063847/marveldatabase/images/3/30/Rescue.png

After: http://i.newsarama.com/images/invironman_29_coverwom_02.jpg

The helmet of the latest version of Rescue is closer to
the movie design.

4be99913260c9.jpg

For the front breast area, just buy a cheap plastic female mannequin hanging front and cut to fit. To me, the breast area is the most difficult part of the armor to fabricate. The rest of the armor could be accomplished with plastic trashcan armor, some disk pieces, and baseball helmets for shoulder armor.

Paul D.

@CSMacLaren -- I definitely prefer the updated version of her armor. The style of the first helmet is too pointy for my liking, which is one of the reasons why I'm not too fond of MasterLe's Rescue armor. That helmet just looks off to me and it doesn't sit right on the model. However, I'm in no way criticizing his work. He probably based his armor off that older design and it's just very... pointed to me.

@LOGANCLAW22 -- Good idea with the mannequin!! I'm worried about the chest area as well. I don't want them to come out looking too pointy or slope ( Another small dislike of MasterLe's armor).

I'm really hoping I can collaborate this with a friend, who can help me with the tech parts and if I do end up doing fiberglass. Right now, I'm still in planning stages, I've got a list of other costumes to work on for D*C this year. (Most of which are Pepper-related. Shocking, right? )

But I would love, love, LOVE to have a Rescue armor, so it is definitely a plan for the future.

@CSMacLaren -- I definitely prefer the updated version of her armor. The style of the first helmet is too pointy for my liking, which is one of the reasons why I'm not too fond of MasterLe's Rescue armor. That helmet just looks off to me and it doesn't sit right on the model. However, I'm in no way criticizing his work. He probably based his armor off that older design and it's just very... pointed to me.
Hello, I was one who collaborated with said masterle on the pepper potts, yeah his armor was based on the original rescue armor. I designed the arc reactor and helmet for that project depicted in these pics
IMG_4429.jpg

IMG00038.jpg
this was my last project i did with that person before we cut our ties forever, for obvious reasons. But what im offering is if have you any questions or anything that i will be willing to answer since i worked on a similar build. I also have a few Iron man style helmets under my belt as well, so can answer questions or maybe even help if you need.

@LOGANCLAW22 -- Awesome find! Thanks. That could definitely work as a base for molding. It's a much rounder bust.

@PhantomProphet -- Hello, Phantom!! :) You're craftmanship of the helmet is beautiful! I wish MasterLe had chosen the newer design because I would have loved to see your work on that helmet! The original's design of the very pointy chin is so odd for me, but your execution is grand. The engraving of the lines and the eyes catch my attention every time I look at the photo. ...Is it strange that I prefer the unpainted mock up a little more than the final version? I think I actually came across your DA and you had said that the helmet didn't sit on the model the way you intended. I'm so sorry if my earlier post made it seem like I didn't appreciate your work. It wasn't that at all. it's the original RESCUE design that I find odd. Even in the comics that helmet looks disproportioned, I think. Maybe I'm so used to seeing Iron Man that the helmet that closer resembles Tony's armor is the one I prefer.

Anyway, beautiful arc reactor as well! It seemed to shine really bright even in the pictures that were taken with the rest of the costume.

@PhantomProphet -- Hello, Phantom!! :) You're craftmanship of the helmet is beautiful! I wish MasterLe had chosen the newer design because I would have loved to see your work on that helmet! The original's design of the very pointy chin is so odd for me, but your execution is grand. The engraving of the lines and the eyes catch my attention every time I look at the photo. ...Is it strange that I prefer the unpainted mock up a little more than the final version? I think I actually came across your DA and you had said that the helmet didn't sit on the model the way you intended. I'm so sorry if my earlier post made it seem like I didn't appreciate your work. It wasn't that at all. it's the original RESCUE design that I find odd. Even in the comics that helmet looks disproportioned, I think. Maybe I'm so used to seeing Iron Man that the helmet that closer resembles Tony's armor is the one I prefer.

Anyway, beautiful arc reactor as well! It seemed to shine really bright even in the pictures that were taken with the rest of the costume.

nice too meet ya. I didnt take what you said in a bad tone. after being outed for my associations with masterLe, I dont take anything to heart. I didnt like how the original rescue was... it looked alien, but its what was wanted. When masterLe started that project for his client in L.A. the new suit was barely shown, and it was his client's say so on what was to be built. I created that helmet out of request of masterLe. Never asked for, or received any compensation for doing the helmet. I took it on as art project to help out my friend and business partner at the time. Took a little over a month to sculpt it. it was a off and on type project but it came out better than i thought. Kinda combined multiple versions to make it.

Had a thought. Its been a while since i've done anything Iron Man. Last thing I did was help a friend create his own helm... but it would be nice to get some of my work out there without the master Le name or reputation behind it. That Is if you want to hire a starving artist to create a wearable helm for ya.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back