Esb chestbox build from start to finish!!

Twofoot

I bought a very cheap fibreglass and resin kit off eBay and wanted to turn it into a reasonably accruate finished item.
The total cost for this was under £40 so I am very pleased.

Here is the kit in it's original state . As you can see there is no detail to anything and everything is joined together.
9c24b5a0.jpg

The first thing I did was replace the resin rods with metal ones.
52324148.jpg

The next thing I did was asses the rocker switches. Not that acurate!!
ef30fd51.jpg

So I ground off the original sliders and repaired the rocker switches with a bit if resin.
ae50e07c.jpg

The next thing I did was make some new sliders and rodtops out of resin as the ones that came with the kit were rubbish!
e115b9f1.jpg

Then I wet sanded everything.
7a921e4e.jpg

Then comes paint. 3 coats of gloss black cut back with 2500 grit wet and dry the 3 coats of clearcoat cut back with 2500 grit wrt and dry, then cut polished twice and then a final wax polish (twice!!).
3d4cd1b1.jpg

d683a92d.jpg

Then comes the essembly!!! :)
fcc7e22a.jpg

9ad9e6ff.jpg

At this point I repainted the coinslots so they have a black edge but I have noticed this allso makes the look a bit small :(.

And voila the finished result!! :)

68fe4527.jpg

095566a3.jpg

Excellent undertaking and turnout despite the crap you had to work with.
Not to nitpick but the coin slots are not spaced correctly . Thats what happened to me when I 1st tackled something like this.... had to reposition and f$#cked up the paint:wacko Nice effort on added detail concerning the greebs.

Nitpick away. I must admit I am not too happy with the coinslots but to move them I would have to repaint the entire thing which is not something I really want to do. If I do another one (possibly anh) I will make sure I work from a blueprint and get everything 100% correct from the start.

That looks really nice. I wouldn't worry about the spacing. Looks like the backing shrunk a bit too. If it were me i'd keep it and display it and collect parts for an upgrade later on. Make a new back and maybe get some metal coinslots too. Looks great as is though.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back